FORUMS

How can we help this game make money without feeling used?

Posted: //
Jan. 26, 2017, 9:06 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 26, 2017, 9:10 a.m.

To start please lets keep the constructive and positive. Lets not focus on what may or may not be wrong but brainstorm ideas that may help the Devs and player base reach that glorious middle ground smile

I hope this helps as a word of warning. I was a closed alpha tester with world of tanks (in fact my team won the first Ural steel tournament for north America) And as someone stated in another post I only played the last year or two out of a sense of "I've spent this much time and money it would be a waste to quit." That was a mistake looking back it only made me angrier and more disappointment in the end I just stopped playing. Why because the Devs stopped listening and started skinning World of tanks into an air and sea game and at that point you can see their other games suffer. I refused to buy Master of Orion because of world of tanks and looking back I was right. The game wasn't even out of beta and they started selling DLC if the game is not complete it's not DLC it's basic game components.

Now on the other had I have Star Citizen I have spent close to the same amount and this game isn't all that playable. That game has pulled in stupid amounts of money why because the players feel invested like part of the process. Still you'll see whiners but over all the constant flood of information given to players keeps us busy so we don't have the time to stare at forums and think about what makes us mad. If I'm frustrated with the current state of the game I can go look at all sorts of concept work, Dev streams, Schedule-report, or a number of other things.

I'm not trying to tell you to change what you have throw it out or keep it. I want to give you money to play your game but I don't want to feel like I'm forced to in a free to play game. Every game is different and every group of players will be the same way so what works in game A might be the worst idea for game B. How ever I am a grown up and I do not expect Free so do not mistake this as I don't want to pay as one person suggested. But I do expect to get what I pay for.

Last thing is the only suggestion I can think of we want more communication with Dev's and they really don't feel like dealing with the jerks out here. I get it how about a subscription plan just give those players who want to be more vested in the game pay for our own sub forum with more direct access to the Dev team? No advantage in game you earn more money and we feel like we are getting something for said money. There are almost limitless ways we as a community can support a game we like we just need to brainstorm more and stop rehashing the same things over and over.

I know I was all over but I just want to get us talking in a constructive way so we can work through a lot of this negativity.

Respectfully
Sgt. Ret Tim

Rule #1 There is an exception to every rule.
Rule #2 Anything is possible it is just a matter of probable.
Rule #3 See Rules 1-2.

Jan. 26, 2017, 9:14 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 26, 2017, 9:15 a.m.

One suggestion for change I can think of (though I don't have any major grievances against the current system, as I've outlined in numerous other posts) is to add a more varied selection of cosmetic options and increase revenue for Veteran tier fleet to make money grinding a bit more rewarding. XP earning rates seem fine to me- it only takes 60-ish games to research right up to T4, which is a vastly better rate than other games with similar systems.

Hopefully, if done right, the cosmetic options will provide a good alternative to people who were otherwise on the edge of frustration with grinding and about to begrudgingly spend money to speed up the grind. Instead, those player would have a more positive spending experience for something they just want, not feel pressured to buy. And hopefully, if done right, the net income for Dreadnought would remain consistent.

Also great post- this is exactly the kind of thing I (and I think the devs) like to see on the forums =D

Make The Forums Great Again!

Jan. 26, 2017, 9:23 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 26, 2017, 9:25 a.m.

Maybe a radical idea, but how about allowing players to trade gold coins for silver coins between each other. hides from the mob no really, read my example.

Example:
Player A is willing to spend a good amount of cash in the game and buys gold coins, but only has little time to play.
Player B has lots of time at hand, but little cash and really wants a shiny new skin for his favorite ship.

Player A could now turn gold into coins 1:100, but player B with his surplus of time has grinded huge amounts of coins and would be willing to spend 110 coins per gold.
Player A gets a bit more coins for his gold and Player B can now buy his new skin without spending real money, both are happy.
Now you could say: "But Greybox won´t make money of this!" sure they do, as the gold still has to be bought by someone. This system works for Eve online for years now and is a good example of how this can make a game more affordable.

Edit: Of course Greybox should make very clear, that they are not responsible for mistypes or something. Its your risk if of you take part in such transactions.

Jan. 26, 2017, 9:33 a.m.

