FORUMS

Balance issues I wanted to touch base on!

Posted: //
March 9, 2015, 6:39 p.m.

While I agree the Artillery class was a bit heavy on the damage (as it should be), it could MAYBE use a small tweak damage wise given the mobility of the ships. ALTHOUGH, the descend worked well to avoid any targeting a Artillery might be doing. Unless they're really aiming to pick low hp ships off, you do have quite a bit of time and ability to avoid being targeted by a Artillery class, so I'm not sure it really needs a lot of tweaking in that aspect. Also, I found that sneaking up with a Dreadnought class, and then warping right on top of the Artillery, proved almost fatal for them every time. I used that tactic many times to destroy multiple Artillery ships and save my teammates.

"....Hohoholy cow, this isn't where I parked my car."

March 10, 2015, 10:43 a.m.

Thanks for all the input. I deff agree with most of the things said. I guess we will have to wait for the BETA to get all the answers :)

smile

March 10, 2015, 1:20 p.m.

First a little background:
I attended all 3 days of PAX East and played 2 games Saturday and 10 games Sunday only every playing the Artillery Cruiser (yes I spent all 8 hours of Sunday at the Grey Box booth to get in 10 games). My best game was 15 / 0 with most games averaging around the 12 / 2 mark. While waiting in line I taught a lot of people the ins and outs of the what I had learned so far.

Here are my thoughts on the Artillery Cruiser:
To those who are new to the game going up against an experienced Artillery Cruiser may seem futile, and it might be. Dreadnought, like any other multiplayer game, has a learning curve, those who are experienced with any sort of sniping class from other shooters will have the upper hand when it comes to the Artillery Cruiser. However, if you cannot accurately lead a target and hit your mark you will suffer immensely. On top of that the ship movement and physics in Dreadnought will be new to most people as there are not many Spaceship shooters on the market right now.

Do I think the Artillery Cruiser is "overpowered"?
In the 12 games I was able to get in at PAX I would have to say no. I spectated many games while waiting in line and watched many people suffer as the Artillery Cruiser and switch to another ship.

How to play:
As the Artillery Cruiser you have immense power from long range. The drawback is that you have to have insane accuracy while aiming at smaller ships from such a long distance and learn to lead your shots. This is all part of the learning curve of the ship. When you first start learning how to lead your targets try and go for the Destroyer ship as it is larger than the Corvette and Tactical Cruiser but has less health than the Dreadnought. If you are still having trouble hitting targets try moving closer to the center of the map. Once you've learned to lead a little better you can then start going after the smaller ships and staying back at longer ranges. It will be hard at first but as you train yourself you will start to dominate the map.

How to counter:
I was only able to be countered in a few games, but I was in fact countered. The easiest way to counter an Artillery Cruiser is to play the Corvette (Scout). Find the position on the map that the Artillery Cruiser is and look for who they are shooting at. Once you find that drop down as low as you can on the map and make your way around to the sides of the Artillery Cruiser, using your cloak if needed. Once close enough come up from below and BAM you have yourself one easy kill. The only way I was able to counter their sneak attacks was to have my friend keep tabs on where the Corvette was at all times and call out when he was coming my way so I could use the Energy Management Thrusters to run away and turn on him.

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

March 11, 2015, 3:44 p.m.

I was at the meet and greet on saturday night and there was an over abundance of artillery ships. one team actually won a round in the tourney by bringing 5. Part of the problem now is the fact we're still all novices and we don't have much experience piloting, using the map cover, and coordination with team mates the artillery craft simply punishes this the most.
I was watching the team captain of the meet and greet winner when they were playing the devs for bragging rights and he was playing with quite a bit of skill on an artillery craft by using its ability to re-position vertically to juke sniper shots and missile swarms so the devs used this to keep him and the other artillery distracted while they snuck a cruiser and corvette into the back field and cleaned up. These are things we simply haven't had time to work on.
I think in the early weeks of beta and right after release we will see this trend crop up but as cruiser/corvete play gets better and support/dred or support/cruiser tandems develop I think it will even out.

March 13, 2015, 9:47 a.m.

Prometheus25#5985 posted (#post-450)
If they were to nerf the artillery, I would not want them to reduce the strength of the cannon, but instead perhaps tweak the firing cone.

I remember that i read somewhere that the devs are already going to do that

March 15, 2015, 12:49 a.m.

I think we shouldn't be so fast to jump on the nerf train yet. As what some people have said, I think that the effectiveness of the sniper will go down once people know what to do against them.

Any ship can seem overpowered if they are just left there to wreak havoc. Some people just get tunnel vision, especially when they are in a new and unfamiliar game.

Once the game goes out in Beta and a larger sample can be pulled from, we can see where the ships are at.

I could see the crazy gun arc getting nerfed though.

Everyone feels fear. It's up to you if it cripples you, or pushes you forward.

March 16, 2015, 10:20 a.m.

Once more teams get to play the game I think we're going to see artillery cruisers being less effective. Or people will become like Chipinators and then we're all screwed.

March 16, 2015, 9:19 p.m.

Eh, artillery seemed fine. I got quite a few kills on them as the dreadnought just by warping in on them. Don't forget to boost shields! :)

May 25, 2015, 7:01 a.m.

The first thing is the devs already said they going to limit the fire arc a lot more that should fix a lot of the problem, second K/D Rate is not the best indicator for balance issuse becaus the sniper has a way bigger damage per shot wich makes it more likly to "secure" kills and it is not in the middle of the fight so its not likely to get many deaths. And remember it´s a 5 v 5 game i dont think that sniper can single-handedly win the match the need a frontline .

Ich möchte eine Deutsche Dreadnaought community starten schick mir ne PM und ich liefer zum Betastart ein TS.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.