FORUMS

Corvettes OP

Posted: //
May 2, 2016, 12:12 a.m.

Blackhound#7645 posted (#post-28252)

I farm Corvettes in my Aion for team victories. Often they get the point and quit to play some other kind of ship...

That's what I've started doing. Get an extremely anti-corvette loadout and just wait for the fishies to get close to the squishy ;-).

May 2, 2016, 12:43 a.m.

Blackhound#7645 posted (#post-28252)

I farm Corvettes in my Aion for team victories. Often they get the point and quit to play some other kind of ship...

That gave me an idea for some next level mind games. Take two different Tac Cruiser loadouts, one for anti corvette and one for healing. Use the anti corvette to make their life miserable tell they switch off, then you can suicide and switch over to the healer loadout.

May 2, 2016, 2:18 a.m.

If a single class of ship needs a dedicated counter to it, then it's broken. You don't need anti-Dread, anti-Arty, anti-Tac, or anti-Dessy ships; they all rock/paper/scissors out. If one player on the team needs to divert themselves to anti-Vette duty, that's absolutely broken. If a ship is able to cloak, get to within suicidally-close range, deal all sorts of god-tier damage, then fly away...Considering that Corvettes seemed to be intended for scouting purposes and maybe deal some damage to the more-vulnerable ships, they seem horribly misplaced from their original purpose. Assassin builds are fine, but they should never be able to trade more than ship for ship. They should NOT be able to take down 3 ships in the span of 30 seconds just because ships used missiles and they got pulsed out of the air, leaving them mostly defenseless.

At this point, however, I've noticed they're in the same category as AWP's in Counterstrike. They're not easy to learn, but, once you've learned, it turns into something outrageous. You can't nerf them because then you have a whole bunch of angry players who will never fly Corvettes again, leaving the class underplayed. But then lots of other players complain about the fact that shielded Dreads will still die extremely quickly to concentrated cloaky-Vette attacks. The result for Grey Box is a headache that they probably will ignore, at least for the time being. The problem remains that Corvettes are able to burst anything other than Arties, other Vettes, and light Tacs, and I don't see that problem going away.

May 2, 2016, 2:53 a.m.

i cant hear you over my healer beam cutting corvettes into ribbons...

Pirate from 'Down Under'. Amateur writer. Poster of Gifs.
Clearly can't quote to save a life.

May 2, 2016, 3:31 a.m.

I don't think the corvette should be able to use blast pulse, simple as that. The fact that the fastest ship with stealth, afterburner, and warp at their disposal having the ability to appear beside your tech cruisers and artillery cruisers and destroy them before they have a chance to throw up their shields is a little stupid. It's more the fact that they're still allowed to take the heavy torpedoes as well as the blast pulse that makes them so dangerous so they can just appear beside you and just blow all their cooldowns and get a double kill.

Also this is a closed beta. It's our job to bring complaints and suggestions to the Dev team, so try not to just shoot down every single post that tries to bring something to light. It discourages people from doing said job.

May 2, 2016, 4:37 a.m.

Updated //
May 2, 2016, 4:38 a.m.

I played a lot of games with corvettes (rank 19 atm), and they are overpowered ... against unskilled players.

When I see a healer or an artillery far from their mates and without energy, I come at their back cloaked, I enhance my guns, fire torpidos, burst my bullets plus pulse and I get out and YES, it's a free kill.

But, if he's got energy, or self repair, or the armor boost for 2 seconds, then I can't do sh*t.

Yesterday I played against an artillery who sat at the top of the map, he ALWAYS spotted me while invisible, because he was a good player. And yet, if I managed to come sneaky at his back and burst him, he just activated the 2 seconds armor boost and switch energy to armor, and I can't do sh*t because of his flak cannons.

A destroyer without energy is a good target for me too, maybe I can deal 50 to 70 percent of his life in damages and my mates will finish him, but as a destroyer you have to stay close to your healer and keep a bit a energy in case of enemy corvettes and or nukes.

Even a good healer just burn me with his main weapon, if you keep eyes opened and you are quick to switch to armor mode, and you are smart enough to keep a bit of energy to your shield, corvette isn't a problem. At all. And sry for this poor english

May 2, 2016, 5:17 a.m.

i usual spot them early enough and then shields up and flak turrets do the job...mostly they cant kill me when your cautious!

May 2, 2016, 6:41 a.m.

fettsheir#5837 posted (#post-28315)

If a single class of ship needs a dedicated counter to it, then it's broken. You don't need anti-Dread, anti-Arty, anti-Tac, or anti-Dessy ships; they all rock/paper/scissors out. If one player on the team needs to divert themselves to anti-Vette duty, that's absolutely broken.

