FORUMS

Weapon ranges

Posted: //
March 7, 2015, 11:52 a.m.

Is there a range limit or damage degradation at some point? Or an indication that your weapons are in range?

Patience wins the war.

“His heart was mailed with oak and triple brass who first committed a frail ship to the wild seas.”
Black Widows

March 7, 2015, 2:04 p.m.

Or will it be different in low orbit or in space?

O anger, turn to heat, dry up my brains! This mad thirst for vengeance must be quenched...

March 8, 2015, 1:04 p.m.

Updated //
March 8, 2015, 1:07 p.m.

I'm not sure if this is planned or not, but ballistic weapons should have to worry about projectile drop and velocity loss, but should probably not have much damage reduction. Energy weapons, on the other hand, shouldn't have to worry about projectile drop and velocity loss, but should have to worry about energy loss. The farther the energy bolt goes, the more energy it sheds and the less damage it does until the point where it loses all it's energy and the bolt disappears.

Edit: in orbit ballistic weapons would not have to worry about projectile drop or velocity loss because there is nothing to slow the shell down. (Also, for balance reasons, energy weapons should have greatly increased range and projectile speed while in orbit.)

Play smart, you win. Play dumb, you loose. Teamwork is the best way to secure victory. Lack of teamwork is a certain defeat.

March 8, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

Updated //
March 8, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

Thasarion#5795 posted (#post-355)

I'm not sure if this is planned or not, but ballistic weapons should have to worry about projectile drop and velocity loss, but should probably not have much damage reduction. Energy weapons, on the other hand, shouldn't have to worry about projectile drop and velocity loss, but should have to worry about energy loss. The farther the energy bolt goes, the more energy it sheds and the less damage it does until the point where it loses all it's energy and the bolt disappears.

Edit: in orbit ballistic weapons would not have to worry about projectile drop or velocity loss because there is nothing to slow the shell down. (Also, for balance reasons, energy weapons should have greatly increased range and projectile speed while in orbit.)

This would depend on how the devs want the weapons to be modeled, whether they are designed for orbital usage (thus suffering in an atmosphere), or If they decide that the weight of the shell combined with the amount of energy that it required to reach a high velocity would mean that it wouldn't be greatly affected by drag and/or gravity.

Of course, in the end this is all down to what the devs would like to do with it, personally I feel that a minor affect on the munitions when in atmosphere would be a nice touch.

March 9, 2015, 9:53 a.m.

From what I played there definitely is a range limitation. I couldn't hit anything with the Ballistic Cannons on the Dreadnought at long range.

From what I gathered at the PAX East panel, there will be short, medium and long range weapons.

March 9, 2015, 8:13 p.m.

very good points, i agree that there should be damage degradation over certain distances for certain weapons/weapon-types

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

March 9, 2015, 9:26 p.m.

You can see in some of the gameplay videos that the main guns from the dreadnought simply explode and/or vanish when they reach some maximum range.

"Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
-Samuel Palmer

March 10, 2015, 9:51 a.m.

Updated //
March 10, 2015, 9:52 a.m.

-------> PAX East panel <------- Is there a video link for this?

Shock4ndAwe#5871 posted (#post-419)

From what I played there definitely is a range limitation. I couldn't hit anything with the Ballistic Cannons on the Dreadnought at long range.

From what I gathered at the PAX East panel, there will be short, medium and long range weapons.

Patience wins the war.

“His heart was mailed with oak and triple brass who first committed a frail ship to the wild seas.”
Black Widows

March 10, 2015, 8:42 p.m.

WhiteWidow#4074 posted (#post-508)

-------> PAX East panel <------- Is there a video link for this?

Shock4ndAwe#5871 posted (#post-419)

Currently I don't think there is but I did sit next to one of the Six Foot employees during the panel and they were recording it so maybe expect a video to be uploaded soon? I'm sure you'll know if they do.

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

March 12, 2015, 6 p.m.

I think a max range is best other wise there is nothing to stop a team flying up high and just sniping across the map in ships other than the Sniper.

If you got a problem use Dakka if you still got a problem you just did not use enough Dakka.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.