FORUMS

Corvettes: potentially overpowered?

Posted: //
May 13, 2017, 1:40 p.m.

MaxHoro#2243 posted (#post-120121)

"Well played vettes cannot be destroyed" - exactly. They are so much OP that most of the corvette players don't even bother to play well, they just stop behind you and use all modules. If you have a certain ship with anti-vette weapons (most of the ships don't have it), you have a chance to kill him, but if he plays properly, he is invincible.

Another voice of truth and reason. I suggest to make a poll in this forum. I am sure that the players who think that vettes are OP will be more than 60%.

May 14, 2017, 4:15 a.m.

I go 12-2 on my Dreadnought.. NERF DREADNOUGHTS, THEY'RE OP!! It takes more than 1 ships to focus on them so that they can be brought down.. oh wait...

smh

Yes sure, let's make a poll about ship balance in a game that doesn't even have comms yet and most newbies just warp ahead alone in the first 5 seconds of the game, only to die under the fire of 5 enemy ships and then ragequit. Let's give these guys a vote option on what to nerf right? Ignore the numbers, listen to the salt. Good call man. Why didn't the Devs think of that earlier?

Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in.
-Master Sergeant Farell

May 14, 2017, 3:17 p.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2017, 3:18 p.m.

Added TLDR; marker at the bottom smile

""Well played vettes cannot be destroyed" - exactly. They are so much OP that most of the corvette players don't even bother to play well, they just stop behind you and use all modules. If you have a certain ship with anti-vette weapons (most of the ships don't have it), you have a chance to kill him, but if he plays properly, he is invincible."
- MaxHoro
Well said MaxHoro.
"I go 12-2 on my Dreadnought.. NERF DREADNOUGHTS, THEY'RE OP!! It takes more than 1 ships to focus on them so that they can be brought down.. oh wait...

smh

Yes sure, let's make a poll about ship balance in a game that doesn't even have comms yet and most newbies just warp ahead alone in the first 5 seconds of the game, only to die under the fire of 5 enemy ships and then ragequit. Let's give these guys a vote option on what to nerf right? Ignore the numbers, listen to the salt. Good call man. Why didn't the Devs think of that earlier?"
-Divide-By-Zero
Its good to keep an eye on the newbies and noobs Divide-By-Zero (and its ok to be a newbie when playing etc smile Just filter them out smile The post(s) that I am currently reading are about people who have had either experiance owning (killing) with corvettes or being owend (killed) by Corvettes, and they have looked at the various options to counter them or had experiance with/about them, just read what MaxHoro said, its right on the money, and I will add to it from my experiance against Corvettes. And thanks for your input, good point to be aware of sources.
Moving on to my experiance playing against them with fair to skilled players controlling the ship. Corvettes have a "lowish" amount of hit points but the catch is, you have to hit it. There fast, small, and have shields too, try hit one by shooting at it with most ships, good luck. And if you are fortunate enough to hit one a few times, shields, blink, afterburner, c ya! And then heal up. Dynamics. Plus they don't need to hang around, they can just empty there payload, get a kill or two (depending on tear) and fly off (pop up attacks certainly included), it's the full package of the ship, not how many hit points a ship has or does not have.

And there are a lot more modules to choose from for the corvette to make sure it almost never dies.

Also, the shooting them before that get to you debate, does not work unless somthing close to the enitre team is shooting at it, or you can get trajectory/distance right every time, but even if you can to that, the player can just turn, or dive etc most of the time or more etc. The "look out for it!" debate, while someone is zoomed in shooting at a target and dodging fire and fireing back there is close to zero if not zero spare time to stop shooting and look around, voice coms can help at least a bit IF your on, not sure how much though, can be a lot of angles and positions etc. And no the mini map is not reliable, can "hide" from it.

Also just a note, iirc, I emptied a full flak guns clip into a Corvette one game, playing as an artillery cruiser, same tear, certianly looked like they all hit (hp going down), it did not even put shields up, just took it on the hull and flew off.

TLDR;

From my experience so far the problem here is Corvettes are too tanky because they are so hard to hit and can deal with / dodge most ships modules, and have enough hit points to deal with a few rounds that hit them in a row from time to time, and thats even without active shields, that's why they almost never die etc.

Anyways, hope this gave some insight,

All the best o/

May 17, 2017, 1:20 p.m.

Well I was talking only about the "vettes are OP" issue.

