FORUMS

Ship Idea

Posted: //
March 9, 2015, 7:01 p.m.

Updated //
March 9, 2015, 7:03 p.m.

I love how the game is coming along. So far, the class choices are great. One thing I noticed was that there is only a Healer type support class. So, I was thinking, what about another style of support but in terms of team damage? I think it would be great to have a quick, light armored ship that would be able to attach itself to another teammates ship which would amplify the damage output of that ship, but leave your ship completely vulnerable (such as taking 2 or 1.5 times damage) and unable to benefit from Energy Management. However, that EM option would in turn benefit THEIR ship, increasing whichever you choose (Weapons, Speed, or Shields). This would create a good coordination element between you and your teammate, and the attachment process could be something where you and your teammate are at the mercy of enemy ships for a short duration so that the enemy could swing a sort of counter-attack to try and destroy you before the attachment process completed, making it a risky move in the middle of a battlefield and requiring some organizing to do safely.

Just a thought :)

"....Hohoholy cow, this isn't where I parked my car."

March 9, 2015, 7:09 p.m.

Not sure about a damage amplifier ship, as you already can increase the damge of all ship with the energy, and some ships even have damage amplifier abilities. Combined with your idea it will create combos that are way too powerfull (Artillery will be way too good with this, and Tactical will just shred everything into pieces with two damage amplifier).

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

March 10, 2015, 4:51 p.m.

What about a ship that is similar to the engineer but a little more offensive? Instead of healing it has abilities that disable other ships. Like it could be really fast and have good armor, but not very stong weapons. Maybe it would drop proximity mines behind itself or deploy turrets that would fire witin a certain range. Its main weapon would not do damage, but it would somehow disrupt other ships. Like it would disable their abilities for 30 seconds. This ships purpose is to just fly around and annoy the other teams into shooting it. Kind of like a tanking/support class. But instead of being slow like the dreadnought it would be quick. So, since it isn't doing high output of damage people woudln't want to focus it, but it would annoy them so they'd want to deal with it. I dunno, you guys run w/ it from here. Haha.

March 10, 2015, 9:04 p.m.

Updated //
March 10, 2015, 9:29 p.m.

Ok so the game have already : one heavy ship, one fast and light ship, one support ship , one heavy damage dealer ship , and one all the things ship( The destroyer). My idea is a ship that should have small damage rate , low life and a normal speed , but should be able to deploy auto machines. A ship that could place turrets , mines , and as the main skill drop auto fighters , a lot of then . That would give an extreme badass feel to the battles and would give a more defensive kind of play to ships like the corvette . Imagine one corvette defending one heavy ship against lets say 30 small fighters. It would be awesome. That would turn things like the flak cannons a lot useful and would give a nice way to get the attention of the enemies , openning a window for awesome strategies .I know you guys should not be thinking about others ships right now but at least should be something to think about. Thanks for the atention.

March 11, 2015, 9:50 p.m.

Updated //
March 12, 2015, 6:14 p.m.

How about a ship with high maneuverability and extremely powerful shields, but a weak hull. In this case the ship could use its energy to fly into the line of fire, using its shields to protect more vulnerable or less mobile ships. One of its abilities could be to expand its shields beyond its own hull to form a kind of shield wall, allowing for further blocking capacity. But once energy to power the shield is exhausted the ship could be destroyed quickly.

March 12, 2015, 12:50 p.m.

Updated //
March 12, 2015, 12:51 p.m.

Jaeger and Warchild I like the idea of your Engineer type ship. Mines could be useful, but I feel a majority of the battle would make it tough to deem mines effective, unless the ship had crazy speed and you could cross the bow of the ship and place it. However, what I did think of was Sanctum 2. If you haven't played Sanctum 2, it's a tower defense game but one particular tower creates air drones that shoot at incoming enemies. What would be cool, is an engineer or carrier style ship that could release these mini drones to attack nearby or targeted enemy ships for "x" amount of time. I think that would be a pretty fun (and annoying) feature, especially if it had the warp capability like the Dreadnought class. I just picture a Carrier class warping into the middle of a team battle, releasing it's drones, and chaos ensuing.

What would also be great for an Engineer class would be a tractor beam (like from Star Trek). This ship could have a cloaking ability with decent speed, so it could sneak in behind it's enemies and then engage it's tractor beam to hold that ship in place, denying it's ability to descend. This would allow great team coordinated moves in which they could prep their Artillery Classes to engage said target once it's tractor beamed.

"....Hohoholy cow, this isn't where I parked my car."

March 12, 2015, 6:06 p.m.

