General Discussion

Game just broke my interest in playing. can't play tier 3 ship in recruit, and vetran is locked

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 04:29 AM UTC 

I just played I don't know how many hours to get my first tier 3 ship. I tried to set my tier 3 ship to play in recruit, because I've seen many higher than tier 2 ships in recruit, and I can't. I'm not going to play lower tier ships in recruit mode to be able to play my hard work in game in veteran. I tried out veteran with tier 2 ship, and now can't advance because of this. This halts gameplay. This is bad design. I'm done.

Paladin: [observing the wreckage of the Concordia] May they rest in peace.
Blair: Peace. Have we ever known anything like that, Paladin?
Paladin: Not for a long time, laddie. (Quote from Wing Commander III)
http://hellcat5.com/

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 04:46 AM UTC 

This presumably won't help the topic starter since they're gone forever, but in the interest of enlightening anyone who happens to come across this:

The recruit and veteran tiers overlap; you can have tier 2 ships in a recruit or a veteran fleet. This means that if you have nothing but T2 ships in your recruit fleet you can be matched against veteran fleets, which means you have T3 and T4 ships in your "recruit" battle.

Presumably if you have nothing but T2 ships in your veteran fleet you can be put into recruit-tier matches where there's nothing but T1 and T2 ships, but it seems rather pointless to do so.

I've discovered that, as a "hack", if you have a spare slot in your recruit fleet you can put a random T1 ship in there and it seems to guarantee that you'll never be placed into a veteran-level match.

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 04:57 AM UTC 

For over two months, we've been telling the devs that Progression 2.0 was extremely poorly designed. It's leading to restrictive linear unlocks, uneven matchmaking, painful grind and poor player retention. We weren't just blindly whining about it either, but actively offered them ideas on alternative means of monetization and progression design. We're not exactly sure if they're hearing us or not, but it looks like they're doubling down on this current destructive path. There is a huge disconnect between what players want and what the devs are offering at the moment.

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 05:22 AM UTC 

I hate to say it but I think this game is in it's death-throes.
Progression 2.0 might as well be called "Regression 2.0: The Game Is Kill."

pew pew and all that.

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 06:46 AM UTC 

My hope is that the devs hear us, and have time to turn things around.

The problem when prototyping things and trying new ideas is, its hard to know what are the bad parts and what are the good parts. Everything is often put together very quickly, and slap-dash. Small details like the cost of items/upgrades, weapon damage values, etc, can be out of balance when prototyping.

I'd like to believe that:
- The first tree-based tier system was their attempt at a new model. Feedback was bad, and they thought "maybe we didn't tweak our trees/tiers correctly, and our small details were unbalanced because its a slap-dash prototype"
- Then latest version hits. They fine-tuned their small details, and try to get more feedback.

Hopefully, with the latest feedback on the latest progression system, the devs have realized that a tier tree system is not the way to go. Overwhelmingly, that is what their beta testers are saying, so I can only hope that they listen, and brainstorm some new ideas.

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 07:07 AM UTC 

We can only hope.
At this point I am at my wit's end myself.
Having put well over a hundred dollars (US) into this game, and happily so back in the day, I feel nothing less than betrayed by all that they've done.
More insulting to me and many other old players, those that are still around that is, is how the Dev's aren't even engaging in the discussion.

It calls to mind thoughts of No Man's Sky where the Dev's just went silent about the game.
I know they did a "dev talk" recently but it soothed no one's fears, in fact only increased them.

I personally believe that if they do not revert the game back to what it was within the next couple months, the game will be well and truly dead.
No old players left, new players only sticking around long enough to figure that the system is nothing but a grindfest, and one without even enough quality material to make it worth anyone's time.

So sad, this game was something of a pioneer, and had a legitimate chance at becoming something totally new in the gaming world.
Think about it... The original system was something that, if they had focused on creating new content(ships, skins, ship parts, decals, patterns, and emblems) within it, would've been an entirely unique model for gameplay.
Getting to build a ship(s) that felt like it was well and truly yours was unique and exciting.
Instead they're trying to go the route of Star Conflict and all the World of Tanks/Ships/etc model.
Completely ignoring the fact that those markets are already tapped, and many people want something else.

I would have no probable dumping cash into a game that let me make every ship utterly unique.
And this is what they originally said they wanted.
It feels like they have betrayed us.
I'm switching to Fractured Space.
Only checking in every now and then to see if they've wised up.

Nullzero#0144 posted (#post-97460)

My hope is that the devs hear us, and have time to turn things around.

The problem when prototyping things and trying new ideas is, its hard to know what are the bad parts and what are the good parts. Everything is often put together very quickly, and slap-dash. Small details like the cost of items/upgrades, weapon damage values, etc, can be out of balance when prototyping.

I'd like to believe that:
- The first tree-based tier system was their attempt at a new model. Feedback was bad, and they thought "maybe we didn't tweak our trees/tiers correctly, and our small details were unbalanced because its a slap-dash prototype"
- Then latest version hits. They fine-tuned their small details, and try to get more feedback.

Hopefully, with the latest feedback on the latest progression system, the devs have realized that a tier tree system is not the way to go. Overwhelmingly, that is what their beta testers are saying, so I can only hope that they listen, and brainstorm some new ideas.

pew pew and all that.

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 08:18 AM UTC 

When you only have tier 2 ships in your fleet, you sometimes go into veteran matches with t2 - t4 ships. This treats your fleet as a veteran fleet rather than a recruit fleet. Including maintenance costs cutting into your ability to actually make profit on your matches (and when you're t2 only and facing t4 ships, you're usually the ony paying those costs).

There "was" a bug where recruit fleets which included t1 ships could sometimes be matched into games with veteran players. This has been "fixed" so it "doesn't happen any more". This, of course, is the official line, which means that nothing actually changed and it still happens. It's also not really a bug. The playerbase isn't large enough for the tier separations to actually work, so the matchmaker will sometimes mix tiers just so it can actually create a match after waiting too long.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

POSTED //
Jan 23, 2017 at 08:30 AM UTC 

Last Updated //
Jan 23, 2017 at 08:31 AM UTC

I've seen this too, many times actually.
And while I can understand if you let some people from the higher tiers into a lower tier game, for the sake of mm'ing times, it should only be done on the basis that those of the higher tier must be split evenly between the two teams, thereby keeping a semblance of balance.

Sadly this is not the case and instead you get one team of tier II's vs a team of tier IV's, leading to an utter slaughter that is demoralizing on one side and unfulfilling on the other.

pew pew and all that.

POSTED //
Jan 25, 2017 at 07:39 PM UTC 

Last Updated //
Jan 25, 2017 at 08:03 PM UTC

Want to let you guys know that I'm unbanned from the forums now. I've written up an article about the entire thing - http://hellcat5.com/dreadnought-dread-not/

Best,
HC5

Paladin: [observing the wreckage of the Concordia] May they rest in peace.
Blair: Peace. Have we ever known anything like that, Paladin?
Paladin: Not for a long time, laddie. (Quote from Wing Commander III)
http://hellcat5.com/

Register or login to create a topic or post a reply.