FORUMS

YouTube Monetization Policy

Posted: //
May 16, 2016, 2:53 p.m.

Alright. So I'd love to record videos then post them to YouTube of Dreadnought, if it be reviews, commentary, or w/e.
And I'd also like permission to use YouTube's monetization tool to place ads overlaying, before, and after the video that I can collect revenue from.

I'd like to either see a link to an official policy regarding this, or admin/moderator/dev input on this in order to allow me to do this.

Thanks, Monarchco.

May 16, 2016, 6 p.m.

+1

Although I don't post video's anymore on YouTube, I think that this is a valid question. I believe that when I did post things there, we used the "fair use" policy which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/fair-use.html but, I don't know if that changes maybe based on the fact that you are collecting money from it. (Also, has been a few years, so legislature may have changed)

IMO (Which is not lawyer/dev/mod/admin) as long as your not saying "OMG this game suuucks" (IE: Negative Advertising) I wouldn't expect the vendor to have issue, but I would 100% recommend waiting on someone with authority to give their perspective.

Cheers and GL!

Manually Setup Dreadnought to work with Steam
Snib's 100% unsupported Automagic Steam Launcher App

May 22, 2016, 1:07 a.m.

Yeah I certainly need actual confirmation, and will likely reach out to their support team for an answer.

Primarily, my MCN(Multi-Channel Network), requires me to have permission(as technically everyone does, but most do it anyways).

Most developers provide something like this: http://thewitcher.com/en/videopolicy and I few I've had to reach out to their support for them to give the go-ahead.

and it's worth noting, that greybox has had a statement on their greygoo forums saying it is allowed ( https://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/forum/topic/249/ ), but that is greygoo, and when companies like EA, and Microsoft provide different permissions for different games, then I can't use that.
As far as your comment about negative advertising, a while back(2-3 years ago), SEGA issued copyright infringement strikes to all YouTube videos with SEGA games in them(including the entire Total War Series, Company of Heroes, etc, among other games). And since then, YouTube, and MCN's have really tightened up the reins.

Primarily, because how MCN's work, if there is a copyright issue, it goes against them, not me. Because all videos are automatically claimed by the YouTuber's MCN, and this is how they handle monetization, ad-optimization, as well as copyright holding(so if someone else uploads your video that you already uploaded, your MCN leverages a copyright violation against them).

I'm going to actually send a email to support, and see what they say. I'll report back here if I remember.

May 27, 2016, 12:33 a.m.

its all in Fairuse you dont need to ask them. your not claiming you own the game you just own the video you made and posted on youtube. if they do copyright strike you that either means they had an NDA which states you cant upload youtube videos yet or they just felt like copy right striking for some reason

May 27, 2016, 12:59 a.m.

kingchessgaming#1020 posted (#post-36433)

its all in Fairuse you dont need to ask them. your not claiming you own the game you just own the video you made and posted on youtube. if they do copyright strike you that either means they had an NDA which states you cant upload youtube videos yet or they just felt like copy right striking for some reason

I really hate responses like this.
1) No. Unless you're doing hardcore editing, talking the entire video without letting up, and probably even inserting your own graphics, it does NOT qualify under "fair use". But most people who say things like you, aren't educated in how copyright laws work, specifically DMCA, and probably don't do more than a video or 2 a year on YouTube, if that, and they're probably vlogs.

2) I reached out to the devs, and they gave permission by support team.

May 27, 2016, 11:11 a.m.

Hey Monarchco and others, please reach out to us via community@playdreadnought.com for concerns of this matter. THanks!

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

May 29, 2016, 2:20 a.m.

DN_EmptyTuxedo#3505 posted (#post-36459)

Hey Monarchco and others, please reach out to us via community@playdreadnought.com for concerns of this matter. THanks!

While this is appreciated I have to agree with the first post in that it would be preferable to have a page devoted to this with a clear statement on your policies for this game involving YouTube. YouTube requires a link or pdf statement in the event of a copyright claim.

I haz a YouTube check it out
www.youtube.com/c/troabarton

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.