FORUMS

Fleet Carriers

Posted: //
March 9, 2015, 2:34 p.m.

Movements, shields and weapons
I agree that the carrier should have a consequent size and low mobility, but I'm not sure it sould have a Dreadnought level of shield protection. The carrier when caught off guard (and without any allies to defend them) should be easy target for the other ships, and so have less armor and shields than most of the other ships.

For weapons, I don't have much to said, maybe a little bit more firepower than the artillery secondaries (but not that much).

Fighters and devices
A.I. controlled fighters/devices seems the easiest way to implement them. However maybe you can add more interactivity than "point and forget", with orders and formations that can be given in flight.

Your second idea with map interaction is really too much, it fits more for a commander chosen by the players rather than a kind of ship class/abilities. It's not a carrier at this point it's the Capital ship ! Not to forget that you can have multiple Carrier ship, so how a same map device (like a turret for exemple) will issue orders ? If two players try to get control of it, it will be really frustrating. And if you have a really annoying person at the Carrier command I can't imagine the nightmare of the pings and orders spamming.

For the last one, it could be interesting, but if you launch swarms of fighters how will you determine which one you'll pilot ? How can you continue to use the carriers abilities and ordes and use the fighters abilities without constantly switching beetwen the two ?

Launched craft
Actually I see the fighters/bombers/devices placed as ability slots. So you can pick 4 types of "hangars". Sending squads or formations and loosing them will immediatly activate a full cooldown (which should be rather high, so you have to use them smartly) until you get a new crew. However I'm against the "you totally loose this ship until the battle end" thing.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your last point. Do you mean that each time you issue and order to a squad they just warp in and then warp out ? If yes, then it will be next to your Carrier, cause if they just warp directly at the opponent face, it will make them far too efficient.

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

March 9, 2015, 3:32 p.m.

I also saw the fighter launch controls as the ability slots. I also think that with carriers you should be able to press the launch button to recall the fighters or torpedo bombers. If the fighters are recalled early, it would have a short cooldown, while if the fighters are out there for a long time, it should have a longer cooldown to simulate repair, rearm, and refueling times.
I also think that the carriers, as I said before, should only have short range flak guns, or light ranged cannons. As a secondary weapon, you should be able to select targets for your fighters to attack.

Play smart, you win. Play dumb, you loose. Teamwork is the best way to secure victory. Lack of teamwork is a certain defeat.

March 13, 2015, 4:06 p.m.

I do hope that Carriers become a thing at some point! At the very least, I hope we get modules/upgrades/ect that allow us to send out a small unit for harassment, reconnaissance, and chasing down crippled enemies attempting to flee.

Plays wargames. Been to War. Much prefers the games...

March 14, 2015, 7:51 p.m.

Updated //
March 14, 2015, 7:52 p.m.

Prometheus25#5985 posted (#post-447)

You sir, are a genius, I would totally play carrier if it was designed the way you speak of. And fighter wing management could add a lot of fun to a standoff role.

The most interesting though would be if a player using carrier could act as "commander" of their fighters and lead them from within the fighter group. Thoughts?

"Here's how it's done!"
-Robin, Fire Emblem Awakening

March 15, 2015, 6:08 p.m.

Updated //
March 15, 2015, 6:10 p.m.

I agree with the Carrier idea and that of the AI controlled Game Mode. However I think it would need to be an Ability as discussed earlier and not a "Controlled" group of fighters. That would be far too complex for players who aren't used to swapping units like mad, and it would leave your Carrier vulnerable to attack since you are looking through the eyes of a fighter. This is about SHIP controls not Fighter controls. The Carrier would hang back, send out aggressive, defensive, and supportive units that can bolster your team's strategies.

I think there should be standard Fighters for close range ship to ship combat to defend the Carrier dealing damage much the same way as a DoT but this can be countered if the Fighters encounter other Fighters, Repair Drones for obvious support reasons, perhaps a long range Bomber squadron to put pressure on enemy ships from afar, and I think there should be a defensive Interceptor squadron to be launched as an Anti-Missile system.

I believe that the control of these ships can go one of three ways depending on your target.

-You can activate a Repair Drone to target yourself, or your Allies individually. This prevents Repairs from becoming too OP. They can only be sent out to one ship at a time to prevent massive healing.

