FORUMS

Fleet Carriers

Posted: //
March 16, 2015, 6:19 p.m.

Much as I like the idea of Carriers as a ship type, I don't think there's a need. I like the ideas regarding viewing fighters as an ability option, as it gives a pilot the option of keeping a hybrid loadout. I imagine something along the lines of Drone Bays in EVE, if they took up an equipment slot rather than simply being a part of the ship.

How I see a possible setup is:

• You have a certain number of fighters per bay, with each bay replacing an ability slot.
  • You have your AI fighter component, which gives you a default COP around the ship.
  • These can then being dispatched against specific targets or assigned to act as COP around friendly ships.
  • If your fighters are damaged or partially destroyed, you can returned them the your ships fighter bay for repair/re-arm (which I imagine would operate similarly to the cooldown on abilities or weapon reloads).
  • However, if you lose a fighter wing completely (ie. you sent them to attack a Destroyer without support like the clever person you are), they that's it. Your fighter wing stays dead until your ships is destroyed and you respawn.

Fundamentally, this makes "Carriers" a potentially powerful, but vulnerable ship in a division. They have the ability to project persistent firepower over a wide area, but by doing so they sacrifice a lot of the core abilities that defines their ship class, and requires them to manage their fighter assets carefully to prevent them from ending up as a fighter-less and defence-less target.

Risk vs Reward. You have a massive amount of firepower that can be potentially split against multiple targets, but you require support to keep you protected and have to manage your fighter assets to maintain combat effectiveness.

Exactly like a real Carrier.

Exitus acta probat.

March 19, 2015, 2:07 p.m.

Watching people play against carriers in the World of Warships beta, everyone seems to loathe them, primarily because the torpedo attack is so effective on a two-dimensional surface. However, a bombing attack, which does less damage per hit, but more damage over time might be a good option, since effective anti-fighter weapons would make a difference here.

March 19, 2015, 3:07 p.m.

@Jaydubya You shouldn't really be talking about non Yager or Grey Box games in the forum but for the record I was in the Alpha and the beta players don't know what there talking about.

As much as I would love a full carrier I don't know how engaging it would be to play unless you had a commander style over view.

A carrier is just a platform to launch your fighters after that's done what do you do if you can't micromanage your squadrons?

I think meeting half way would offer a better playing experience, so hangers on a Dreadnought style ship so you can fire your guns and send fighters towards your target.

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

March 19, 2015, 4:02 p.m.

CosmicNite#9570 posted (#post-1181)

@Jaydubya You shouldn't really be talking about non Yager or Grey Box games in the forum but for the record I was in the Alpha and the beta players don't know what there talking about.

I think you can talk a little of the other games as long as you use them to give feedbacks, comparisons, or inputs about Dreadnought.
However you cannot deviate the thread to just talk about a non-greybox game (We seriously need an Off-topic section).

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

March 20, 2015, 12:09 a.m.

Updated //
March 20, 2015, 12:09 a.m.

A carrier is just a platform to launch your fighters after that's done what do you do if you can't micromanage your squadrons?
Acomparison is not such a big deal..
Well,by 3 controls maybe only?
1:attack targeted ship
2:Defence carrier(Like the fly around your ship and engage closest target maybe?
3:Return to ship
Even if you got squadrons,a carrier should have some kind of close range weapons,like in every other game,if u got a pet,its not like u are useless if someone get close too you,u are weak,but you got your fighters get you covered

"The First Of His Name"

March 20, 2015, 12:10 a.m.

Updated //
March 20, 2015, 12:12 a.m.

Odinous#5262 posted (#post-1211)

A comparison is not such a big deal..

Well,by 3 controls maybe only?
1:attack targeted ship
2:Defence carrier(Like they fly around your ship and engage closest target maybe?
3:Return to ship
Even if you got squadrons,a carrier should have some kind of close range weapons,like in every other game,if u got a pet,its not like u are useless if someone get close too you,u are weak,but you got your fighters get you covered

"The First Of His Name"

March 20, 2015, 2:01 a.m.

As carrier capability will probably be an ability, the ships like the dreadnought will certainly retain all their fire power and won't be weak at all if attacked by other ships.

March 20, 2015, 4:55 a.m.

Nyanko is pretty right.

The Dreadnought has a fighter ability that he can equip. This will launch a flock of fighter jets that even listen to your commands - in a limited way. For example: If you mark an enemy as a target for your team - your jets will pick this target as well. We even tinkered around with multiple kinds of jets - but I can't promise anything yet.

But this is not a full carrier as some people requested in this thread. The Dreadnought has still powerful weaponry and still other abilities that you could use. It's also very unlikely that you will obtain the absolute control about your fighters.

But I think we meet in the middle on that one?

Stefan "Stiefel" Damberg
Engineer, YAGER

March 20, 2015, 5:19 a.m.

Thanks for that Stiefel, it makes sense that a ship the size of the Dreadnought would have fighter capabilities for Antifighter defence.

Big guns don't hit small targets very well :-)

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

March 20, 2015, 11:40 a.m.

Thank you Stiefel for the answer.

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.