FORUMS

Athos needs a buff

Posted: //
May 1, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

The Athos medium destroyer is my favorite ship when it comes to looks and i rly want to use it more, but its just simply not powerful enough to be classified as a medium destroyer. Its weapons are too short ranged to deal with enemies from longer ranges, it has too little armor to be a brawler with even a corvete and it's speed doesnt quite compensate for the low armor value. I do have a decent brawler build with it that can fight with most smaller ships, but only at closer ranges.
So heres what i would suggest:

Armor: 30'000 -> 35'000
Movement speed: +10%
Repeater damage falloff: moderate -> none
(i was thinking about increasing the damage of repeaters but thats questionable since it in close range is quite decent

Ik many will disagree with me on this, but i dont see any reason other then esthetics to take the Athos over the Gora
You could potentialy nerf the Gora since its quite powerful but i think its good where it is.
Tell me what u think in the comments, and if it actually is balanced IYO then tell me how to master it, bcs i rly like the ship.
-Radicator

May 1, 2016, 4:46 p.m.

The Athos guns go up to 7km+ so I see no range problem. Compared to the Gora it needs a different playstyle. The Gora can take a punch, the Athos has to disengage faster, but it is faster. The speed difference only shines when using Power to Engines. The advantage of the speed beeing the ability to chase enemies or quickly duck into cover. If you want to tank with it, you should use the Energy Generator and maybe even the Slow and Steady perk.

I use the ship as a flanker, you can get in and out of flanking position fast with Power to Engines and if no one attacks you, you can put alot of pressure on enemy ships, especially on Tacticals, or simply provide the support fire needed to take enemies down. You can take on bigger slower ships by staying out of their optimal and dodging some of their shots. Do not try to just take the shots, that will not work, the lower the health of ships and the faster they are the more you need to move and not stop when in a good position. My standard setup is Tempest Missiles, Disruptor Missile, Scrambler Pulse and Energy Generator/Stasis Ammo. Very utility heavy loadout, but most ships cannot run from you, you can disable their modules, suppress Artys with the Tempest Missiles and Corvettes attacking you get into deep trouble once their vision is gone, while the Energy Generator allows you to heavily use your energy or the Stasis Ammo to prevent enemies getting attacked from escaping your friends. So I just roam the back and side lanes of my fleet and make sure every enemy that dives into my fleet, won't leave it alive.

During the Closed Alpha the primary batteries of the Gora were shorter ranged and had a clip size of 20, maybe the Athos will get a change during beta too.

Recruit Engineer

May 1, 2016, 6:12 p.m.

The Nox is an Artillery Cruiser. It has 7km range and no falloff.

You're literally asking for the same damage profile as a sniper ship on your Destroyer.

IF - and it's a big if, I find the Athos pretty good at the moment - it needs a buff, I'd go with JUST one buff from the following: +10% speed, +ammo count or slightly faster primary weapon reload.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

May 1, 2016, 6:45 p.m.

I have literally out sniped an artiller cruiser with my Athos from across the map. If you don't have energy boost on your bar then put it on. The Athos is really fast so use that to your advantage.
power to engines + energy boost + power to shields + energy ram = priceless.

May 1, 2016, 8:13 p.m.

Everything in the OP I disagree with.. Athos is fine.

Want something tankier? go Gora.

Want something faster? go vulcan (yes they renamed it.. but w/e)

May 5, 2016, 7:44 p.m.

Updated //
May 5, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

Radicator#6744 posted (#post-27993)

The Athos medium destroyer is my favorite ship when it comes to looks and i rly want to use it more, but its just simply not powerful enough to be classified as a medium destroyer. Its weapons are too short ranged to deal with enemies from longer ranges, it has too little armor to be a brawler with even a corvete and it's speed doesnt quite compensate for the low armor value. I do have a decent brawler build with it that can fight with most smaller ships, but only at closer ranges.

Are you sure you aren't talking about the Talionis?
I'm sitting here trying to figure out what to write, but honestly all I can do is say "no it isn't" to the issues you raise.
The Athos can shoot a remarkable distance, almost to the point of sniping. With power to engines it can really move. Granted it can't take Dreadnought levels of punishment (unless you got Energy Generator). With proper use of Energy Generator you'll go faster, take more damage, and dish out more than anyone else on your team.
Frankly put, it's a beast. I simply got tired of winning all the time with it.
Am I to understand you can't even go 1v1 with a corvette at close range? I think that makes it clear you're not using it right. You should be hunting them for easy points. Perhaps it's play-style isn't for you.

I guess I should include some advice: 1) When fighting corvettes being aware of your surroundings is key, in addition to an eye on the mini-map. 2) If the Corvette gets close (about 900-1000m) hit him with your Flak Cannons. Secondary weapons are THE MOST UNDER-USED TOOL IN THE GAME. Flak wrecks corvettes. 3) Remember to SHIELD before he can get most of his burst damage off. If he hits you with Drain torpedos then spam energy Generator and shield again fast. 4) Pick up Scrambler Pulse. No destroyer should be without it.

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

May 5, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

I've found the Athos a capable ship for overrunning or outflanking enemy positions without needing to duck behind cover very often, or at all with team support, while doing so. It feels a good middle ground between the Heavy and Light destroyer.

July 4, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

I would like to see the Monarch's guns on it. Athos has alike turrets (well,only 2, not 4 guns). The firing effects and sounds of the Monarch would suit the Athos well.

July 5, 2016, 11:30 a.m.

The only changes I want to see on the athos are a change to its ammo count so that doesn't have to reload as often. Also like Kampfkraft said I would love to see the monarchs firing graphics and sounds moved over the athos. The pew pew lasers it has now are kind of underwhelming.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.