FORUMS

Smarter Nuke Launches

Posted: //
May 2, 2016, 8:02 a.m.

This is one of the things that this ability is balanced around, if you can't align yourself to get a good nuke out it won't hit, and is quite likely to kill you.

Positioning and aiming is important for many things, your experience should've hinted at just that.

Don't get mad - git gud.

May 3, 2016, 1:05 p.m.

So basically what you're saying is... teams should work to move in a counterclockwise manner so torpedoes don't immediately slam into the ground. Clockwise is out otherwise torpedos launch the wrong way.

May 3, 2016, 1:29 p.m.

g2wolf#5443 posted (#post-29483)

So basically what you're saying is... teams should work to move in a counterclockwise manner so torpedoes don't immediately slam into the ground. Clockwise is out otherwise torpedos launch the wrong way.

Torpedoes home for some time after they got launched, if I get targeted by a nuclear torpedo I do a quick descent hoping they hit an obstacle. They usually get thrown out to the side, then accelerate until max speed/travel a fixed distance and then home in.

Recruit Engineer

May 3, 2016, 4:42 p.m.

Updated //
May 3, 2016, 4:42 p.m.

Nah do something better armor amp / shield parry and ram the torp while it's in range of who ever who launched it and kill them with their own torp smile

Don't get mad - git gud.

May 3, 2016, 6:10 p.m.

DOGMA#8169 posted (#post-29743)

Nah do something better armor amp / shield parry and ram the torp while it's in range of who ever who launched it and kill them with their own torp smile

Yeah, preferably doing this with my Drain Pulse Gora.

Recruit Engineer

May 3, 2016, 6:35 p.m.

Brandiment#9177 posted (#post-28234)

Well gents it is a TORPEDO not a missile, so for a TORPEDO to fire up wouldn't really make sense because historically they were either fired from tubes or just rolled off the sides, not to mention it is a rather close ranged weapon so I believe they made it deploy like that so it could mainly be used as a "Hit and Run" device. I Find torps to be effective when used in conjunction with a jump drive or an ability reboot.

That's a silly position. Historically space ships don't float within a gravity well blah blah this isn't an exercise in realism.

This is one of the things that this ability is balanced around, if you can't align yourself to get a good nuke out it won't hit, and is quite likely to kill you.

Positioning and aiming is important for many things, your experience should've hinted at just that.

Ridiculous. Clearly there is a launcher on the opposite side. Aesthetically, functionally, and rationally smarter launches make sense.

There are plenty of cases where "Oh well, I won't launch because I'm not aimed" isn't acceptable. Coordinating fire against multiple targets, maneuvering around the right side of cover, and engaging ships that just warp in are a handful of cases where it is unacceptable to posit that the inability to rationally pop a nuke out the starboard launcher is an "aiming" problem of the user.

Sword, Shield and Funeral Pyre.

May 3, 2016, 7:05 p.m.

If you have free space it'll just take an extra second to reach it's target.
Unless you're going full speed ahead and not up, in which case you'll hit yourself.
But I've even managed that with Corvette Torpedoes, so....
It's annoying, yes, but you'll get used to it.
@Brandiment: Actually, modern Ships can launch them from deck. They obviously drop into the water afterwards, but one has to assume that's gravity's fault.
... My spellchecker actually has a plural for gravity, but doesn't recognize the work "spellchecker". smile

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

May 5, 2016, 12:56 a.m.

Got 20+ guns for the primary that the game selects the best 3-4 to shoot from but RIP if we want to shoot a nuke without blowing ourselves up....

UnLimiTeD#2482 posted (#post-29886)

If you have free space it'll just take an extra second to reach it's target.

Idk about you but my gora takes a whole of a lot longer than "an extra second" to turn around.... More like 30 seconds.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-29524)

g2wolf#5443 posted (#post-29483)

Torpedoes home for some time after they got launched, if I get targeted by a nuclear torpedo I do a quick descent hoping they hit an obstacle. They usually get thrown out to the side, then accelerate until max speed/travel a fixed distance and then home in.

They shoot out to the left AND DOWNWARD when they are first launched before homing, and it's not that uncommon for it to smack into the ground within 1km of launching it... I don't care what happens to it after that, but it's ridiculous to have it blow up in our face because the launcher happens to be on the worst side of the ship for the situation instead of using the one on the right instead. The launchers ALREADY VISIBLY EXIST ON BOTH SIDES OF THE SHIP and they're on THE TOP of the ship. Always firing from the left and firing downward at all just doesn't make sense.

May 5, 2016, 10:28 a.m.

The torpedoes drop off of the ship just like they use to on the later PT boats, but seriously YOU KNOW how this torpedo is going to deploy before you even fire it, its not some giant mystery of how and where it will launch, its seriously predictable. The question shouldn't be "why isn't it launching in another direction?", it should be why are players not taking this into consideration when they are on the ground or maneuvering. Most people call that planning your attack but I'm sure you just do fine by bumbling around space with no considerations on the limits of your weapon systems.

One unbreakable shield against the coming darkness, One last blade forged in defiance of fate, Let them be my legacy to the galaxy I conquered, And my final gift to the species I failed.

May 5, 2016, 7:56 p.m.

If there was only the ONE launcher tube on the left side, then it would make sense for the torpedo to launch only out of the left side.

There are TWO launchers though, one on the left AND ANOTHER ON THE RIGHT. Which does precisely nothing, for no discernible reason.

If they gave us the option of having a right-side or left-side launcher, that would be cool. If they had a fixed launcher on one side and nothing on the other, that would be understandable at least. Giving us launchers on both sides and completely ignoring one even when it would make more sense to use that one is stupid, annoying, and not a good design decision.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.