FORUMS

Developer Q&A Megathread (Game Modes and Maps)

Posted: //
March 12, 2015, 3 p.m.

Captains,

Now that these forums have been graced with the presence of the folks over at Yager it's time for you to submit your questions and get some answers! Do you have questions about the game modes and maps in Dreadnought? Ask them here in this game mode and maps thread! Otherwise you can find the appropriate Q&A threads in the other sections of the forum.

Arm the question cannons and fire away!

-Drakane

March 12, 2015, 3:09 p.m.

Hello Everyone at Yager!
My names Shuriko and Im super hyped about this game and I cant wait til I get to try it out!
But I have a question about game modes. In my topic back at https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/437/
I was wondering or suggesting a Map where we have a bigger map than what we have seen so far and its divided into different zones. Each zone owned will get a small bonus for the team and the goal for the map is to either Conquer all zones or Deplete the enemy teams resources. Is there Any plans on such a map? And if not Could it be added :P ?

But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of Fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.

March 12, 2015, 3:14 p.m.

Ever thought about big-team battle mode, something like 15-20+ people per team? I've always been a fan of large team games and it'd be cool to have two huge armadas fighting against each other!

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

March 12, 2015, 3:53 p.m.

I hope that Team Elimination mode will be set up to be the mode for the tournaments and competetions. Also point capture would be cool or king of the hill mode. But so far I am really impressed with the team elimination mode and I think its really great idea to involve the small fighters as well.

Searching for a new competetive and I hope this one will be the one I am looking for

March 12, 2015, 4:09 p.m.

Are there any plans for more environmental interaction?

"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein

March 12, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

For Team Elimination mode : Will we be able to have multiple aircraft class and customization like for the Ships ? Like kind of Bombers and Interceptors style ?

Do you plan to make only team modes or will there be some free for all modes as well ? Will we see more than two teams in some team modes ?

What are your plans on the map sizes, will you try to always get the approximative same size or will you try to do different sizes ?

I don't know if it really belong in this section, but do you plan anything on community creation (like the possibility to create content for the game, be it modes or maps or something else, and submit them to you for validation) ?

Can I play as a little fighter and do a star wars remake by bombing a planet sized interstellar station ?

That's what I got in mind for now. I will post more if I have other questions.

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

March 12, 2015, 5:26 p.m.

About maps: aside from the 3 maps seen until now, how many do you plan to create before the release?

March 13, 2015, 6:59 a.m.

Darkloser#6427 posted (#post-730)

For Team Elimination mode : Will we be able to have multiple aircraft class and customization like for the Ships ? Like kind of Bombers and Interceptors style ?

Do you plan to make only team modes or will there be some free for all modes as well ? Will we see more than two teams in some team modes ?

What are your plans on the map sizes, will you try to always get the approximative same size or will you try to do different sizes ?

I don't know if it really belong in this section, but do you plan anything on community creation (like the possibility to create content for the game, be it modes or maps or something else, and submit them to you for validation) ?

Can I play as a little fighter and do a star wars remake by bombing a planet sized interstellar station ?

That's what I got in mind for now. I will post more if I have other questions.

1. We currently have 3 different fighters. A fighter jet, a bomber, and an interceptor. The latter can use its anti-missile laser to shoot down enemy missiles.
  2. We currently have no plans for a free-for-all mode. Almost all of Dreadnought's balance is around team play.
  3. Map sizes is actually an evolving form at the moment, and it's quite exciting really. We're actually investigating maps that are almost double the size of our ice map. A bigger map really opens up strategy planning for Team Elimination.
  4. This is something we'd definitely like to do but we won't be able to do anything early on.
  5. Since we don't have any planet destroying space stations, you'll have to settle with bombing large capital ships. :)

Chipinators#8309 posted (#post-702)

Ever thought about big-team battle mode, something like 15-20+ people per team? I've always been a fan of large team games and it'd be cool to have two huge armadas fighting against each other!

It's been brought up several times and we've decided to keep it 5 v 5 for now. We feel that 5 v 5 is a nice sweet spot for team coordination. Too many players could turn into a spam-fest and any semblance of team play would be lost. There's also severe performance implications when you add a lot of players into a match. However, we may revisit this in the future.
As for really large maps, since we're limited by the player count, there's a certain sweet spot when it comes to map size. Go too small and there's no need for careful positioning. Go too big and players will spend too much time looking for enemies to shoot.

Nathan "nwood" Wood
Senior Level Designer, YAGER

March 13, 2015, 11:55 a.m.

Thank you for the answers Nathan !

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

March 13, 2015, 1:26 p.m.

Will there be anymore ship classes added?

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.