-You can activate Fighters with yourself targeted as a Defensive Bubble of sorts so when an enemy ship draws within a certain range the Fighters engage and begin to deal Damage Over Time to the enemy ship. Alternately you can activate the Fighter ability while a nearby foe is targetted(Within a certain range) which sends out your unit to deal DoT damage to the target. Or for the final option you can cast this ability on a friendly unit to give them the same "Bubble of sorts" to them for the time period designated. This gives the Carrier a bit of Support Power to assist in combat instances.

-You can target distanced foes with the Bombers as the Carriers main long ranged attack. These units will deal a heavier DoT but also perhaps inflict a Status effect such as Slow or perhaps increase foes Cooldowns due to the Harassment. This is the main focus of a Carrier after all, to carry out Support to a Fleet.

-And finally I believe their should be a Defensive Interceptor Ability. This ability can target yourself or your Ally. These smaller squadrons have the ability to shoot down missiles. (With a % rating so it isn't an God Shield or anything) These ships can be sent out to follow an Ally who is going into Enemy Territory and grant them a "Bubble" of sorts. Or it can be used to protect the Carrier itself if someone is attempting to wipe it out with a Missile Barrage.

Finally I would like to point out that my Idea for each of these abilities should have a Time Limit for how long they can be out and about much like how a Spell in many MMO's does not last infinitesimally. These ships would have low fuel since they are not meant to travel far(Minus the Bombers) and would have a time elapse before they must return to ship. For example a Repair Drone only lasts 30 seconds healing for so and so amount of Hull Damage. The Cooldown is 2 minutes upon the end of the Drone's Effect ending. Likewise the DoT Damage would only last so long as would the Bombers. However I do believe the Bomber should have a slightly Longer DoT ability since this will be the Carrier's main source of Damage.

One final note. I believe that the Carriers should not have Dreadnought level shields and hull but should have a slightly less tiered level of Hull Strength and several tiers of shielding below Dreadnoughts. They are big, slow, and vulnerable to attacks. This is why they are classified as Support Vessels.

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

March 15, 2015, 9:50 p.m.

Your second idea with map interaction is really too much, it fits more for a commander chosen by the players rather than a kind of ship class/abilities. It's not a carrier at this point it's the Capital ship ! Not to forget that you can have multiple Carrier ship.

I see no way to have carriers function similarly to the other classes of ships as far as player selection and use go. That's just not how carriers are used in combat. They are outside the battle and reach into it with their launched craft. Having 3 out of 5 people on a team outside of the standard playing area would break the game flow. The ideas I presented were under the assumption that only one player could operate a carrier, most likely in a special game mode.

Sword, Shield and Funeral Pyre.

March 15, 2015, 11:04 p.m.

Tetsu-Amada#3909 posted (#post-923)

I agree with the Carrier idea and that of the AI controlled Game Mode. However I think it would need to be an Ability as discussed earlier and not a "Controlled" group of fighters. That would be far too complex for players who aren't used to swapping units like mad, and it would leave your Carrier vulnerable to attack since you are looking through the eyes of a fighter. This is about SHIP controls not Fighter controls. The Carrier would hang back, send out aggressive, defensive, and supportive units that can bolster your team's strategies.

I think there should be standard Fighters for close range ship to ship combat to defend the Carrier dealing damage much the same way as a DoT but this can be countered if the Fighters encounter other Fighters, Repair Drones for obvious support reasons, perhaps a long range Bomber squadron to put pressure on enemy ships from afar, and I think there should be a defensive Interceptor squadron to be launched as an Anti-Missile system.

I believe that the control of these ships can go one of three ways depending on your target.

-You can activate a Repair Drone to target yourself, or your Allies individually. This prevents Repairs from becoming too OP. They can only be sent out to one ship at a time to prevent massive healing.

-You can activate Fighters with yourself targeted as a Defensive Bubble of sorts so when an enemy ship draws within a certain range the Fighters engage and begin to deal Damage Over Time to the enemy ship. Alternately you can activate the Fighter ability while a nearby foe is targetted(Within a certain range) which sends out your unit to deal DoT damage to the target. Or for the final option you can cast this ability on a friendly unit to give them the same "Bubble of sorts" to them for the time period designated. This gives the Carrier a bit of Support Power to assist in combat instances.

-You can target distanced foes with the Bombers as the Carriers main long ranged attack. These units will deal a heavier DoT but also perhaps inflict a Status effect such as Slow or perhaps increase foes Cooldowns due to the Harassment. This is the main focus of a Carrier after all, to carry out Support to a Fleet.

