FORUMS

Corvettes OP

Posted: //
May 4, 2016, 11:11 a.m.

Yukichigai#3359 posted (#post-30320)

If a Corvette catches a Tac Cruiser even remotely separated from the rest of the team there's literally nothing they can do without endgame-level modules.

I'm leaning toward saying "working as intended" when you're saying the only ship that doesn't trade 1:1 against a Corvette is the support ship that's been caught not doing its job as a support ship.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

May 4, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

I can see both sides of this argument, and I am not sure which side to join. I am quite skilled at using corvettes, and there have been times when I singlehandedly pull my team to victory from an 85-50 disadvantage. There have also been times where I was the cause of the enemy team doing the same thing. The corvette is an interesting beast. If timed and executed correctly, it is unparalleled in destructive force, or it is spam killed until the enemy team wins. I think the best way to beat them is to not let them close, and if so, use a tractor beam and shields to flatten it. Sure, cloak lets them get a major surprise advantage, but if the pilot makes even the slightest mistake, he is done. One of my biggest annoyances are when I skim a rock while boosting away, spin out and get vaporized. For me, I find one of the most effective anti-corvette systems is a blast pulse. It hits me for enough damage to force a retreat, and weakens me enough to be taken down easily. Another good strategy is to have a friendly valcor corvette on standby to chase down fleeing hostile corvettes, gaining an easy kill and forcing them out. I mostly use it for distraction strikes, giving allies an opening to attack, use it to finish off an enemy ship, or to spam kill hostile tac cruisers who are sheltering away from the battle.

Play smart, you win. Play dumb, you loose. Teamwork is the best way to secure victory. Lack of teamwork is a certain defeat.

May 4, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

I've never died from a Corvette before realizing it was there, and I've yet to die from a Corvette in a Dreadnought. Once you realize a lot of your health is dropping really fast you should be shelling up and finding the pesky insect. Since my Dread is meant for close combat I'll just grab the insect and fire all cannons into it.

Anyways, as a Dread why are you alone? You either need fire support or a repair ship to assist you.

May 4, 2016, 12:29 p.m.

I've been playing pretty much only corvette since the alpha. Here's my thoughts.

For my experience in this, I usually go 10-2 or better. I have been complimented many times on my piloting skills, and enemies either quickly learn or die fast. I have not finished a game in negative k/d since my 12th or so game. I run the Fulgora with Blink, Heavy Torps, Anti-Missle Pulse, and Afterburner. Briefings help, but I find they're not as critical to my gameplay as play style and ability.

Now, advice on how to stop corvettes and why they aren't op. Against a team that doesn't know what they're doing, I will go 14-0, but against a team with experience, I can be held to 4-4. This is because I prey on the weak. Here's a short list of how you can stop me from taking you out in under 10 seconds:
- Shields: If you start taking fire from a direction you aren't looking, shield immediately. This not only protects you, but also deters me from continuing.
- Energy: Don't waste all your energy on offense. I look for people with no energy. It means they can't shield which means they're dead. If you're on the offense, turn off weapons at 50% energy to save for shielding. This also helps against nukes.
- Teammates: Stay near them. Especially the tac cruiser. This isn't just for your safety. It's for theirs as well. If your team stays together, I will be forced to jump in to deal damage. This leaves me open to fire.
- Spotting: If you see the corvette, SPOT ME. If your teammates spot someone near you, SHOOT ME. Seriously, this is why I have never gone negative. I can take out the destroyer, arty, or tac and just casually fly away in 90% of encounters.
- Modules: Build your ship for what you have trouble with. If corvettes are eating you, pick modules to fight corvettes. You don't need to kill a dreadnought by yourself. Surviving to fight with the team is 10x more useful. Tractor beams, scrambler, drain torpedoes, ability drain, and other such things that are annoying can be deadly to a corvette.
- Missles: To be honest, don't pick missles to fight corvettes. Use this slot for other matches. Do, however, fire missles at corvettes. You will almost never kill me, but it does annoy me.
- Arty: Movement. Arties are sitting ducks for me. If you're using anything except the Nox, don't expect to beat me 1v1. Run as fast as you can and hope your teammates get me. Also, don't sit away from your team. Or do. I love easy targets.
- Annoy: If I go 10-8, chances are your team still loses. If I go 4-0, generally my team loses. If you can slow me down by annoying me, or just surviving, my team stands much less of a chance. An annoyance can stop me from taking out your healer.
- Corvettes: If you want to fight me in a corvette, don't pick stealth. I can see you from a mile away. What takes me off guard is when you go from 5k to 1k in 2 seconds flat. That usually forces me to flee. If you're stealthed, I will be ready to shoot you as soon as the situation fits. Also, anti-missle pulse. Lasers are too slow when I launch missles at 400m. Your torps can either be heavy or drain. I find a lot of people don't run missle defense, but if they do, drain torps are better. If they don't, heavy torps usually kill them. Also, don't pick the light corvette. Firing angles are important in a dog fight. I love chasing you down when you can't fight back.

