FORUMS

Minimum and Recommended specs

Posted: //
March 11, 2015, 3:54 p.m.

I saw the reddit Q&A and understand your answer to the poster who asked the same question. I am currently shopping to replace my processor since it is the oldest piece on my setup. Could you post the specs used on the computers at Pax as a guideline since it seemed to run very smoothly?

March 12, 2015, 1:05 p.m.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about the PAX PCs because they were all Origin PCs probably maxed out with the craziest stuff. However, I have a good piece of advice for helping you build your new setup.

First, I would go ahead and test out the Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha. Why you ask? Well, it's running the Unreal 4 Engine which is the newest graphics engine which Dreadnought is using. Put everything up to the max settings and see how it runs. Granted it's not as large a game area, but it will give you a fairly good idea of where your PC lies in terms of things currently. I did this exact thing and expected 20 FPS max (I'm running a GTX 770M which is decently outdated by now) and ended up running 60+FPS VERY smoothly. The new U4E is just incredible. They managed to find a way to deliver better, more visually appealing graphics at about half the processing power, which absolutely boggles my mind. I could very well be wrong on that, but discussing it over the weekend, I don't believe I am.

In any case, the next step is going ahead and taking a look at what you're currently running and deciding which of it is the oldest and which is a bigger priority to upgrade. Currently, it sounds like your processor needs upgrading. The challenge with this is depending what you're upgrading too, you're gonna want to go for a Processor and Motherboard combo, as there's a good chance the motherboard you have isn't able to handle the new processors.

As with the graphics, depending on what your running, you should be ok to squeak by, but that depends fully on your results of testing with UT4. If you run that fine, I'd focus more on memory. If not, then go with a GPU.

Most of all, and some people will groan at this, but Reddit is your friend. www.reddit.com/r/buildapc and www.reddit.com/r/buildapcforme will have tons of information for you to utilize, including some of the best deals currently going on in the internet. This will maximize your computers power through the most inexpensive ways possible.

If you need any help or feedback, feel free to ask me and I'll help however I can!

Best of luck!

"....Hohoholy cow, this isn't where I parked my car."

March 12, 2015, 1:21 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback. I rebuilt pretty much my entire computer around this time last year except for the processor. I was only playing things that weren't incredibly taxing so I figured I'd let it go for awhile. I'm sporting an AMD Athlon II X3 435 which is around 2.8ghz. In my socket type the difference between 3.5ghz and 4.0 is around 50 bucks so I'm debating how much I feel like spending to be honest. Most of the rest of my games are indie titles that don't really push the limits of my setup hence why I'm seeing what i can get away with before dropping my money.

March 12, 2015, 1:25 p.m.

Part of me is not too worried for my pc. Im running gtx680 and i7 processor. I think im gonna be fine.

Twitter: @_tastypixels
Steam: don_ninja

March 12, 2015, 1:29 p.m.

I think it'll run fine but if there is draw distance issues or something where an artillery ship is pegging me from beyond my sight range. I may be a bit cross at my comp haha.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.