FORUMS

How can we help this game make money without feeling used?

Posted: //
Jan. 26, 2017, 6:28 p.m.

They were on a good track with pre-2.0. I figured they'd sell the original ships for $10-20. Then release a new ship package for $20 every month or two. I'd spend $40 to $80 per year just on new ships, not counting custom geometry releases which I also want.

For me, one monetization problem with 2.0 is that it's tied to how much I play. I have the founder's pack and converted some gp to credits, but I don't play enough to go through those credits quickly. So I'm sitting on gp. Selling custom geometry that players could mix and match was genius. If they were still doing that I'd probably have spent another $50 already.

Jan. 26, 2017, 10:12 p.m.

This game is pretty much League of Legends, with capital ships, you should SERIUSLY consider making purely cosmetic options for the ships that cost several dollars. That is the purest and most acceptable form of monetization. It's also big money in games like Counterstrike which is a FPS with people not ships =)

Whether its entire reskins, the look and color of all your guns or missile trails or cool color schemes and even A large selection of Logo or Flag overlays that you can place across your ship at different angles and sizes. Players pay big money just to cool nicely colored daggers in counterstrike.

Like LoL you can perhaps pay more to progress faster but the like LoL the progression is something you "max out" very early and there is no way to pay for advantage in game. No "Special Ships" or abilities that cost money. that immediately drops your game into the "not serious" category. Its 2017, paywalls don't work anymore.

Jan. 27, 2017, 12:07 a.m.

Besides having just random match making teams, another which has MMR based teams and then ranked matches. Why not have gold entry with gold rewards for where you finished and how many entered. Then there could be team wide boosts for silver or xp gains with a maintenance costs. This boost would be in addition to Elite status and all members of the group can contribute to the cost.

Jan. 27, 2017, 12:29 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 27, 2017, 12:30 a.m.

I think another quick way to monetise would be to make any ship buyable with GP, not just hero ships.
ONE CURRENT GRIPE:
As it stands with Hero ships, after playing with them for a bit, it's a bit carp that not only do you have to pay real money to buy them (this part is fine) but you also then have to pay real money to release the XP from them that goes nowhere into the research tree. It's a monetisation double dip, and I'm actually a little annoyed with it.

I'm totally ok with spending money to get something. I'm not ok with having to then pay MORE money on an ongoing basis for the thing I bought.

Make the hero ships xp go straight to the free xp pool or something, even if it's at a reduced rate (like half XP earned is lost, the rest goes straight to free XP)

As it stands, as much as I want to like and support them, the hero ships ARE a rip off. And I don't say that lightly. They are ONLY value for money if you've entirely unlocked the entire research tree and have nothing to research.

Work Buy Consume Die

Jan. 27, 2017, 12:32 a.m.

I mentioned something similar on Discord a few days ago. Someone mentioned that this has been noted by the devs and they are looking at changing how the xp on bought ships will work in the future. Though this is second hand information, so don't hold me or the devs to it.

Jan. 27, 2017, 12:34 a.m.

Yeah, I don't believe anything is set in stone with the Devs. They're testing and tweaking what works and what doesn't. It's always worth adding feedback, positive or negative.

Work Buy Consume Die

Jan. 27, 2017, 2:03 a.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-98977)

All proposals I see are rather short time, while the progression lasts, what about long term, how do you get people to pay for the next 15 years (my guess for the planned longest lifetime of the game)?

See my first post in the thread which addresses long-term progression (with potential for infinite scaling as long as the devs work on new content to grind towards), solves the problem progression 2.0 introduced where you can't have multiple loadouts for a single ship, and avoids maintenance.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Jan. 27, 2017, 7:49 a.m.

Nurgle84#5332 posted (#post-98949)

Maybe a radical idea, but how about allowing players to trade gold coins for silver coins between each other. hides from the mob no really, read my example.

