FORUMS

Connecting To Server // Steam Fail

Posted: //
May 14, 2016, 11:20 p.m.

Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-34424)
Why would you need the Steam overlay anyway?
And if you want to report to your friends what you are playing, then just add the launcher or use anything else and rename it to "Dreadnought". Not that this is important either.

I would like to use the steam overlay when things get boring. Waiting for matchmaking? I can use the overlay to browse reddit. Maybe I want to look up a loadout or see what a specific item does. Secondly, almost all my gaming friends are on steam, and it's easier for me to chat to them while I play. Borderless might work too, but that's not always available for all games, so I choose to use steam wherever possible. I also believe that some people are using Steam streaming to stream the game to a TV, which would be kinda cool.

To me this is important to evangelize the game because I want to increase the population as much as I can. People see me playing this game they have never heard of, they ask questions, maybe I perk their interest, word of mouth advertising basically. This is how I learned about the game, and ended up purchasing it.

Manually Setup Dreadnought to work with Steam
Snib's 100% unsupported Automagic Steam Launcher App

May 14, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

This belongs into "Player Support"

For the weeb in all of us! Anime Skins & Decals!
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/4472/
DESS! DESS! DESS!

May 14, 2016, 11:25 p.m.

LightMonk#8477 posted (#post-34429)

This belongs into "Player Support"

Generally, I agree. Still new here. smile Since Steam was never an intended method from the dev's to launch the game, I would probably agree that it belongs more in player support than here. (Is this something I can do?)

May 14, 2016, 11:34 p.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2016, 11:37 p.m.

root#5897 posted (#post-34428)
I would like to use the steam overlay when things get boring. Waiting for matchmaking? I can use the overlay to browse reddit. Maybe I want to look up a loadout or see what a specific item does. Secondly, almost all my gaming friends are on steam, and it's easier for me to chat to them while I play. Borderless might work too, but that's not always available for all games, so I choose to use steam wherever possible. I also believe that some people are using Steam streaming to stream the game to a TV, which would be kinda cool.

To me this is important to evangelize the game because I want to increase the population as much as I can. People see me playing this game they have never heard of, they ask questions, maybe I perk their interest, word of mouth advertising basically. This is how I learned about the game, and ended up purchasing it.

So you're one of those who do not know about the Borderless Fullscreen mode.
Because while waiting for a match, even partly during a match I quickly Alt-Tab to my desktop stuff. I still hear and partly see the game in the background, so I won't miss anything. That is way more useful than bothering with the Steam overlay. Because it doesn't affect your usual workflow/experience, and of course it allows you to do way more...because it's your usual desktop, not some ingame browsers.

May 14, 2016, 11:43 p.m.

Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-34432)
So you're one of those who do not know about the Borderless Fullscreen mode.
Because while waiting for a match, even partly during a match I quickly Alt-Tab to my desktop stuff. I still hear and partly see the game in the background, so I won't miss anything. That is way more useful than bothering with the Steam overlay. Because it doesn't affect your usual workflow/experience.

As I mentioned in my post, I can use borderless for this game, but not all games, thus, I have one process for all games regardless if they support borderless or not. (Steam Overlay) Another side benefit of steam overlay is the nice FPS counter (yes, there are other apps that do that, but why would I use them, when steam does all the things I want, and some (steam streaming for one to broadcast to friends or other devices in the house) )

I've been using steam and it's overlay for at least the past decade, and I've grown accustom to it. So far, only one game really breaks with it.

May 15, 2016, 6 a.m.

root#5897 posted (#post-34434)
As I mentioned in my post, I can use borderless for this game, but not all games, thus, I have one process for all games regardless if they support borderless or not. (Steam Overlay) Another side benefit of steam overlay is the nice FPS counter (yes, there are other apps that do that, but why would I use them, when steam does all the things I want, and some (steam streaming for one to broadcast to friends or other devices in the house) )

I've been using steam and it's overlay for at least the past decade, and I've grown accustom to it. So far, only one game really breaks with it.

If you're thinking that way, then I guess there's no point in debating this any further.
Maybe the developers will bother with this "issue" at some point, maybe not.
IMO there's no need to waste time/resources with this, though.

May 15, 2016, 7:36 a.m.

root#5897 posted (#post-34411)

Snib#1627 posted (#post-34310)

That's a mighty complicated way of going about that, and you'll have to update your link every time the game updates. Why not just add a shortcut to that .bat file directly?

I know, I know, way too easy, what was I thinking. smile

Maybe because this doesn't allow me to use the steam overlay or report the game I was playing to my friends, and you would know this if you actually tried your solution before posting.

Fair enough, I never cared about that but that makes sense, so to present you another easy solution I give you this:

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/5211

enjoy smile

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 15, 2016, 8:11 p.m.

Just thought I add some info. Why I think the overlay isn't working when linking the launcher/bat is cause the process of launching a exe through a bat file is different from launching one within a exe and steam was designed to follow the exe's method so it breaks.

I've seen games with launchers that have the overlays in the game so it isn't a issue of steam launching a exe which launches another exe.

If that is the problem then the fix could be as simple as removing the bat file and having the launcher start the exe directly and have any dynamic args be pulled from the server at start or store them in some file where the launcher reads from. Or like remove the need for args and hardcode the values into the exe, but I think they are doing that to save patch size and/or to easily support events with local servers.

Or if I'm totally wrong and it requires actual steam api integration then ... smile

May 15, 2016, 8:32 p.m.

Updated //
May 15, 2016, 8:33 p.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-34458)
Fair enough, I never cared about that but that makes sense, so to present you another easy solution I give you this:

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/5211

enjoy smile

Hah, neat. I'm too lazy to change it now, but once the server updates the IP or client, I'll give it a go.

May 15, 2016, 8:37 p.m.

AlexRou#6994 posted (#post-34600)

Just thought I add some info. Why I think the overlay isn't working when linking the launcher/bat is cause the process of launching a exe through a bat file is different from launching one within a exe and steam was designed to follow the exe's method so it breaks.

I've seen games with launchers that have the overlays in the game so it isn't a issue of steam launching a exe which launches another exe.

If that is the problem then the fix could be as simple as removing the bat file and having the launcher start the exe directly and have any dynamic args be pulled from the server at start or store them in some file where the launcher reads from. Or like remove the need for args and hardcode the values into the exe, but I think they are doing that to save patch size and/or to easily support events with local servers.

Or if I'm totally wrong and it requires actual steam api integration then ... smile

As far as I know, steam only monitors the single process and it's children, otherwise, the batch file would work. One method to work around the issue is to simply change the bat to exe and that should work (have not tested, AMMV). The problem is you would have to do this with every update. (re-run the tool to convert the batch to executable -- assuming that process even works)

If you do try that method (batch to exe) please let us know what software you used to convert, and if it was successful.

GL!

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.