FORUMS

Playing Dreadnought and what i noticed

Posted: //
Jan. 17, 2017, 9:08 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 17, 2017, 9:10 a.m.

I thought I would write up a few things I noticed while playing this game, some of which kinda ruin the overall concept the game is being promoted as.

• I love the video of the monarch warping in and smashing the little fighter jets! well done!

But eh, in the game, as soon as you poke your head out of the cover you are toast in under a few seconds. and this plays into the whack a mole game, where the whole team huddles together and pops up to shoot a few times, and then dives back down to heal.

that makes you think, ok lets flank them right? WRONG a corvette will find your huge dread and chew it up in under 3 seconds, yay, never knew mosquitoes were so potent these days. Must be a sci fi thing.

so basically, you have a game with huge ships, and they feel like your playing cardboard cutouts.

• the pre progression version was more or less balanced, and it came down to skill mostly, the new tier system is far from it.
    The thing is though.. once you get close, no matter your skill, its a simple DPS and how much damage you can take. no skill there, its just point and click, shoot till it drops. and ofcourse, a lower tier has less of both, and will lose, 100% of the time.

Oh yes did I mention trying to damage a T4 ship while its being healed by a koshei while in a T2. Its a joke.

So consider how useless the player will feel, and then all the losing the match stuff, such as paying money instead of earning and all that. Its a serious issue, and players will rage quit and perhaps not come back.

• As far as matchmaking goes, IF you put a recruit fleet player together with veteran fleet players, atleast let them switch to their veteran fleet (if they have one) its ridiculous.

• As far as the tech tree goes, i do see potential there, perhaps mix up the modules even more, why are some modules restricted to ship class? seems like you can get more diversity if you let a ship pick modules from across all the unlocked tiers? just like you do with officer briefings, i cant image a ship in the future that is being utilized for brutal combat, being unable to install a different module cause idk, reasons. hahaha
    Real ships (the ocean going variety) get upgrades all the time if needed, it would be more inline with how a ship functions.

• One important thing i find is missing is a clear indication on the HUD when someone flags an enemy ship and your camera is not facing it, it should be a clear warning indicator pointing in the right direction that can be noticed in the heat of battle, because its obviously important, and it means you can react in time.

Thats all i can think of right now, thanks for reading!
Cheers

Jan. 17, 2017, 9:21 a.m.

wiredexperiment#4868 posted (#post-94846)

I thought I would write up a few things I noticed while playing this game, some of which kinda ruin the overall concept the game is being promoted as.

• I love the video of the monarch warping in and smashing the little fighter jets! well done!

But eh, in the game, as soon as you poke your head out of the cover you are toast in under a few seconds. and this plays into the whack a mole game, where the whole team huddles together and pops up to shoot a few times, and then dives back down to heal.

that makes you think, ok lets flank them right? WRONG a corvette will find your huge dread and chew it up in under 3 seconds, yay, never knew mosquitoes were so potent these days. Must be a sci fi thing.

so basically, you have a game with huge ships, and they feel like your playing cardboard cutouts.

• the pre progression version was more or less balanced, and it came down to skill mostly, the new tier system is far from it.
    The thing is though.. once you get close, no matter your skill, its a simple DPS and how much damage you can take. no skill there, its just point and click, shoot till it drops. and ofcourse, a lower tier has less of both, and will lose, 100% of the time.

Oh yes did I mention trying to damage a T4 ship while its being healed by a koshei while in a T2. Its a joke.

So consider how useless the player will feel, and then all the losing the match stuff, such as paying money instead of earning and all that. Its a serious issue, and players will rage quit and perhaps not come back.

• As far as matchmaking goes, IF you put a recruit fleet player together with veteran fleet players, atleast let them switch to their veteran fleet (if they have one) its ridiculous.

• As far as the tech tree goes, i do see potential there, perhaps mix up the modules even more, why are some modules restricted to ship class? seems like you can get more diversity if you let a ship pick modules from across all the unlocked tiers? just like you do with officer briefings, i cant image a ship in the future that is being utilized for brutal combat, being unable to install a different module cause idk, reasons. hahaha
    Real ships (the ocean going variety) get upgrades all the time if needed, it would be more inline with how a ship functions.

• One important thing i find is missing is a clear indication on the HUD when someone flags an enemy ship and your camera is not facing it, it should be a clear warning indicator pointing in the right direction that can be noticed in the heat of battle, because its obviously important, and it means you can react in time.

Thats all i can think of right now, thanks for reading!
Cheers

Excellent points one an all. Many have commented on the current "mixed tier combat" philosophy they've put forward so far. I've heard them state they intended an wanted it. However, as we've all noticed, it's falling more then a little flat given that they've given most ships of higher tiers ever increasing boosts. (this is not true for all ships; some higher tier ships are actually playing incredibly short of their fellow tier ships) That said, I'm hoping they either decide they wanted stepped tier progression with ever increasing damage/health and then split MM fairly (ie T1/2 then 3 - 5)... or keep their mixed tier concept and bring balance in line with it thus giving t2's an actual fighting chance vs t4 and such (perhaps by normalizing damage/health to some degree and allowing options available to a ship be their defining points). It's a hard call either way, but what's current is a sore subject for many.

