FORUMS

Ship sizes

Posted: //
April 11, 2015, 4:11 a.m.

Updated //
April 11, 2015, 4:20 a.m.

Also don't forget there will be fighters in the game, as one of the Devs said it will be like one Cylon raider vs the Galactica so that should give you a sense of scale.

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

April 11, 2015, 4:16 a.m.

where is the ship with the maneuvering ability?

Dreadnought Wikia

April 11, 2015, 4:22 a.m.

DEVASTRATOR#4326 posted (#post-2100)

where is the ship with the maneuvering ability?

The Dreadnought can instantly warp to another part of the map, tactical cruisers can warp to a friendly target.

Is that what you mean?

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

April 11, 2015, 4:30 a.m.

There's also the Artillery Cruiser with a dive ability, the Corvette which can make a U-turn, warp quickly (less range than the Dreadnought but quicker to make), and the Fighter which as only maneuver abilities.

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

April 11, 2015, 4:32 a.m.

Updated //
April 11, 2015, 6:43 a.m.

no i mean this:
http://prntscr.com/6scmtb

EDIT---

Darkloser#6427 posted (#post-2103)

There's also the Artillery Cruiser with a dive ability, the Corvette which can make a U-turn, warp quickly (less range than the Dreadnought but quicker to make), and the Fighter which as only maneuver abilities.

thank you

Dreadnought Wikia

Sept. 4, 2016, 1:17 p.m.

Updated //
Sept. 4, 2016, 1:56 p.m.

DN_Dark_Fox_#1657 posted (#post-1144)

The ship sizes change quite a bit between the different classes. These are the five ships from PAX. The Zmey Dreadnought is our biggest Dreadnought currently.

The scaling of the ship models seems to be a little weird. First of all, after looking at parts of the ships and comparing them to their surrounding environments I came to the conclusion that they must be significantly longer than 100 - 447 or so meters. Even though I show the lengths in meters they obviously can't be entirely accurate, but still show how much longer they are.

I first had to find the approximate length of the fighter(which is more of a heavy gunship) by comparing it to a man. I just resized the outline of the man to be the size of the person in the fighter. Once again, obviously this won't guarantee complete accuracy but you can get a good idea of about how long it is in meters.

Now I have the size of the fighter on the chart. Notice how massive it is, it couldn't fit in the dreadnought's hangar. They are of course much smaller in game.

Here is the fighter near a plasma broadside gun, just extra reference for the next picture. You also see how small they are next to a monarch in game.

Now I compare the size of fighters to the Morningstar, the longest ship in game. You now can get a rough idea for about how long it is.

The other thing about ship models I noticed is some cosmetic aspects are out of scale. All visible doors are slightly too big, notably those on the Monarch and Flugora. They seem to be too big for a ship of that size. Additionally the deck on the Flugora and Cattaro are quite large, especially the Flugora's deck and door which is about the same size as the Kreshnik's two story deck(notice the size of the stairs compared to the door). Lastly the Monarch's two big doors on it's bridge make it look small compared to Zmey's bridge with its small decks, despite that the two bridges are about the same size in game. It's almost is as if a sedan was resized to be the size of a monster truck in a game(slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). The doors just make the ship model itself look small even though it is huge compared to it's surrounding environment of the hangar(the cranes, the train, the vehicle, and buildings within it etc.).

I thought I would point this out to you all, and if you see any flaws in my logic be sure to tell me. Even without having seen these pictures you can still eyeball some of the ships and tell they are over 400 or so meters. Sure knowing the size of the ships isn't essential to the game but maybe if the devs take notice it could affect how they design hero ships in the future. This is of course not to be over critical of the ship designs either because I think, aside from these minor features, they look awesome.

EDIT:

failed to see this post, but I still feel that the fighter is way to small(it seems to be only about 15 meters):
Long story short the sizes of the ships relative to each other here look great, but I think that 450 meters is to small for the Zmey. Just to put things in perspective the largest dreadnought is 50 meters smaller than the Halo UNSC frigate .

DN_Dark_Fox_#1657 posted (#post-1233)

Dedadude five seconds after I posted I realized I should've added the fighter. However I made an even bigger mistake that's not the Zemy Dreadnought this is.

Sept. 6, 2016, 4:41 a.m.

From picture above. Monarch Class is about 375 mates long from bow to stern and about 160 mates Beam
This size is equal USS Enterprise (CVN-65)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_(CVN-65)

Thai Fleet Commander

Sept. 6, 2016, 5:55 a.m.

Naris#8806 posted (#post-43753)

From picture above. Monarch Class is about 375 mates long from bow to stern and about 160 mates Beam

The scale there doesn't seem right though - using the windows and portholes as reference points make the ships seem much larger, especially when compared to the Enterprise above. I think Panzervcv is on to something.

If you look at some of the concept art, the ships seem much lager than 300-400m, especially when you use fighters as a comparison point. In the trailer especially, the fighters are dwarfed and insignificant against the prow of the mighty Monarch.

There's a slight lack of consistency where scale is concerned, I think. I'd be happy with settling it on the larger side of our estimates - the ships certainly feel a heck of a lot larger than our own contemporary warships, and I think they lose some of their grandeur if you think of them being lest than half a kilometer long.

Sept. 6, 2016, 5:09 p.m.

Kiiyor#1809 posted (#post-43754)

Naris#8806 posted (#post-43753)

The scale there doesn't seem right though - using the windows and portholes as reference points make the ships seem much larger, especially when compared to the Enterprise above. I think Panzervcv is on to something.

If you look at some of the concept art, the ships seem much lager than 300-400m, especially when you use fighters as a comparison point. In the trailer especially, the fighters are dwarfed and insignificant against the prow of the mighty Monarch.

There's a slight lack of consistency where scale is concerned, I think. I'd be happy with settling it on the larger side of our estimates - the ships certainly feel a heck of a lot larger than our own contemporary warships, and I think they lose some of their grandeur if you think of them being lest than half a kilometer long.

I agree completely. Even though the Monarch is about 375 meters long on the chart, in actuality it is definitely much longer. Look at the picture where I compared the Morningstar to a fighter. It looks like it is approximately 1600 meters. The monarch won't be that much smaller

June 27, 2018, 6:56 p.m.

Updated //
June 27, 2018, 6:58 p.m.

If this chart is to be belived then this is how big the ships are compared to both Star Wars and Star Trek. But going be the windows on the ships themselvs, they should be much bigger I'd think.

description

"...I don’t know. Fly casual.”

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.