-And finally I believe their should be a Defensive Interceptor Ability. This ability can target yourself or your Ally. These smaller squadrons have the ability to shoot down missiles. (With a % rating so it isn't an God Shield or anything) These ships can be sent out to follow an Ally who is going into Enemy Territory and grant them a "Bubble" of sorts. Or it can be used to protect the Carrier itself if someone is attempting to wipe it out with a Missile Barrage.

Finally I would like to point out that my Idea for each of these abilities should have a Time Limit for how long they can be out and about much like how a Spell in many MMO's does not last infinitesimally. These ships would have low fuel since they are not meant to travel far(Minus the Bombers) and would have a time elapse before they must return to ship. For example a Repair Drone only lasts 30 seconds healing for so and so amount of Hull Damage. The Cooldown is 2 minutes upon the end of the Drone's Effect ending. Likewise the DoT Damage would only last so long as would the Bombers. However I do believe the Bomber should have a slightly Longer DoT ability since this will be the Carrier's main source of Damage.

One final note. I believe that the Carriers should not have Dreadnought level shields and hull but should have a slightly less tiered level of Hull Strength and several tiers of shielding below Dreadnoughts. They are big, slow, and vulnerable to attacks. This is why they are classified as Support Vessels.

what he said!

"The First Of His Name"

March 16, 2015, 8:32 a.m.

I agree with almost everything, but the first thing I want to point out is that I NEVER SAID YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO PILOT FIGHTERS. I said that you would be able to select a target for them to harass and would be able to call them back at any time. Also, I agree that fighters would not be a super effective defense method and this in combination with carriers having weak armor and being slow, would discourage everyone from becoming a carrier for a single match because a group of discoordinated medium ships would probably be able to vaporize all the carriers quite fast. I'm revising by idea about how a carrier should handle in an attack, and agree they should have far lower armor and be very slow.

In my opinion, carriers should have a large energy reserve because they are huge targets and therefore need a lot of power that can be used to boost systems. Also with boosting shields, (this may already be implemented but I didn't notice while playing at PAX east) the shields should loose energy quickly while taking damage to stop them from being too OP.

With the fighters range, I highly agree that they should be very short range, but disagree with people saying that they should have a very long cooldown even after a very short flight. This would not be as realistic because if they were out for a long time, they would sustain higher damage, would use more fuel, and would use more ammo. This would take longer to repair, refuel, and rearm than it would if they were out for a short time where they would sustain less damage, use less fuel, and would use less ammo.

There are probably some things I missed, but I will get back to those in another post.

Play smart, you win. Play dumb, you loose. Teamwork is the best way to secure victory. Lack of teamwork is a certain defeat.

March 16, 2015, 12:55 p.m.

Updated //
March 16, 2015, 12:55 p.m.

Prometheus25#5985 posted (#post-927)

I see no way to have carriers function similarly to the other classes of ships as far as player selection and use go. That's just not how carriers are used in combat. They are outside the battle and reach into it with their launched craft. Having 3 out of 5 people on a team outside of the standard playing area would break the game flow. The ideas I presented were under the assumption that only one player could operate a carrier, most likely in a special game mode.

Ho I didn't get that you were talking about a specific game mode ship.

Personally I would prefer to see the carrier as a regular ship (more variety means more fun no ?). And yes I suppose people will not all get the same ship as it will not work very well, but you never know...

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

March 16, 2015, 5:05 p.m.

I agree and disagree Thasarion. I agree that they do not need a long cooldown except in the case of balancing issues. But I do not believe it should be relative to how long you send them out. Yes it is more realistic that way but a fighter only has so much fuel/ammo before it would need refitted. And for the most part the abilities I have seen such as in the video with AngryJoe, the abilities are "Pop and Drop" style, meaning you activate the ability, wait for the CD to end, and move along. There is no "Let me use half my missile silo" or "Let me jump only halfway so I save on Cooldown". It is a set limit and a set time. Which works or gaming. If they built it based on my structure you have the standard 4 abilities, and each one has a purpose and alternating CD giving them a base just as any other ship in the game. However I do need to mention that in my previous layout I did not distinguish what type of Primary or Secondary Weapon would fit. I do believe an Anti-Aircraft battery is self explanatory if Carriers are implemented to give them an obvious counter against other Carriers fighters. For Primary however I would assume a Torpedo system or Flak Cannon works since the primary focus of a Carrier is not close combat but Support with Launched units.

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.