That HUD suggestion, is spot on. Without in game voice coms every little bit they can do to streamline and improve communication is a real plus, irregardless of those that can an do use 3rd party comms. (point being anything that lets random team members work together is a good thing)

Jan. 17, 2017, 9:47 a.m.

need to rename the game, dreadnought fall apart to easy, a corvette kills mine in 1 pass, there rebalace blows chunks

Jan. 17, 2017, 9:48 a.m.

Yeah a lot has been said about tiers already so i didn't want to repeat stuff. just point out that it feels absolutely pointless to play against a higher tier. let alone 2 higher.

The HUD would be essential, because no matter if you have voice, an indicator is quicker and more direct then trying to explain where they are coming from on voice, also, the Hold F and then select how you want to tag a target sucks, just make it one click, it takes too long when your trying to stasis beam hem or whatever...

Jan. 17, 2017, 10:25 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 17, 2017, 10:26 a.m.

If the the dreadnoughts reflected real life doctrine then they would have the artillery cruiser gun batteries, flack guns with radar fused or distance calculated munitions(no range limitations), would have a higher top speed and armor good enough so that only other dreadnought artillery cruiser would be doing full damage to them all other ships would only be doing damage if they had heavy missiles or torpedo's but its an arcade game so it is what the devs make it.

If dreadnoughts are going to be these slow ships that have to increase power to engines to get any where then they should do the most damage with there guns and there armor and hp should be reflected with the speed they sacrifice. this would be fair because every other ship can run away from them.

I WILL NEVER FORGET ABOUT MAINTENACE

Jan. 17, 2017, 10:37 a.m.

Speed does seem more efficient then armor in this game, simply because a bullet can be dodged and it doesnt matter if you fired it in the first place. dreads just fail at shooting fast enough with their mains to hit fast targets sufficiently, and then they are sitting ducks on top of that for the return fire... something is off, yes i agree.

Jan. 17, 2017, 10:45 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 17, 2017, 10:46 a.m.

Losing a dreadnought to one pass (clip) of a corvette is more than a bit of an exageration...
And the guys in the intro are fighters, and this ones DO crash on a slight traverse wind or when glancing on your windshield. You can play them in one the game modes.
With the right builds they already have the crazy resilience you're speaking of, especially the Jutland. Their main weapons do clearly suck a bit though.

A lot of your arguments there people are valid when one on one, but that's actually a TEAM GAME.
And because it's a GAME there is no fun in having dreadnoughts bad at nothing (and running away in a encased map has limited interest in the end).
And if you want to make historcal-like dreadnoughts, they'll have to be ridiculously weak against cruise missiles and aircrafts too.

THAT said, i(t)'d be okay with them being like that with the proposed addition of a carrier/droner class (and thus having the dreads being weak against two classes).

I concur also that flaks are heavily underpowered as flaks in the game as is (they are very good main weapons for attacking other capitals though, and better than the main weapons on the Jutland line - NOT SPEAKING of the artillery light flak).

Jan. 17, 2017, 11:13 a.m.

let me clarify something that is ripped out of context. I used to work on big ships, they have engine rooms and various equipment on deck. my point was about ""modules"" being swapped. and thus making them more suited for the job at hand, its a natural thing for a ship.

that was my only comparison to RL ships

Losing a dreadnought to a corvette is not an exaggeration as many can contest, especially if they are a higher tier then you. and/or you are busy battling something else.

what right builds are you talking about? compared to the pre shipyard, we have next to no customization options anymore

ok mr TEAM GAME, 2 tier 2 ships versus a tier 4 with a koshei healer, have fun, you can shoot at it all day.

Jan. 17, 2017, 11:40 a.m.

in a dread dying to a single corvettes 1 pass, ie 1 mag and full unload of modules, would only kill the dread if the corvette is 2 tiers above (perhaps unless it have power directed to weapons in which case it should be easy to hit and 1 tier above thus making it not need that many successfull hits).

Btw in a dread if you can swing your ship around, within those 1 km that they are usually at, and have plasma broadside, watch the vetter being pulverized xD

Jan. 17, 2017, 1:58 p.m.

wiredexperiment#4868 posted (#post-94909)

let me clarify something that is ripped out of context. I used to work on big ships, they have engine rooms and various equipment on deck. my point was about ""modules"" being swapped. and thus making them more suited for the job at hand, its a natural thing for a ship.

that was my only comparison to RL ships

Losing a dreadnought to a corvette is not an exaggeration as many can contest, especially if they are a higher tier then you. and/or you are busy battling something else.

what right builds are you talking about? compared to the pre shipyard, we have next to no customization options anymore

ok mr TEAM GAME, 2 tier 2 ships versus a tier 4 with a koshei healer, have fun, you can shoot at it all day.

I've no idea what "ripped out of context"you're speaking about.

Yes it is an exaggeration, and busy battling someone else is the definition of being damaged by something else in addition to the corvette, talk about ripping out of context.

Tell me, what customization has been taken away from the game, exactly ?

And if you take uneven tiers to begin with you're not being fair in your analysis ; funnily, may i had, in all the games i have been with cross-league teams (t2-4), as specifically designed by the devs, there was an even number of tiers between the two teams. so, again, IT'S A TEAM GAME.
Of course you lose one-on-one against higher tier ships more than the opposite (meaning, you win some too, especially when countering right, modules unlocked or not).
So play with your team. And target your same level opponents.
And to begin with, why the heck are you not attacking the Koshei instead ?!

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.