FORUMS

Balance issues I wanted to touch base on!

Posted: //
March 6, 2015, 10 p.m.

Hey heyy!
First time posting on here (SUPER excited to have seen this panel at pax east today).
Anyway, I spent a large amount of my time watching players play and commentators...err...commentate. And I noticed immediately an apparent balancing issue with some of the ships. While the 4 other classed ships seem very close, the Sniper specifically had an overwhelming advantage over other ships. More often than not the sniper would have no problem easily going 9-1, 6-2, 8-0 K/D. It was a pattern that I felt I needed the developers to notice and act upon. Did anyone else at PAX feel the same way? Thoughts on this? For a not very fast paced game (I love the fact that it's not super fast paced), a sniper role seems like it could easily get out of hand as it did today so what could the drawback be? Leaving a fingerprint on the radar when a shot is fired? I understand scouts should have an advantage on these guys but even the scouts didn't seem quick enough to get out of their line of fire...

smile

March 7, 2015, 10:33 a.m.

I loved this game at PAXEast! I was in on Friday, and I have to say, it was probably my most favorite game! my team lost on a one point match, but i think it was one of the best games in the area, i love the 3 dimensional play, it made for some awesome re-enactments of the end of Wrath of Kahn. I also loved the idea of adding momentum to the ships, so it punishes you for abusing the a and d keys when stationary. if i had a 2 or 3 day pass, i'd be at the booth almost the entire weekend.
I agree that the sniper class was maybe, just a little, ever so slightly (possibly perfectly) over powered, but i think as a artillery it makes sense that it would hit so much harder.
now, god help me for making my favorite class harder to play, but and the scout ships were too slow to be able to adequately move out of the snipers line of fire, and be able to attack the relatively vulnerable ship. the only times i got taken out were when the other sniper decided i was next on the hit parade, or the one time a heavy ship managed to get past my line of fire before i took them down, and even then that was one time that i started steering just a hair too late and didnt think to try reversing thrust. perhaps also lowering the range of the weapon might help to balance it out a little as well. I'd rather adjustments to the other ships speed than messing with the sniper itself, because as it is, its almost perfect.
I cant wait for the beta to come out!

March 7, 2015, 11:48 a.m.

I imagine balance will be addressed in the beta. that's what it is for after all. ;)

Wish I could be there, enjoy gents.

Patience wins the war.

“His heart was mailed with oak and triple brass who first committed a frail ship to the wild seas.”
Black Widows

March 7, 2015, 11:43 p.m.

@whitewidow. I'm sure it will be aswell but greybox should be monitoring these forums so it helps them get real-world feedback when we talk about it rather than just thinking it to ourselves.
This way they can also pick up on different ways to help re-balance the issue incase they needed to.

smile

March 8, 2015, 9:14 a.m.

Not sure about Balancing in regard of the "sniper" ship.
Yesterday I saw many games, on Twitch, where one team go full artillery, with good results.
But when someone decide to spawn in a Corvette, all those snipers were done for (or damaged badly).
So I would wait a little bit before talking about nerfing this or that class.

March 8, 2015, 11:05 a.m.

Dedadude#1215 posted (#post-339)

Not sure about Balancing in regard of the "sniper" ship.
Yesterday I saw many games, on Twitch, where one team go full artillery, with good results.
But when someone decide to spawn in a Corvette, all those snipers were done for (or damaged badly).
So I would wait a little bit before talking about nerfing this or that class.

I agree. Been watching the streams from PAX the past 2 days and kills look balanced. comes down to skill from what I can tell.

Patience wins the war.

“His heart was mailed with oak and triple brass who first committed a frail ship to the wild seas.”
Black Widows

March 8, 2015, 11:43 a.m.

So far, what I did not like is the health regen on the ships. Imho, it would be better if it heal lesser over time.

Also, the healer/support need an additional interface where the captain can all the health bars of his/her team

March 9, 2015, 10:22 a.m.

I didn't have an issue playing against snipers, but my team was pretty fluid. Me and one other play strictly played the Dreadnought and two other guys switched between destroyers and corvettes and would rush the enemy snipers that were peppering us.

The problem is, with most teams, people play the class they want to play regardless of what is actually needed for the fight. If you're getting owned by snipers, you need to be able to change the paradigm: Switch to the Corvette and get behind them, or put all power to thrusters as the Destroyer and rush them.

March 9, 2015, 1:54 p.m.

I think the overwhelming effectiveness of the artillery is subject to how aware and coordinated a team is. I found it quite easily to scan around me quickly, picking up on corvettes even when cloaked. They're no match defensively for well placed shots.

But that was only one game. Perhaps if they coordinated better, making more use of the jump abilities, this might not have been the case. I think a beta is the only way to get a large enough sample size of gameplay to determine balance.

If they were to nerf the artillery, I would not want them to reduce the strength of the cannon, but instead perhaps tweak the firing cone. I found it weird that a ship so clearly linear due to being a cannon with engines could fire 30 degrees off the nose. Forcing they player to control the orientation of the ship more precisely, or having a direct correlation between firing angle off boresight and shot damage (one could argue that the gun's coils would drain energy to steer the shot) could indirectly nerf the effectiveness of the sniper craft. The only other option may be to subtly tweak damage/range properties.

I find that most corrective measures on weapon strength in games tend to over react, rendering the adjusted element too ineffective. The best adjustment should leave some people crying foul.

Sword, Shield and Funeral Pyre.

March 9, 2015, 5:29 p.m.

Prometheus25#5985 posted (#post-450)

If they were to nerf the artillery, I would not want them to reduce the strength of the cannon, but instead perhaps tweak the firing cone. I found it weird that a ship so clearly linear due to being a cannon with engines could fire 30 degrees off the nose. Forcing they player to control the orientation of the ship more precisely, or having a direct correlation between firing angle off boresight and shot damage (one could argue that the gun's coils would drain energy to steer the shot) could indirectly nerf the effectiveness of the sniper craft. The only other option may be to subtly tweak damage/range properties.

Yeah, I notice that too. Good point.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.