FORUMS

Connecting To Server // Steam Fail

Posted: //
May 14, 2016, 8:46 a.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2016, 8:46 a.m.

It seems that when I load the binary directly from steam, I fail login (See my post in Player Support). Please make this more apparent in the UI as this will be a call generator.

Use Case for Steam:
I would prefer if I could load the executable directly so I can promote the game to my friends, and, I can use the steam overlay. I'm not sure if login is working for others in steam (or loading directly)

Manually Setup Dreadnought to work with Steam
Snib's 100% unsupported Automagic Steam Launcher App

May 14, 2016, 8:53 a.m.

I am not sure what you are trying to say.
Steam has absolutely nothing to do with Dreadnought. Also as far as I know the launcher also acts as a tool to verify various files before the start. I don't think it'll work well trying to go around it.

May 14, 2016, 9:05 a.m.

You can add non steam games to steam, and that this is a common practice among people that use steam. Doing so with this game, breaks the game.

Launching the game directly from the executable has worked for other games from other vendors, but yes, updates are expected to fail b/c launcher is gone. This is the only game that I've paid money for, that I am forced to use the 3rd party launcher every time.

Again, I have no issue with getting updates through the supplied launcher, but failing to login because I didn't use the launcher? That seems like a bad way to handle the situation. If the game needs updating, then stop the user as soon as they launch the game (Hey, the game is X, your running Y, exiting game, report that into some log file somewhere etc) I have no idea what bearing the launcher has on connecting, but that seems like a needless dependency.

May 14, 2016, 10:37 a.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2016, 10:53 a.m.

Solution is as follows:

Credit to AlexRou for pointing out that there's a batch file.

1) Add a non steam game to Steam
2) Point to your Dreadnought installation directory

IE: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grey Box\Dreadnought\DreadGame\DreadGame\Binaries\Win64\DreadGame-Win64-Shipping.exe"

3) Edit (NOT RUN) C:\Program Files (x86)\Grey Box\Dreadnought\DreadGame\Run_MmogBrain.bat
4) Copy the SERVER_VERSION and MMOGBRAIN_IP (As of right now, the version is 160504-1248_CL942673 and the IP is 169.44.27.178)
5) Close the file, DO NOT SAVE ANY CHANGES
6) In the steam library right click on the shortcut we just created and choose properties for the game
7) Click on "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."
8) Use the following nomenclature:

?mmog=MMOGBRAIN_IP?mport=7680?version=SERVER_VERSION -pak -log -culture=en

IE: ?mmog=169.44.27.178?mport=7680?version=160504-1248_CL942673 -pak -log -culture=en
9) Profit.

NOTE: If you see anomalies in game (can't connect, can't match make etc) check to ensure the variables in the batch file have not changed after you load the game directly from the vendor supplied launcher.

EDIT: Clarity

May 14, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2016, 11:49 a.m.

That's a mighty complicated way of going about that, and you'll have to update your link every time the game updates. Why not just add a shortcut to that .bat file directly?

I know, I know, way too easy, what was I thinking. smile

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 14, 2016, 2:08 p.m.

root#5897 posted (#post-34261)
If the game needs updating, then stop the user as soon as they launch the game

It does that. By the way of the launcher. You fire up the launcher, then it fires up the game.

Just add Steam shortcut to launcher as I did. DONE. Took whole of frelling 2 seconds to do. No quantum physics required. Did I mention it's DONE? Well, it's DONE.

Geez, honestly...

May 14, 2016, 3:55 p.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2016, 3:56 p.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-34310)

That's a mighty complicated way of going about that, and you'll have to update your link every time the game updates. Why not just add a shortcut to that .bat file directly?

If it just was as simple, but steam only allows shortcuts to exe's

ShRv_Galileus#4630 posted (#post-34331)

root#5897 posted (#post-34261)
If the game needs updating, then stop the user as soon as they launch the game

It does that. By the way of the launcher. You fire up the launcher, then it fires up the game.

Just add Steam shortcut to launcher as I did. DONE. Took whole of frelling 2 seconds to do. No quantum physics required. Did I mention it's DONE? Well, it's DONE.

Geez, honestly...

Too bad that for me at least that way I wont get the overlay ingame

May 14, 2016, 4 p.m.

Gummiel#9225 posted (#post-34360)

If it just was as simple, but steam only allows shortcuts to exe's

O Rly?

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 14, 2016, 10:11 p.m.

Maybe because this doesn't allow me to use the steam overlay or report the game I was playing to my friends, and you would know this if you actually tried your solution before posting.

May 14, 2016, 11:04 p.m.

root#5897 posted (#post-34411)

Maybe because this doesn't allow me to use the steam overlay or report the game I was playing to my friends, and you would know this if you actually tried your solution before posting.

Why would you need the Steam overlay anyway?
And if you want to report to your friends what you are playing, then just add the launcher or use anything else and rename it to "Dreadnought". Not that this is important either.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.