FORUMS

Connecting To Server // Steam Fail

Posted: //
May 15, 2016, 10:23 p.m.

root#5897 posted (#post-34605)

AlexRou#6994 posted (#post-34600)

Just thought I add some info. Why I think the overlay isn't working when linking the launcher/bat is cause the process of launching a exe through a bat file is different from launching one within a exe and steam was designed to follow the exe's method so it breaks.

I've seen games with launchers that have the overlays in the game so it isn't a issue of steam launching a exe which launches another exe.

If that is the problem then the fix could be as simple as removing the bat file and having the launcher start the exe directly and have any dynamic args be pulled from the server at start or store them in some file where the launcher reads from. Or like remove the need for args and hardcode the values into the exe, but I think they are doing that to save patch size and/or to easily support events with local servers.

Or if I'm totally wrong and it requires actual steam api integration then ... smile

As far as I know, steam only monitors the single process and it's children, otherwise, the batch file would work. One method to work around the issue is to simply change the bat to exe and that should work (have not tested, AMMV). The problem is you would have to do this with every update. (re-run the tool to convert the batch to executable -- assuming that process even works)

If you do try that method (batch to exe) please let us know what software you used to convert, and if it was successful.

GL!

I just realized ... someone could just code a program to read the bat file's args and launch the game lol

May 16, 2016, 12:23 a.m.

Soo I got bored and wrote the program lol. It takes in the game's install location as the argument (e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Grey Box\Dreadnought")

It will work across patches as long as they don't change the bat file's format, cuz I got lazy in the parsing.

Here's the source (compile it yourself, I don't think I want to provide binaries incase anything goes wrong and people start blaming me smile) Soo yeah it looks like the devs could easily fix this in 5 mins by editing their launcher.

http://pastebin.com/p2A6uf7E

May 16, 2016, 9:11 a.m.

AlexRou#6994 posted (#post-34608)

I just realized ... someone could just code a program to read the bat file's args and launch the game lol

I already had on the previous page actually (a binary because those who need this most likely won't be helped by the sources). Unlike yours it keeps running while the game is running. I hadn't even tried to check whether Steam would stick to the child process even if the parent exits because it wouldn't do that with the batch file, but apparently it works, so I'll change that. On the other hand my parsing and error checking isn't as lazy as yours. smile

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 16, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

Updated //
May 16, 2016, 9:59 a.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-34678)

AlexRou#6994 posted (#post-34608)

I already had on the previous page actually (a binary because those who need this most likely won't be helped by the sources). Unlike yours it keeps running while the game is running. I hadn't even tried to check whether Steam would stick to the child process even if the parent exits because it wouldn't do that with the batch file, but apparently it works, so I'll change that. On the other hand my parsing and error checking isn't as lazy as yours. smile

Was too lazy to read the whole thread smile, and I prefer sources so no one can go say its a virus and then blames you if something goes wrong. Also putting the source makes it so that someone else in the future can edit it incase the author leaves the forums and there needs to be a update.

EDIT: BTW how do you determine the install location? Hard code or registry?

May 16, 2016, 10:54 a.m.

Updated //
May 16, 2016, 10:56 a.m.

AlexRou#6994 posted (#post-34682)

Hey, I'm lazy, too, so I don't do either, instead I'm just telling people to put the launcher in the install location and take it from there. smile

Figured that would be easier for most people than having to pass it as an argument because this way they can just add it in Steam and be done.

PS: As to sources, I've been releasing various tools for games for years, originally I'd provide the sources but all that ever sprung from that was people asking me what to do with them, whereas nobody ever even doubted the binaries (people are too trusting).

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 16, 2016, 11:06 a.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-34695)

AlexRou#6994 posted (#post-34682)

Hey, I'm lazy, too, so I don't do either, instead I'm just telling people to put the launcher in the install location and take it from there. smile

Figured that would be easier for most people than having to pass it as an argument because this way they can just add it in Steam and be done.

PS: As to sources, I've been releasing various tools for games for years, originally I'd provide the sources but all that ever sprung from that was people asking me what to do with them, whereas nobody ever even doubted the binaries (people are too trusting).

I used args cuz some launchers tend to purge the install dir on a patch. So its much safer since you can put it outside the install dir.

May 16, 2016, 11:10 a.m.

Sure, although I know that their launcher doesn't remove unknown files. Anyway, one thing is for sure, we've both spent more time writing on the forums about it than we've spent hacking those few lines of code it. smile

May 16, 2016, 11:17 a.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-34700)

Sure, although I know that their launcher doesn't remove unknown files. Anyway, one thing is for sure, we've both spent more time writing on the forums about it than we've spent hacking those few lines of code it. smile

I literally copied pasted microsoft's example usage.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682512(v=vs.85).aspx

May 16, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

Updated //
May 16, 2016, 1:30 p.m.

Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-34424)

root#5897 posted (#post-34411)

Snib#1627 posted (#post-34310)

That's a mighty complicated way of going about that, and you'll have to update your link every time the game updates. Why not just add a shortcut to that .bat file directly?

I know, I know, way too easy, what was I thinking. smile

Maybe because this doesn't allow me to use the steam overlay or report the game I was playing to my friends, and you would know this if you actually tried your solution before posting.

Why would you need the Steam overlay anyway?
And if you want to report to your friends what you are playing, then just add the launcher or use anything else and rename it to "Dreadnought". Not that this is important either.

Why are you being confrontational about him wanting the Steam overlay? He wants the overlay and isn't able to get it. What difference does it make why he wants it?

Playing this game for 3 days and my first 2 posts that I read are people being confrontational or just nasty.

As a free to play game, it needs constant new players to survive. To support those new players you need a welcoming community, ton's of great F2P games fail and their communities die off because when someone says "Hey I help with this" the more Elite players act rude and uninviting (looking at you Hawken smile ).

Help people and more people will play, the more people play the more monies Greybox gets, the more monies Greybox gets the more content they can provide.

I really hope these initial posts aren't indicative of the community here. I really enjoyed the few games I've played.

May 16, 2016, 6:58 p.m.

Trionix11#9074 posted (#post-34719)
I really hope these initial posts aren't indicative of the community here. I really enjoyed the few games I've played.

In fairness, I think that he really disliked some of my previous suggestions to work around known issues, and that's fine, each person is entitled to their own opinion. Perhaps he was just having a bad day, we've all been there.

The important thing (for me) is that I report the issue with some kind of suggestion to mitigate the issue (Anyone can point out issues), and work with the community to flesh out the suggestion so that it can be added to the game (or not -- in this case some community members made a steam launcher, and that would have never come about if someone didn't ask "why not?". Mission Accomplished (to use a Bushism) )

Manually Setup Dreadnought to work with Steam
Snib's 100% unsupported Automagic Steam Launcher App

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.