I've been playing pretty much only corvette since the alpha. Here's my thoughts.
For my experience in this, I usually go 10-2 or better. I have been complimented many times on my piloting skills, and enemies either quickly learn or die fast. I have not finished a game in negative k/d since my 12th or so game. I run the Fulgora with Blink, Heavy Torps, Anti-Missle Pulse, and Afterburner. Briefings help, but I find they're not as critical to my gameplay as play style and ability.
Now, advice on how to stop corvettes and why they aren't op. Against a team that doesn't know what they're doing, I will go 14-0, but against a team with experience, I can be held to 4-4. This is because I prey on the weak. Here's a short list of how you can stop me from taking you out in under 10 seconds:
- Shields: If you start taking fire from a direction you aren't looking, shield immediately. This not only protects you, but also deters me from continuing.
- Energy: Don't waste all your energy on offense. I look for people with no energy. It means they can't shield which means they're dead. If you're on the offense, turn off weapons at 50% energy to save for shielding. This also helps against nukes.
- Teammates: Stay near them. Especially the tac cruiser. This isn't just for your safety. It's for theirs as well. If your team stays together, I will be forced to jump in to deal damage. This leaves me open to fire.
- Spotting: If you see the corvette, SPOT ME. If your teammates spot someone near you, SHOOT ME. Seriously, this is why I have never gone negative. I can take out the destroyer, arty, or tac and just casually fly away in 90% of encounters.
- Modules: Build your ship for what you have trouble with. If corvettes are eating you, pick modules to fight corvettes. You don't need to kill a dreadnought by yourself. Surviving to fight with the team is 10x more useful. Tractor beams, scrambler, drain torpedoes, ability drain, and other such things that are annoying can be deadly to a corvette.
- Missles: To be honest, don't pick missles to fight corvettes. Use this slot for other matches. Do, however, fire missles at corvettes. You will almost never kill me, but it does annoy me.
- Arty: Movement. Arties are sitting ducks for me. If you're using anything except the Nox, don't expect to beat me 1v1. Run as fast as you can and hope your teammates get me. Also, don't sit away from your team. Or do. I love easy targets.
- Annoy: If I go 10-8, chances are your team still loses. If I go 4-0, generally my team loses. If you can slow me down by annoying me, or just surviving, my team stands much less of a chance. An annoyance can stop me from taking out your healer.
- Corvettes: If you want to fight me in a corvette, don't pick stealth. I can see you from a mile away. What takes me off guard is when you go from 5k to 1k in 2 seconds flat. That usually forces me to flee. If you're stealthed, I will be ready to shoot you as soon as the situation fits. Also, anti-missle pulse. Lasers are too slow when I launch missles at 400m. Your torps can either be heavy or drain. I find a lot of people don't run missle defense, but if they do, drain torps are better. If they don't, heavy torps usually kill them. Also, don't pick the light corvette. Firing angles are important in a dog fight. I love chasing you down when you can't fight back.
Anyways, those are my basic tips. If you can't beat the corvette, annoy him. Don't sit away from your team. SHIELDS. Seriously, shields. Without the drain torpedo, the only ships I can take out if they sheild are other corvettes or artillery cruisers.