The Engineer seems good on paper but i do wounder if mines would be of any real use seems as if there is no real point to get up close to the enemy other than to many be use them as a shield form the rest of there own team.

Turrets and maybe Drones seem good and a Disable of some kind be it weapons shield or skills along with some kind of power drain.

If you got a problem use Dakka if you still got a problem you just did not use enough Dakka.

March 12, 2015, 6:09 p.m.

I see mines being good in placing them down around where you first spawn, then when the spawns flip once teams move out into the map they would have to dodge them. Also if you wanted to block off certain areas of the map they could be useful too. Good idea just need more brainstorming to figure what exactly they would be best for.

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

March 12, 2015, 6:38 p.m.

That's more or less what I have in mind for the carrier type class, as you can see in this post I made :

Darkloser#6427 posted (#post-378)

Aside from the customization, I would like to see more class in game, to give more tactical oppotunities.
One class I was thinking of is "The Carrier" :
This ship as somewhat average stats, and have little direct combat capability. It mainly relies on it's ability to deploy different devices, drones or little spaceships to help on the field. Like turrets and mines.
Darkloser#6427 posted (#post-438)

I don't think it would be that much difficult to develop on the AI side, you don't have to necessarly give complex order. It can just be something like "static", "following", "to target" (also depending of the device, mines and turrets are of course static).

I'll would like to get a ship which is more about supporting/tactical decisions on the field.
Darkloser#6427 posted (#post-441)

Thasarion#5795 posted (#post-439)

Interesting, although carriers would carry far, far more fighters, but almost no weapons. This means that if players operated carriers, they would need other people to defend them against enemy cruisers, and should never run out into a fight alone. Also, if players could operate carriers, they should probably have a much larger energy reserve so they could supercharge their engines or activate their shields for much longer than other ships, although the carriers would have to shut those systems down for fighters to launch or land.

This is my next idea, fighter control. Instead of carriers launching fighters and having them active for a preset time no matter what happens, players could press 1 to launch fighters, and then press 1 again to call them back. Once the fighters land, there would be a cooldown period where they get repaired and rearmed. Fighters could also automatically return if they run low on fuel, ammo, or their numbers get too thin. Same for torpedo bombers.

Maybe with an adaptative cooldown then ? The longer the fighters stay out, the higher will be the cooldown ?
Darkloser#6427 posted (#post-455)

Movements, shields and weapons
I agree that the carrier should have a consequent size and low mobility, but I'm not sure it sould have a Dreadnought level of shield protection. The carrier when caught off guard (and without any allies to defend them) should be easy target for the other ships, and so have less armor and shields than most of the other ships.

For weapons, I don't have much to said, maybe a little bit more firepower than the artillery secondaries (but not that much).

Fighters and devices
A.I. controlled fighters/devices seems the easiest way to implement them. However maybe you can add more interactivity than "point and forget", with orders and formations that can be given in flight.

Your second idea with map interaction is really too much, it fits more for a commander chosen by the players rather than a kind of ship class/abilities. It's not a carrier at this point it's the Capital ship ! Not to forget that you can have multiple Carrier ship, so how a same map device (like a turret for exemple) will issue orders ? If two players try to get control of it, it will be really frustrating. And if you have a really annoying person at the Carrier command I can't imagine the nightmare of the pings and orders spamming.

For the last one, it could be interesting, but if you launch swarms of fighters how will you determine which one you'll pilot ? How can you continue to use the carriers abilities and ordes and use the fighters abilities without constantly switching beetwen the two ?

Launched craft
Actually I see the fighters/bombers/devices placed as ability slots. So you can pick 4 types of "hangars". Sending squads or formations and loosing them will immediatly activate a full cooldown (which should be rather high, so you have to use them smartly) until you get a new crew. However I'm against the "you totally loose this ship until the battle end" thing.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your last point. Do you mean that each time you issue and order to a squad they just warp in and then warp out ? If yes, then it will be next to your Carrier, cause if they just warp directly at the opponent face, it will make them far too efficient.

Take what seems interesting in that.
(the discussion where on the Fleet carriers thread and the Ship class Thread).

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

March 14, 2015, 1:04 a.m.

I like the idea of another type of support ship, but why not just make it simpler: a different form of the heal beam which can be swapped out on the current ship. Allow this beam to charge the shields and refill the energy bar of the targeted ship instead of healing the hull. When aimed at an enemy, it deals damage just like the heal beam does.

A special ability to make an ally invulnerable for 2-5 seconds would also be pretty cool, as would an ability that takes 10 seconds off of all cooldowns. Or something that freezes the cooldowns of all enemy abilities on a single ship by 10 seconds.

"Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
-Samuel Palmer

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.