FORUMS

A couple things that still ruin my fun with this.

Posted: //
April 30, 2016, 2:42 p.m.

Updated //
May 1, 2016, 3:46 p.m.

So basically my impression of this beta test:

Corvettes are still absolutely no fun to play against. For me it just ruins the fun to go up against enemies that you can't fight within the game's fundamentals, the only way you can ever defend yourself is to have the right ability ready. The basic gameplay of a game should always be built on fundamentals, not lazy systems like abilities that purely exist to counter some overpowered thing that will murder you in seconds if you don't hit that exact button at the right time.

The energy wheel still [Edited]. Why can't I just activate these things with easy button presses instead of having to use the silly wheel? Why can I not have a button I can hold down to raise shields or boost when moving? Nobody would think it makes any sense if in Dark Souls you had to go through a wheel to activate blocking mode or running mode instead of just blocking or running when you want to. This seems like pretty basic stuff for creating good controls, so why should it simply be ignored here? I mean we're not exactly cleverly rerouting energy through a complex system here. You want to raise shields the exact same way that you would block an attack in a third person RPG, by bringing them up shortly before you get hit and then lowering them again. Why can't that be done by holding a shields button rather than having to activate and deactivate shield mode? It's not like you ever have enough energy to maintain those modes for such a long time that you need toggles for them anyways.

Given how often this game loses connection from a match, I think it's incredibly obnoxious that you simply lose all the score you've earned. I'm in a match earning thousands of points and ribbons, being pretty close to victory, and then the game disconnects. Now industry standard would be that you come back, get to connect back to that match if its still running and continue to play, or if it isn't running everything you've earned is still transferred to you. In this game it's simply gone. Everything you just did for nothing because of a disconnect. That's just not acceptable.

Why is it that you need to be level 25 to buy some of the ships? Are they better than the others? No? Then why can't I use them? There is nothing that turns me off from a game more quickly than getting slapped with arbitrary restrictions to what I can or cannot use that simply assume I'm OK with playing for hours upon hours to unlock something I want to try out. I would have no problem with having to level up to unlock additional hangars for ships, so I can't instantly buy all of them, but I should have free choice of what I want to start with, rather than right out of the gate getting hit with a giant level gate just for being allowed to even try the ship that I find interesting.

April 30, 2016, 2:47 p.m.

Updated //
April 30, 2016, 2:49 p.m.

You can use the f1-f4 key to power up stuff.
F1-engines
F2-shields
F3-weapons
F4-cancel

Also u can still use the level 15 trader ships, cant upgrade them tho.

April 30, 2016, 4:24 p.m.

Updated //
April 30, 2016, 4:27 p.m.

I don't want to have to toggle things like shields at all, I just want a block button and a boost button, because that's how power to shields and engines are used in this game. Nobody goes "Well, better toggle these shields on because we better have them on for the next few minutes.", you just go "Uh oh, big hits incoming, shields up! Danger averted, shields down!" There is no reason to do that with a toggle, it's clunky and just bad controls.

I see absolutely no reason why there should be level restrictions on ships at all. Just let me get whatever ship I want and let me get more ships as I level up, don't make me play for days with ships I don't really care about.

April 30, 2016, 4:36 p.m.

Updated //
April 30, 2016, 4:44 p.m.

Actually im nearly breaking my fingers as it is , having to hold more buttons at once could be......
devastating.
But thats probably a corvette problem.

April 30, 2016, 6:43 p.m.

Aetrion#4710 posted (#post-27152)

I don't want to have to toggle things like shields at all, I just want a block button and a boost button, because that's how power to shields and engines are used in this game. Nobody goes "Well, better toggle these shields on because we better have them on for the next few minutes.", you just go "Uh oh, big hits incoming, shields up! Danger averted, shields down!" There is no reason to do that with a toggle, it's clunky and just bad controls.

I see absolutely no reason why there should be level restrictions on ships at all. Just let me get whatever ship I want and let me get more ships as I level up, don't make me play for days with ships I don't really care about.

Then set up a block and boost button? they haven't done controls in game yet but it's in the game files easily enough to modify.

April 30, 2016, 7:31 p.m.

I don't disagree with the wheel problem but I do disagree with your issue about ship pricing and the like.

I enjoy working towards something as most people do. This game is similar to WOT and other similar titles, it's all about the progression!

April 30, 2016, 7:43 p.m.

Progression is fine,something to fast is never no good nor no fun.The wheel is a little frustrating at times and does need a little work

May 1, 2016, 12:45 p.m.

1: Corvettes are fine.

2: F1-F4 are hotkeys to manage energy. Key rebinding is Soon TM.

3: Beta will Beta. Servers will be unstable until devs fix it.

4: That is called progression and incentive to keep grinding.

Toggling energy is what provides the skill ceiling and floor.

'Member when SixFoot tried to justify making Dreadnought P2W? I Do! No seriously I 'member! Also 'member "The Article"? I 'member!
SixFoot, a very accurate company name. They only bury their games Six Feet under.

May 1, 2016, 2:02 p.m.

Shortstack#5480 posted [(#post-27240)]
I enjoy working towards something as most people do. This game is similar to WOT and other similar titles, it's all about the progression!

Progression is fine, but what this game is doing is like forcing you to max out French tanks to be allowed to play German. What if you would have preferred to start with German? They aren't objectively better, they are just different and may be better suited to what you're looking for in the game, so there is no good reason to gate them behind something different.

This game does the same thing when it makes you go through 25 levels with one set of ships just to gain access to other ships that aren't better in any way, they are just different and you might prefer them to what the game forces you to use.

May 1, 2016, 2:59 p.m.

Aetrion#4710 posted (#post-27866)

Shortstack#5480 posted [(#post-27240)]

Progression is fine, but what this game is doing is like forcing you to max out French tanks to be allowed to play German. What if you would have preferred to start with German? They aren't objectively better, they are just different and may be better suited to what you're looking for in the game, so there is no good reason to gate them behind something different.

This game does the same thing when it makes you go through 25 levels with one set of ships just to gain access to other ships that aren't better in any way, they are just different and you might prefer them to what the game forces you to use.

Well maybe this game isn't for you. I played through the alphas and they have tweaked the game a lot. They can make a game tailored to everyone. They have a vision and a reason on how they want the game to be. I have none of the complaints that you have and I really enjoy the game. Do they change the game and cater to you or leave it like it is for me? That is why it is up to them how their game is setup and if I don't like it I just won't play. The same choice you have.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.