FORUMS

Corvettes: potentially overpowered?

Posted: //
April 29, 2016, 11:55 p.m.

I'd like the rest of the community's opinion on this.

Does anyone agree that in a pub setting (no real teamwork or communication), corvettes absolutely tear through anything and everything unreasonably quickly?

For those that have had the pleasure of teaming up with some friends and being coordinated enough to respond to a corvette assassin run, how well can it be countered?

Cheers smile

April 30, 2016, 12:04 a.m.

It gets hard countered quite well. The only problem with Corvettes is the same problem with stealth in any game, they obliterate people who don't know how to deal with them and die too easily to those that do. Very hard to balance.

Right now they are on the verge of OP against new players or those who have no situational awareness and they are quite UP against people who can see them while cloaked or always watch their back, bring tractor beams, aoes, etc.

April 30, 2016, 6:03 a.m.

A corvette can kill a sniper in 3 seconds

──そして…幾度目かの楽園の扉が開かれる……

April 30, 2016, 7:01 a.m.

No, they are far away from being overpowered.
We already had a lot of threads like that, all of them turned mostly into flame wars where new players are complaining about corvettes. We even had artillery threads and such.
Right now nothing is overpowered. However, pretty much everything is considered overpowered when new players have to deal with an experienced premade. But that's just because everything works against them. It's a lack of experience, not an issue with the balance. They get used to it someday.

April 30, 2016, 8:46 a.m.

Updated //
April 30, 2016, 8:55 a.m.

As one a fthe new players i have to back this up!
2 days ago i was raging about corvetts instatnly destroying my beloved Nox over and over. But now... after those few days of playing gave me the upperhand against those fresh little cannon foder.
Yes they still get me but only if i completly ignore them and with the right loadout you can even survive their initial burst.

April 30, 2016, 8:51 a.m.

Updated //
April 30, 2016, 8:51 a.m.

Harkonis#9343 posted (#post-26615)

It gets hard countered quite well. The only problem with Corvettes is the same problem with stealth in any game, they obliterate people who don't know how to deal with them and die too easily to those that do. Very hard to balance.

That pretty much sums it up. It's a L2P issue.

April 30, 2016, 8:53 a.m.

Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-26768)

No, they are far away from being overpowered.
We already had a lot of threads like that, all of them turned mostly into flame wars where new players are complaining about corvettes. We even had artillery threads and such.
Right now nothing is overpowered. However, pretty much everything is considered overpowered when new players have to deal with an experienced premade. But that's just because everything works against them. It's a lack of experience, not an issue with the balance. They get used to it someday.

^ +1 this

Dreadnought was
Dreadnought could be
Dreadnought might
But what is, is Dead for naught.

April 30, 2016, 2:36 p.m.

As someone who plays Vette, just use the tractor beam, and keep an energy pool for shields.

Most of my kills are from waiting for someone who's shooting at a target to shunt to weapons and run low.

And the tractor beam is ridiculously effective against Vettes.

Despise Corvettes if you must. Crush them underfoot, by all means. But do not ignore them. Battlefields are littered with the wreckage of Dreadnoughts whose crews ignored Corvettes.

April 30, 2016, 2:58 p.m.

As someone who mostly plays tactical cruisers, corvettes wreck me when they do things properly. As they should though. It is so satisfying to hit the bad ones though, especially those who don't understand I can see you in stealth coming straight at me. If people weren't complaining about corvettes being strong, due to their role in battle, then I would know they are utterly under powered.

April 30, 2016, 3:30 p.m.

Updated //
April 30, 2016, 3:34 p.m.

Coming with Medium Cloak and doing a Blast Pulse and Heavy Torpedoes followed by one or two shots is enough burst to take most of Tactical and Artillery Cruisers's HP before they can even react and pop their shield (if they even still have some energy...). Following that, just use Afterburner and you're mostly safe.

This very simple combo is very hard to counter in low ranks while being extremely effective.
Even Dreadnoughts and Destroyers can take heavy damage from that. Granted if a Destroyer react in time, the Corvette will probably be obliterated by FLAC canons.

But still, as a Corvette player, I have to admit that I'm able to get an enormous amount of easy kills currently at rank 9.
Maybe it's less effective at higher rank, but it can remain very frustrating for new players trying ships like Tactical and Artillery, making them think those are super weak.

Although, this is a very difficult thing to balance since lowering the amount of damage a Corvette can do will end up making them underpowered by a lot at higher level. Maybe reducing the cloack duration might force Corvette into spending most of their energy in Speed to get closer.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.