Productive way to improve monetisation - my usual suggestion:

1. Remove the maintenance - like we had before progression 2.0
  2. Remove tiers - like we had before progression 2.0
  3. Turn the 15 ships with unique and varied customisation, each with a semi-random number of weaker less-flexible clones back into JUST 15 unique and customisable ships.
  4. Use the "new ships" added in progression 2.0 as cosmetic options for paid customers (ONE monetisation addition)
  5. Unlock progression rewards from the specific levels, letting players choose ANY applicable item with a "token" system. Call it "research" or anything else that makes sense.
  6. Ramp up the grind as a player gains experience, increasing the incentive to buy premum time (TWO monetisation options) as the player gains more items. Let us get invested with the game, then make it take more work to get more stuff - don't just shove a toll gate in our path as we're walking through the front door.
  7. Add a direct "buy to progress" option which costs a significant amount, but will become viable as the grind ramps up at high XP levels, where it's more efficient to pay a $10 or $20 instant token/ship unlock purchases. Early on, these won't look so attractive because you can grind the next ship out in a day or 2, but later it'll be looking like several months away and paying a bit to skip the delay might be nice. (THREE good monetisation mechanics)

These systems, instead of being purely there as monetisation incentives/paywalls, are justified as progression/fun-enhancing systems, which also benefit the game's monetisation.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Jan. 26, 2017, 9:37 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 26, 2017, 9:59 a.m.

If they had a fixed trading system in place (like all trades are locked at X credits/gold or something) you wouldn't need to worry about scams/mistypes, either. That's a pretty good idea imo.

(Geeze the last 5 forum posts are by me. I need a life.)

Jan. 26, 2017, 10 a.m.

Nurgle84#5332 posted (#post-98949)

Maybe a radical idea, but how about allowing players to trade gold coins for silver coins between each other. hides from the mob no really, read my example.

Example:
Player A is willing to spend a good amount of cash in the game and buys gold coins, but only has little time to play.
Player B has lots of time at hand, but little cash and really wants a shiny new skin for his favorite ship.

Player A could now turn gold into coins 1:100, but player B with his surplus of time has grinded huge amounts of coins and would be willing to spend 110 coins per gold.
Player A gets a bit more coins for his gold and Player B can now buy his new skin without spending real money, both are happy.
Now you could say: "But Greybox won´t make money of this!" sure they do, as the gold still has to be bought by someone. This system works for Eve online for years now and is a good example of how this can make a game more affordable.

Edit: Of course Greybox should make very clear, that they are not responsible for mistypes or something. Its your risk if of you take part in such transactions.

Actually They do something like that with Dilithium and Zen(gold) in Star Trek online and it actually works pretty well. The premium skins and ships works too buying a ship that gives no advantage but looks way different is actually something I know myself and a lot of people like (I will pay extra for that Purple or Pink ship just to be different). How about premium emots or broadcast for battle I'd pay extra to hear my captain yell something at the enemy or just extra expressions.

Rule #3 See Rules 1-2.

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:10 a.m.

Freder#2825 posted (#post-98955)

How about premium emots or broadcast for battle

This sounds like WAY too muh fun!

Broadsides: "FIRE EVERYTHING!"
Missiles: "Fox two... HUNDRED!"
Torpedoes: "Torps away..."
Nuke: "End it. Now!" sound of big red button being pressed
Plasma ram: "GET ME CLOSER! I WANT TO HIT IT WITH MY SWORD!"

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:13 a.m.

obliviondoll#5677 posted (#post-98958)

Freder#2825 posted (#post-98955)

How about premium emots or broadcast for battle

This sounds like WAY too muh fun!

Broadsides: "FIRE EVERYTHING!"
Missiles: "Fox two... HUNDRED!"
Torpedoes: "Torps away..."
Nuke: "End it. Now!" sound of big red button being pressed
Plasma ram: "GET ME CLOSER! I WANT TO HIT IT WITH MY SWORD!"

The Broadsides and Plasma Rams are too good xD I'd pay to customize that- sounds hilarious!

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:33 a.m.

That's just it customized sounds is not that big a thing and yet it WILL NOT affect actual game play and three people already who think it could be a blast. I just pictured buying an after battle emot so when all the captains are standing there after the battle Mine Does the Cabbage Patch or stanky leg. Lets Have fun with it then people will probably spend more for the game if they feel it adds to the game and is not a requirement of playing.

Rule #3 See Rules 1-2.

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:39 a.m.

All I can think of now is plasma ramming someone to death for the last kill, my captain screeching "GET ME CLOSER! I WANT TO HIT IT WITH MY SWORD!" and then, as their ship falls to rubble and the mission is concluded, my captain sitting there in the debriefing doing the CABBAGE PATCH. These are honestly splendid ideas and would be hecka easy to implement- just record a bunch of voice lines and make a few animations for bad dance moves and/or exaggerated heroic poses. Though I'd understand if they didn't want to make it too cartooney, I'd go all the way for that sword-scream/cabbage patch combo.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.