FORUMS

Fleet Carriers

Posted: //
March 22, 2015, 6:55 a.m.

There could be a carrier like what WOWS seems to use you can tell the fighters to go attack and the AI will do it or you can take control and aim the weapons but my fear is the game speed might be to fast for a carrier to work well.

If you got a problem use Dakka if you still got a problem you just did not use enough Dakka.

March 22, 2015, 7:58 a.m.

i don't think dreadnought ship should have the ability to launch fighters.It's already overpower
better make it as a different class

in Star Trek Online they have carrier ships and it's very fun
also not only launch fighters but repair ships too.Ofcurse you can equip only one each battle

Dreadnought Wikia

March 22, 2015, 9:30 a.m.

DEVASTRATOR#4326 posted (#post-1358)

i don't think dreadnought ship should have the ability to launch fighters.It's already overpower

also not only launch fighters but repair ships too.Ofcurse you can equip only one each battle

It' not like that Dreadnoughts will also have the ability to carry fighters. They will drop one ability (nuke attack, flak cannons etc etc) to have some fighters.

March 22, 2015, 9:44 p.m.

Updated //
March 22, 2015, 9:45 p.m.

Dedadude#1215 posted (#post-1360)

DEVASTRATOR#4326 posted (#post-1358)

It' not like that Dreadnoughts will also have the ability to carry fighters. They will drop one ability (nuke attack, flak cannons etc etc) to have some fighters.

As it is an ability, it means it will have a cooldown. What will happen when the ability is available again? If you use it on the same ship, does it mean there will be twice more fighters attacking her? Or the former ones will be replaced by the new ones? Will fighters go on attacking until they are destroyed or return to mother ship when the cooldown is over?

March 23, 2015, 2:50 a.m.

I would imagine you can only have a maximum number of fighters deployed at a time,

so using the cool down will top up your squadron replacing any lost fighters

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

March 23, 2015, 2:33 p.m.

Stiefel#2230 posted (#post-1224)

Nyanko is pretty right.

The Dreadnought has a fighter ability that he can equip. This will launch a flock of fighter jets that even listen to your commands - in a limited way. For example: If you mark an enemy as a target for your team - your jets will pick this target as well. We even tinkered around with multiple kinds of jets - but I can't promise anything yet.

But this is not a full carrier as some people requested in this thread. The Dreadnought has still powerful weaponry and still other abilities that you could use. It's also very unlikely that you will obtain the absolute control about your fighters.

But I think we meet in the middle on that one?

Thanks for your answer :D

"The First Of His Name"

March 31, 2015, 6:44 a.m.

I still think they should drop that skill from Dreadnoughts and place it in it's own Class. As I stated earlier it could be based off a DoT/Regen-like ability system. Sending Fighters at a target would deal light damage but over a period of time just as in fantasy games you have spells such as Immolation which cause a burn that burns for so and so time period with a cooldown. Whilst you have that light damage for offense you could also carry on as I stated before with repair fighter drones which preform some HoT's(Heal Over Time). This would also run on a regulated CD. Take out the thoughts of Withdrawing fighters and picture them as units that take flight, fire off their ammo stores, and are forced to return for restock and repair. There is no need to withdraw a unit early. Instead focus on adding in, as a third ability, an anti-aircraft weapon as a carrier would have.(A unit that specializes in a certain tactic normally is made to counter the same). And for the fourth and final ability you should incorporate a Bomber Squadron that deals heavier AOE but has a much longer Cooldown. For a more in-depth look at my version refer to my previous post. I spent like half an hour working out balancing issues and explaining the skills while following the current Ship formatting. Each Ship has 4 abilities, etc...

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

April 1, 2015, 6:13 a.m.

Updated //
April 1, 2015, 6:14 a.m.

I do find the idea of a carrier being able to control certain map elements way intriguing.

Through this topic some of you pointed out that it would be an excessive feature.

A single carrier being able to control all of the key points of one map would be too much (commander style), like having multiple ones controlling a point each could get frustrating.

Thus I thought of a possible solution to make this idea work fairly.

On every map there could be a set number of key points, each sporting different features such as:
- repair stations
- refueling stations
- long range-stationary weaponry
- so on with possibilities.

Now, with every new match(on the same map) these key points may come randomnly equipped to prevent players from developing a routine of the sort * Oh, ok, we get weaponry here, and repairs there... so I gotta go there first and here then *.

This way, every time the team would have to develop a tactic and operate choices based on the distribution of ground resources.

Sure, this could advantage a team if a particularly effective point would spawn close to their base. Thus I'd keep them far off into positions that could be equally reached by both parts.

last, but not least... how to control them?

We already excluded two ways at the beginning. I will expose you mine.

I do think a carrier shall be in the proximity, or stationary above a key point to capture(this implying a capture time) and control it. Upon it being destructed the point deactivates, falling neutral for a new carrier to come and retake it.

Plus a team shall be able to control a limited number of points never matching the totality of those present in a map, leaving the enemy a chance to take advantage of those left.

Do you think this would be reasonable? Let me know! :D

April 1, 2015, 6:47 a.m.

Updated //
April 1, 2015, 6:49 a.m.

It has some merit as an area control mode,

You just need to be careful when forcing teams to take a certain ship type to be effective in a match.

As much as I love pure carriers in other games, I don't really think they have a place in this one when you have capital ships like Galactica that can do both very well.

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

May 23, 2015, 4:48 a.m.

Here is an idea...

If anyone has played home world 2 you will remember the mothership could reproduce ships up to a destroyer. (I'm sure you have mentioned mobile spawn point so that's not my point)

You could have an ability where the carrier IS the fleet or support craft. Not only do you launch attack craft, but your ultimate, if you will, could break the ships into 4 or five cruiser type ships that could attack on multiple fronts. (the 3 or 4 ships the player is not controling would be ai driven, and the player could switch controls back and forth between all of them by changing the view.

This ship I'm sure has been mentioned as a command ship for stratification rolls, but wouldn't it be awesome to have the only ship with a bridge view.

And let's not forget a boring party. Special forces would board the ship and depending on the level would determine how much crippling dmg would be inflicted.

War in Silence

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.