Anyways, those are my basic tips. If you can't beat the corvette, annoy him. Don't sit away from your team. SHIELDS. Seriously, shields. Without the drain torpedo, the only ships I can take out if they sheild are other corvettes or artillery cruisers.

May 4, 2016, 1:27 p.m.

Thasarion#5795 posted (#post-30545)

I find one of the most effective anti-corvette systems is a blast pulse. It hits me for enough damage to force a retreat, and weakens me enough to be taken down easily.

The blast pulse has a short range though, you can easily stay out of range.

May 4, 2016, 1:34 p.m.

There have been games where I've done reasonably well just focusing on taking out Corvettes. If I see a Corvette on their team in ship select, you can bet that I'm taking my Cattaro out for a spin.

Drop Tesla Pod, missiles and Blast Pulse when they get close enough, and power to weapons and zap them to cinders.

Additionally, if you are running a ship that has a pulse ability, and it randomly turns green (signifying a lock), hit it and look around. It's a great little trick that I just picked up.

"Good news travels slowly; bad news has wings."

May 4, 2016, 1:47 p.m.

i digress it all depends on the matchmaking , ive seen corvettes take a insane amount of damage , and fly away, you can spot them from afar and with out seeing there shield it they take no damage at all from a art .blast , then you look and see the vette captain is 8 levels above you . now is that skill or the mods ??
some tweaking needs to be done . if you see a vette it should DIE not tank anything . a art crusier that is fired apon cant tank it has to retreat in order to survive , a vette can just loop around and take nothing , certain weapons should decimate a a vette but dont . they go thru my shields even with a energy booster this is my experience with them . the only vette thats no threat is one thats below my level anything my level or above is OPed , they need to take the shield away use the damage reduction instead that would go a long way to balance it out . a arty blast should shred a vette period .
just my experience

May 4, 2016, 3:06 p.m.

Updated //
May 4, 2016, 3:08 p.m.

If you die to one it's your fault for not being "aware" of him/them. I used to die horribly but now I mow them down with my ballistic cannons because I keep my eyes open for them....

May 4, 2016, 3:15 p.m.

10 seconds is a LONG time for a Corvette to kill a target. Corvette's can usually gimp other vettes/taccruis/artcruis in about 3-4 seconds. So having a full 10 second fight against a vette is PLENTY of time for your team to help you, activate shields, use your anit-vette mods (if applicable), stay with your team.

As a vette player myself, I tend to avoid Dreads/Destroyers because of how long they take to kill by myself, especially if the team is grouped together.

May 4, 2016, 9:01 p.m.

obliviondoll#5677 posted (#post-30511)

Yukichigai#3359 posted (#post-30320)

If a Corvette catches a Tac Cruiser even remotely separated from the rest of the team there's literally nothing they can do without endgame-level modules.

I'm leaning toward saying "working as intended" when you're saying the only ship that doesn't trade 1:1 against a Corvette is the support ship that's been caught not doing its job as a support ship.

As I said, I'm not saying if that's bad or good. I am saying that "all ships can trade kills 1:1 with Corvettes" is wrong though.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.