If the enemy team is heavy on Dreadnoughts, and you don't have something that acts as the rock to their scissors, you're in trouble. You absolutely DO need to consider your team composition. That said, you don't need a "dedicated" build to kill Corvettes. Just someone willing to keep an eye out for them, with good close-range weapons. Or competent teamwork, you know, the kind of thing that makes that rock/paper/scissors mentality worth the effort.

If a ship is able to cloak, get to within suicidally-close range, deal all sorts of god-tier damage, then fly away...Considering that Corvettes seemed to be intended for scouting purposes and maybe deal some damage to the more-vulnerable ships, they seem horribly misplaced from their original purpose.

They're intended to hunt out VULNERABLE targets. Lone ships they can catch off-guard. Or fragile ships if the enemy are sticking together - although in that case, they need to be careful to avoid being lit up before they're close.

Assassin builds are fine, but they should never be able to trade more than ship for ship. They should NOT be able to take down 3 ships in the span of 30 seconds just because ships used missiles and they got pulsed out of the air, leaving them mostly defenseless.

They took down 3 ships in 30 seconds because the Corvette player was REALLY good, and your ships weren't paying attention. I've taken down 3 ships in 30 seconds in an Artillery Cruiser and in a Destroyer. It's not unique to Corvettes to be good at wrecking people who don't know what they're doing.

At this point, however, I've noticed they're in the same category as AWP's in Counterstrike. They're not easy to learn, but, once you've learned, it turns into something outrageous. You can't nerf them because then you have a whole bunch of angry players who will never fly Corvettes again, leaving the class underplayed. But then lots of other players complain about the fact that shielded Dreads will still die extremely quickly to concentrated cloaky-Vette attacks. The result for Grey Box is a headache that they probably will ignore, at least for the time being. The problem remains that Corvettes are able to burst anything other than Arties, other Vettes, and light Tacs, and I don't see that problem going away.

Shielded Dreadnoughts that can't handle a Corvette either missed the shield option and accidentally boosted their thrusters instead, or forgot they brought an Artillery Cruiser and not a Dreadnought and are wondering why their locks them in place for a few seconds and keeps misfiring.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

May 2, 2016, 7:30 a.m.

Corvettes aren't OP.

They are designed to be annoying assassins types.
Who go in & out, shake it all about.

They're strong & extremely fun sure.

I'm not a great Corvette player but I'm okay, still learning.
Had 2 games yesterday as a Corvette one after the other.
Match 1, 1minute in I had killed both enemie Arties & got an assist on dreadnought.

Finished 9-2 or something.
There team were awful, completely ignored me & I made them pay for it.

Next team,
I finished 0-5.
I would unleash on arty, - SHIELD instantly - Heals instantly, destroyer bombards me instantly
3 of the 5 times, the dreadnought even tractor beamed me.

They all grouped together and worked as a team, I couldn't do jack.

The first team had a serious case of tunnel vision, focusing on whats in front of them.
I also have this problem when I play as something other than a corvette.
Fortunately I've learnt my lesson and keep an eye out for Corvettes, it works funny enough.
Can't count how many times I've killed a Corvette before he can kill a team mate because of how quick i reacted.

Corvettes should be able to shredd enemies.
Corvettes force you to be on your guard, there a pain to play against but there supposed to be.
Otherwise, Arty can just sit at back, without a worry in the world.

May 2, 2016, 8:06 a.m.

Stactix#7547 posted (#post-28417)

Corvettes aren't OP.

They are designed to be annoying assassins types.
Who go in & out, shake it all about.

They're strong & extremely fun sure.

I'm not a great Corvette player but I'm okay, still learning.
Had 2 games yesterday as a Corvette one after the other.
Match 1, 1minute in I had killed both enemie Arties & got an assist on dreadnought.

Finished 9-2 or something.
There team were awful, completely ignored me & I made them pay for it.

Next team,
I finished 0-5.
I would unleash on arty, - SHIELD instantly - Heals instantly, destroyer bombards me instantly
3 of the 5 times, the dreadnought even tractor beamed me.

They all grouped together and worked as a team, I couldn't do jack.

The first team had a serious case of tunnel vision, focusing on whats in front of them.
I also have this problem when I play as something other than a corvette.
Fortunately I've learnt my lesson and keep an eye out for Corvettes, it works funny enough.
Can't count how many times I've killed a Corvette before he can kill a team mate because of how quick i reacted.

Corvettes should be able to shredd enemies.
Corvettes force you to be on your guard, there a pain to play against but there supposed to be.
Otherwise, Arty can just sit at back, without a worry in the world.

Precisely!

The OP makes the case that Corvettes shouldn't have to need a direct counter, but if you think about it Corvettes are the direct counter to Artillery Cruisers, which could otherwise hang out on the other side of the map with impunity just wrecking the enemy.

Amidst the blue skies
A link from past to future
The sheltering wings of the protector

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.