FORUMS

DPS vs healing. Should there be other healing counters (edited)

Posted: //
May 14, 2016, 1:58 p.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2016, 2:18 p.m.

I just posted something similar on a separate post but wondering if I should open the discussion a little bit wider.

Playing the game for a short while and there appears to be two opposing balance questions (not sure if this is the right expression but it's close enough);

1. Corvette dps is high and can be .... difficult to deal with
  2. Healing ships (tac cruisers) heal too quickly

Arena based combat games have always had this issue and the main reason, I think, the above is true is because the corvette and the Tac cruisers are counters to each other. However do they have to be?

For example, there is no counter to healing in the game other than pure dps (e.g. the vette). However buffing the corvettes dps causes issues with balancing vs bigger ships.

So what about introducing the following;

• Anti healing missiles or AOE (either player targeted for reduced healing or AOE like the nuke to scatter formations)
  • Anti healing passive abilities on the dreadnoughts, E.g. if they are in range of other ships they reduce healing by x%. This encourages close quarter fleet battles to limit healers or push formations around.
  • Anti healing beams (secondary weapons). Exactly as a healing beam but reduces healing on the target or output via the healer. Corvettes could use these to line of sight ships in co-ordinated strikes.

Thoughts, indignant remarks welcome smile

Max

May 14, 2016, 2:44 p.m.

While I am not a 'pro', I have been playing for quite a bit.

I am going to disagree with both of your points.

Corvette DPS is high but they are also very squishy. If you are flying away from your team and didn't see the ambush coming you pretty much deserve to die. Even that is far from guarantee, there are a lot of modules and briefings that makes it very difficult for a corvette take someone down. I agree that when you are new, the seem very powerful. However as you learn the game you come to a quick realization that there are a lot of counters to them.

Very similar point applies to healing if all of you guys are shooting a dreadnaught that is being healed by a tec cruiser you are doing it wrong. There already a lot of tools to take down healers rather quickly, drain torps combined with nukes, purge snipers, suicide destroyers, list goes on. It does require a little of coordination between team mates. After you take down enemy healer, he spawns 1/2 the way across the map from his team at which point your corvettes should make a quick work of him.

Is it perfectly balanced? Absolutely not. However team work (healer + tank) should not be as easy to counter as equipping a single module and pressing a single button. IMO team work should always trump anything any single ship can do.

May 14, 2016, 2:53 p.m.

GlacianNex#8735 posted (#post-34337)

Is it perfectly balanced? Absolutely not. However team work (healer + tank) should not be as easy to counter as equipping a single module and pressing a single button. IMO team work should always trump anything any single ship can do.

So very much this. I'm sure there will be balance tweaks down the line but I hope the game stays as teamwork centric as it is - or becomes even more so.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 14, 2016, 3:04 p.m.

I agree with some of these ideas. While there are so many counters to killing a healer, and teamwork in general will save the day, the idea of a missile or a pulse field that reduces healing by X% does intrigue me.

"This Aion looks like a space whale."

May 14, 2016, 3:07 p.m.

BlingChicken#6474 posted (#post-34349)

the idea of a missile or a pulse field that reduces healing by X% does intrigue me.

Weaponbreaker missile already exists, just a bit high level

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 14, 2016, 3:33 p.m.

Updated //
May 14, 2016, 3:34 p.m.

I play the tac cruiser pretty much exclusively and most of the time when people complained about healing, the other team largely left me alone or didnt commit enough to killing me. Let's say we're fighting 2vs2: 2 dreadnoughts vs a dreadnought plus my tac cruiser. The two enemy dreadnoughts shoot my dreadnought friend and ignore me. Should they win? I do not think so. If, all things being equal, you could just ignore the tac cruiser and overbear their healing relatively easy, there would be no point to having them. Especially the Koschei is a sitting duck without his buddies, but the Aion seems to fare little better.

May 14, 2016, 3:34 p.m.

What everyone else has said. Corvettes are easy enough to deal with, sometimes a lone healer can deal with them if built properly....And if the Vett player has trouble hitting his shots. As for healing, there have been many times where a enemy team has out DPSed my healing, I have no trouble with any of your issues personally.

May 14, 2016, 3:50 p.m.

l3loodless#6326 posted (#post-34357)

What everyone else has said. Corvettes are easy enough to deal with, sometimes a lone healer can deal with them if built properly....And if the Vett player has trouble hitting his shots. As for healing, there have been many times where a enemy team has out DPSed my healing, I have no trouble with any of your issues personally.

This so much even with beam amplifier -> energy gen -> power to weapons i been outdpses once or twice, not often but i do plaw 2 cd's + energy for that) so the enemy should have to do the something similar to outdps it

May 14, 2016, 5:18 p.m.

This is the exact teamwork that everyone is talking about on how to counter a good tac. It is possible to out DPS a single tac with only 2 other ships, but really you need to be focusing on the tac and not the ship it's repairing. Unfortunately, most new players see the big Monarch out in the open and just start shooting at it and completely ignore the Tac healing it, even when the Tac gets flushed out into the open.

l3loodless#6326 posted (#post-34357)

"Sometimes you have fun, sometimes the fun has you."

May 14, 2016, 5:24 p.m.

Just out of curiosity, you guys getting out-dps-ed by two ships, you're running an Aion, right? Or your heavy ship doesn't like shields? I'm just wondering because even without a beam amplifier I pretty much never seem to lose my big buddy with the Koschei in 2vs2 unless the opponents actually go for me instead of whoever I'm healing or I'm far from my ally.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.