Little Miss Sunshine#7845 posted (#post-98954)

If they had a fixed trading system in place (like all trades are locked at X credits/gold or something) you wouldn't need to worry about scams/mistypes, either. That's a pretty good idea imo.

Coming very soon.

Freder#2825 posted (#post-98955)
How about premium emots or broadcast for battle I'd pay extra to hear my captain yell something at the enemy or just extra expressions.

Something like this is on our 2017 road map, but only planned for development rather late during the year, so I'm gonna have to ask you to hang tight for a while longer on this one... Also, since the system hasn't been designed yet, I can't tell you much more about it at this point, unfortunately. Will definitely make sure to keep you posted, though!

obliviondoll#5677 posted (#post-99054)
[...] the problem progression 2.0 introduced where you can't have multiple loadouts for a single ship, and avoids maintenance.

We do have this issue on our radar as well, although discussions about this are still ongoing. It will probably become a major topic again very soon, in light of a new game mode that we have in the pipeline, which will focus more on tactical objective-based gameplay than the current player-facing modes. No fixed schedule for this yet, though, but we're putting some major resources on it starting next week. And it's been sitting around here as a prototype for quite a while, so expect some updates soon... ;-)

Technical Artist

Jan. 27, 2017, 8:19 a.m.

Freder#2825 posted (#post-98955)
How about premium emots or broadcast for battle I'd pay extra to hear my captain yell something at the enemy or just extra expressions.

Something like this is on our 2017 road map, but only planned for development rather late during the year, so I'm gonna have to ask you to hang tight for a while longer on this one... Also, since the system hasn't been designed yet, I can't tell you much more about it at this point, unfortunately. Will definitely make sure to keep you posted, though!

Sweet I can already hear the one liners smile

Grim Draken#5500 posted (#post-99047)

I think another quick way to monetize would be to make any ship buyable with GP, not just hero ships.
ONE CURRENT GRIPE:
As it stands with Hero ships, after playing with them for a bit, it's a bit carp that not only do you have to pay real money to buy them (this part is fine) but you also then have to pay real money to release the XP from them that goes nowhere into the research tree. It's a monetizetion double dip, and I'm actually a little annoyed with it.

I'm totally ok with spending money to get something. I'm not ok with having to then pay MORE money on an ongoing basis for the thing I bought.

Make the hero ships xp go straight to the free xp pool or something, even if it's at a reduced rate (like half XP earned is lost, the rest goes straight to free XP)

As it stands, as much as I want to like and support them, the hero ships ARE a rip off. And I don't say that lightly. They are ONLY value for money if you've entirely unlocked the entire research tree and have nothing to research.

Actually as much as I want to stay positive this has been irritating me also where it stands now I hate playing my hero ships and it shouldn't be that way. Why do I hate them because while I can play with them I don't xp I can run a non-hero ship and adjust load-out. I Can't think of anything you would use a hero ship for that a normal ship wouldn't be better for including Free XP (I have better battles when I control my load out so earn more xp) I know trying to keep it positive but had to add my 2 cents when I saw Grim Draken's post.

Rule #1 There is an exception to every rule.
Rule #2 Anything is possible it is just a matter of probable.
Rule #3 See Rules 1-2.

Jan. 27, 2017, 9:08 a.m.

The normal solution to the premium vehicle problem is to increase their credit gain- the thing with XP (in the game's current state) is that it is able to be acquired MUCH faster than credits, even without maintenance. I think that the credit gain on hero ships should be the priority, as that makes it seem more unique and worthwhile. After all, you can convert to free XP from any ship you've researched. Another option I can think of as a hero-ship exclusive is to have the OPTION to convert all XP gained to free XP at a reduced rate, as was stated earlier. Doing that, one could choose between some gold investment for a 100% return on XP or a free option which would only give ~10-25% (that seems like a pretty pretty reasonable range to me but no doubt the devs know better than me on that issue).

Also, thank you very much Rachsucht for the update! Great to know that some of these ideas were already in development/planned for the future!

Make The Forums Great Again!

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.