FORUMS

Fleet Carriers

Posted: //
April 27, 2016, 5:41 p.m.

I'd just like to add my voice to the people wanting a carrier class of ship (or modifications of previous ships to make them more carrier like).

April 27, 2016, 6:44 p.m.

Carries should be a game mode. like a slow moving base defense. first to bring down the enemies carrier wins. in the mean time carries launch fighters in waves

“In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him, the way they love themselves. And then, in that very moment when I love them.... I destroy them.”

April 28, 2016, 2:05 p.m.

Carrier would be fun if it comes either way, but especially if players are allowed to use them. I'd hope for something similar like World of Warship did with the carriers it has. It turns the game into an RTS for you where you command every squadron as a single unit. Something like this would make for some interesting plays, but there is the problem of countering the fighters and bombers. They'd need to implement automatic AA cannons that only fire if fighters and the like come close.

April 29, 2016, 8:20 p.m.

A lot of times in science fiction, from what I've seen, carriers carry BB level firepower in addition to their fighters and bombers. Of course they carry less weapons than the BB's, but they have some very powerful weapons. It might not be good for balance but it'd be very awesome.

April 30, 2016, 10:51 p.m.

Yea seems like you'd have the carrier "pilot" spend time manually controlling the fighters which would actually be quite useful. For example routing around the edge of the map to make sure the enemy doesn't just decimate your planes before they get to the carriers. You could also do just as the world of warships etc does and allow you to basically improve your aircrafts aim. I think you allow yourself to actually manually control your fighters in a simple little dogfight simulation soy ou can shoot down enemy bombers/fighters with greater accuracy than normally seen and for bombers or torpedo bombers you can actually manually time the launch time of the torps from the flight as they do in world of warships. if you can select a group of fighters and draw a path and then press spacebar to launch torps then you could launch at the last minute to be better assured of a hit with less dodged,shot down.

Bombs is easy, you have a top down view and you basically pick a point to dive and then they'll fly high and dive straight down on that line and you press when to release and basically it relies on your ability to anticipate the enemy movements and predict to make sure your bombers dive just ahead of there movements and end up dead center over the ship, your really just aiming in 2d because the bombs are falling straight down through the third dimension. for torps it's a little harder to make aiming easy because not all ships are on the same plane. for bomb purposes your height doesn't matter because they hit you at all heights as it were as long as they are above you but for torps you can't. probably the easiest is to have you actually control the flight leader and just fly in and everyone stays as well as possible fixed in a position beside you and you are basically guiding your ship but all of them and your fire fires everyones torps. You can also make it work in the minimap though with some decent AI

April 30, 2016, 10:52 p.m.

Perma stealthed ships aren't in yet which suprises me. Anyone think the "submarine" version of a ship AKA perma cloak that only decloaks by firing will make an appearance?

May 1, 2016, 2:14 p.m.

genetixsparkz#5847 posted (#post-27332)

Perma stealthed ships aren't in yet which suprises me. Anyone think the "submarine" version of a ship AKA perma cloak that only decloaks by firing will make an appearance?

The game speed is way to high for a perma cloak beeing useful. On the other hand a automatically recloaking ship needs to get balanced somehow and since you have to manually shoot and you cannot activate modules on cloaked ships this would lead to not much dps on the cloaking ship, that would then make them pretty useless. Reconnaissance is not needed because of the rather small ranges you fight.

Recruit Engineer

May 5, 2016, 4:01 p.m.

Just want to tip people off to the fact we have a Player Voice section of the forums now so we can put forward to the dev team changes we want. I took the liberty to put up a topic about carriers (or at least fighter module improvements). Go ahead and voice your support and opinions there.

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/4790/

Feb. 10, 2017, 2:59 p.m.

They could easily take notes from World of Warship's carriers. While it's true that controlling both your carrier and the strikecraft on a 3D plane would be more difficult, but who really wants a carrier where the camera is only ever on your ship rather than being able to follow your strikecraft for more precise strikes.

Manually controlled strikecraft would almost certainly be mandatory since the carrier itself would have few if any weapons outside of self-defense.

Feb. 10, 2017, 11:22 p.m.

I suggest giving dreadnoughts options to carry more jets. I reckon you can easily insert additional options for dreadnought-launched jets. Secondary, parameter, internal modules as well as officer briefings can be jet strengthening.

For example, secondary modules should offer another another wing of jets, which also visually add another set of runways or launch bays. For additional style points, parameter modules may also have an option to add a close-ranged fighter wing. Maybe one that is capable of taking down some missiles and enemy ships, although being weaker at doing both.

There should also be parameter and internal modules that temporarily buff jets.

An officer briefing should let dreadnoughts weaken their own shields and shield fighters against damage, namely AOE weapons that can wipe out entire wings too easily.

These modules should have heavy visual emphases, making it easy to identify between a gun-dreadnought and a carrier-dreadnought.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.