Anyway, I have tried to use stasis missiles many times but the vette can avoid it really easily. 8/10 times the missile never hits the target. In my opinion the flak guns should be stronger and more precise. Also the beams of the tac ships cant focus fast enough on the vette unless the vette is close enough to destroy your ship easily. That's why I do not accept the counter measures that some players suggest in order to deal with the vettes. I know how to use the counter modules but they are just not effective enough when it comes to vettes and especially the tankvettes. Can anyone of you show us videos on how to successfully deal a well played vette by using for axmple an arty ship?

Thanks in advance.

May 17, 2017, 1:33 p.m.

There not it takes maybe three shots from a dreadnoughts main gun to end a vette and its not hard to pull off either, thats not even talking skills if u use missiles it wrecks vettes if u can keep some heat on so they have to waste power and if u team up they are toasted in a sec

May 18, 2017, 2:36 a.m.

Stasis missiles hit vettes just fine most of the times unless you fire them from 11km away. Preferably you'll want to fire it when its blink is in cooldown. Even if the missile wont do it for you, there are many other options like the pulse, the tractor beam, pods.. there are at least 3 different ways to slow them down.

When i see people even complaining about the tactical's beam weapon - which is probably the BEST anti-vette main/secondary weapon in the game - it makes it even more clear to me that it's really not the Corvette that is OP. The problem is elsewhere.

Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in.
-Master Sergeant Farell

May 18, 2017, 6:37 a.m.

Divide-By-Zero#3135 posted (#post-120705)

Stasis missiles hit vettes just fine most of the times unless you fire them from 11km away. Preferably you'll want to fire it when its blink is in cooldown. Even if the missile wont do it for you, there are many other options like the pulse, the tractor beam, pods.. there are at least 3 different ways to slow them down.

When i see people even complaining about the tactical's beam weapon - which is probably the BEST anti-vette main/secondary weapon in the game - it makes it even more clear to me that it's really not the Corvette that is OP. The problem is elsewhere.

I know where the problem is....
Lack of modules to deal with them for T3 and below.
And players that do not know how to deal with them.
Its sad.

How to Avoid Being Pubstomped by Corvettes: https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/64495/

Using Palos to Counter Corvettes: https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/65419/

May 18, 2017, 7:15 p.m.

Updated //
May 18, 2017, 7:28 p.m.

I go 12-2 on my Dreadnought.. NERF DREADNOUGHTS, THEY'RE OP!! It takes more than 1 ships to focus on them so that they can be brought down.. oh wait...

smh

Yes sure, let's make a poll about ship balance in a game that doesn't even have comms yet and most newbies just warp ahead alone in the first 5 seconds of the game, only to die under the fire of 5 enemy ships and then ragequit. Let's give these guys a vote option on what to nerf right? Ignore the numbers, listen to the salt. Good call man. Why didn't the Devs think of that earlier?

-Divide-By-Zero

If the poster says "I warped into five non damaged Tear IV dreadnoughts with my Tear II destroyer and I got blow up, destroyers need a buff" Yes, I must agree with you, that player does not grasp basic tactics and should not be listened too.

However, if somone says "I am using all the ships modules correctly, engaging one on one, and still getting blow up just about every time" That player has a point, and should be listened too, and that's what im reading.

There not it takes maybe three shots from a dreadnoughts main gun to end a vette and its not hard to pull off either, thats not even talking skills if u use missiles it wrecks vettes if u can keep some heat on so they have to waste power and if u team up they are toasted in a sec

-Hawko

A note, so far ive played up to Tear III ships. Can't remember exact tears with these experiences for attacker and defender, but I remember fireing a broadside at a Corvette once, and the vast majority of the shots hit, if not all, I also hit the Corvette with my main weapon. The Corvette, did not even raise shields, it just flew off. Think i was Tear II at the time, but still, chances of killing it when played well, currently somewhere near zero. Another experiance I had was playing as a Artillery Cruiser I emptyed my enitier flack clip into a corvette, it also did not raise shileds, just ate it up, cant remember the exact tear but still, the chances of killing the corvettes is basicly zero in those cases.

Corvettes are small and fast which means you are not going to hit them much with projectile rounds, which most ships are fitted with, when they (Corvettes) are moving because rounds take too long to travel, and even if you are the best shooter in the history of gaming and do get trajectory right one hundered perecent of the time, a skilled Corvette player can dodge rounds at sufficient range, and if you do for some reason actually connect a round or two, the Corvette can easily tank it on the hull and keep on going, does not even need to up shields, the hull is enough.

