FORUMS

MorallyGray: Can anyone, hopefully devs explain to me how the matchmaking works?

Posted: //
May 12, 2016, 9:55 a.m.

Simply put, as above. I find that the more people i have in a squad, the longer it takes to find a match, when logic implies that it would be quicker as you have premade so the game needs to find less players.

Is it that this is closed beta, and that is why the server system is, underwhelming to put it mildly. Or is it something else?

• Gray

May 12, 2016, 10:18 a.m.

Updated //
May 12, 2016, 10:23 a.m.

As has been stated before both here and on reddit, the game attempts to match pre-mades with pre-mades to reduce the amount of pub-stomping, but then after a period of time it will allow pre-mades to be matched up with the solo queue. There is a hidden ELO score which it tries to make the average for both teams to be equal. Actual numbers, as well as what factors into this ELO score have not been published or stated. The player base has realized that brand-new players are given a significantly higher ELO than a new persons skill level resulting in players < lvl5 being thrown into a group where everyone else is lvl 25+ (on a regular basis).

On average here are my queue times since I started tracking this info:

Solo - 2:36 (111 data points)
Duo - 2:41 (32 data points)
Trio - 4:11 (only 3 data points)
Quad - 6:13 (only 1 data point)
Full - 3:21 (only 6 data points)

For a closed beta I think these wait times are appropriate, and for the final release/open beta, really only my 3 and 4 man queue times need to come down to sub 5 minutes. Most MOBAs and FPS ladder rankings have wait times of < 5 minutes per match and do an excellent job of matching skill levels of players in and out of groups (presuming the player has played 20-30 games). For now deal with the wait times. when the game hits open beta and/or gets released then is an appropriate time to worry about queue times for pre-made groups.

"Sometimes you have fun, sometimes the fun has you."

May 12, 2016, 11:01 a.m.

Thank you for this information.

May 12, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

There are some flaws in your logic.
The MM basically currently will attempt to match squads vs squads, since the player pool is about the size of a fly over state 30th high school reunion there aren't that many players and even fewer squads.

Don't get mad - git gud.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.