You also don't have much time to shoot them when they pop up or sneak up, Corvette are burst dps, so they just empty there payload, kill you a lot of the time and then fly off. If you do spot one closing in, and have modules avialable to you that are funtional, and have them fitted, and have them ready, and can fire everything and hit with eveything then yes, you have a fiar chance of downing one. Of couse it can just activate shields and choose to fly off, and if things really get tight, it can blink and activate speed modules. Yes if the entire team fires at it, it stands a fair chance of being killed, or if its a noob or a freash newbie.

Besides that, good luck killing it. And good luck seeing a Corvette coming too, when you are engaged, options are fire back and dogde multible shots/ships fireing at you, or stop fireing main weapons and aimed modules and keep looking around for a Corvette all the time. Can't fire back and lookout at the same time, and the mini map is not a reliable source of situational awareness as ships do not always show up because of xyz, (as intended I think) .

From a Tear I to Tear III experiance, Corvettes are differently overpowed so far. Would be more balanced if there hit points were lower or if there were more modules that were effective instead of the mostly token ones that are currently the only options available to most ships. Token in that the covette can either out tank, or out maneuver or out run most modles, and a skilled Coevette will know how to do all that, leaving you with little to no options to kill it.

Maby when I get to Tear IV or V things will be different? Will see if/when I get there. With regards to this post, happy to be proved right and happy to be proved wrong. Test and see ; )

May 18, 2017, 7:32 p.m.

smh

-Divide-By-Zero

If the poster says "I warped into five non damaged Tear IV dreadnoughts with my Tear II destroyer and I got blow up, destroyers need a buff" Yes, I must agree with you, that player does not grasp basic tactics and should not be listened too.

However, if somone says "I am using all the ships moduels correctly, engaging one on one, and still getting blow up just about every time" That player has a point, and should be listened too, and that's what im reading.

-Hawko

A note, so far ive played up to Tear III ships. Can't remember exact tears with these experiences for attacker and defender, but I remember fireing a broadside at a Corvette once, and the vast majority of the shots hit, if not all, I also hit the Corvette with my main weapon. The Corvette, did not even raise shields, it just flew off. Think i was Tear II at the time, but still, chances of killing it when played well, currently somewhere near zero. Another experiance I had was playing as a Artillery Cruiser I emptyed my enitier flack clip into a corvette, it also did not raise shileds, just ate it up, cant remember the exact tear but still, the chances of killing the corvettes is basicly zero in those cases.

Corvettes are small and fast which means you are not going to hit them much with projectile rounds, which most ships are fitted with, when they (Corvettes) are moving because rounds take too long to travel, and even if you are the best shooter in the history of gaming and do get trajectory right one hundered perecent of the time, a skilled Corvette player can dodge rounds at sufficient range, and if you do for some reason actually connect a round or two, the Corvette can easily tank it on the hull and keep on going, does not even need to up shields, the hull is enough.

You also don't have much time to shoot them when they pop up or sneak up, Corvette are burst dps, so they just empty there payload, kill you a lot of the time and then fly off. If you do spot one closing in, and have modules avialable to you that are funtional, and have them fitted, and have them ready, and can fire everything and hit with eveything then yes, you have a fiar chance of downing one. Of couse it can just activate shields and choose to fly off, and if things really get tight, it can blink and activate speed modules. Yes if the entire team fires at it, it stands a fair chance of being killed, or if its a noob or a freash newbie.

Besides that, good luck killing it. And good luck seeing a Corvette coming too, when you are engaged, options are fire back and dogde multible shots/ships fireing at you, or stop fireing main weapons and aimed modules and keep looking around for a Corvette all the time. Can't fire back and lookout at the same time, and the mini map is not a reliable source of situational awareness as ships do not always show up because of xyz, (as intended I think) .

From a Tear I to Tear III experiance, Corvettes are differently overpowed so far. Would be more balanced if there hit points were lower or if there were more modules that were effective instead of the mostly token ones that are currently the only options available to most ships. Token in that the covette can either out tank, or out maneuver or out run most modles, and a skilled Coevette will know how to do all that, leaving you with little to no options to kill it.

Maby when I get to Tear IV or V things will be different? Will see if/when I get there. With regards to this post, happy to be proved right and happy to be proved wrong. Test and see ; )

May 18, 2017, 7:36 p.m.

smh

-Divide-By-Zero

However, if somone says "I am using all the ships moduels correctly, engaging one on one, and still getting blow up just about every time" That player has a point, and should be listened too, and that's what im reading.

-Hawko

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.