FORUMS

How can we help this game make money without feeling used?

Posted: //
Jan. 28, 2017, 1:43 p.m.

Voice of a ghost here. Been gone awhile. Dreadnought still pulls on my heartstrings from time to time.

I've always felt they should have taken the Overwatch approach. All the way up to even charging for the base game. Like $30 or so. That said I can see how maybe a game like this needed the most exposure. IE free.

That doesn't change my mind that tiers were a terrible mistake. It actually takes away from the uniqueness in a way. As now the ships feel a tad watered down? Is a Svarog all that special when there are 4 clones? I use to feel that they were when it was a single ship I outfitted. I made it MY Svarog. The reason I bring this up is not to beat a dead horse but it ties into my Overwatch comparison.

Loot boxes. That's the grind. It works for OW. Think about it. Their heroes never change outside of balancing. They didn't need 4 variants of Mei. She has her role and players choose her when they need or want to be her. They make her their own by choosing her skin. Such a simple setup and it worked so well.

Dreadnaught has even more advantages to this system. With weapons customization and modules. The loot boxes would hold, skins, decals, captain gear and such with different rarities. Even put in duplicates like OW. So over time you slowly earn the GP to buy the specific thing you want if your luck proves absolutely horrible. The super legendary wins being hero cosmetics.

That's right in my system Hero ships would be nothing more than cosmetic. No specific bonuses or weird ship that's locked to certain loadouts.

Going back to why I think this system works... is it makes each 15 ships very special (easier to balance as well and less community splits). It also makes the addition down the road of even a single ship incredibly special. It'll shake up the whole meta. The tier system dilutes that a bit. Not to mention the grumbles of a higher tier advantages over lower ones.

Back to loot boxes. Of course you allow buying them in bundles. For those that don't want to wait for the grind. Even if they buy 20 boxes and get a bad roll the duplicates at least slowly gain them progress to outright buy the thing they want eventually. So it doesn't feel like a total rip off.

I know I was originally totally onboard with buying cosmetics or working really hard for them in the original alpha settings. It's what made me buy the $40 founders. I wanted those ships! Especially since I was able to mix and match parts. Now with the new system... well as I said at the beginning. I don't even play anymore.

I still watch this game. I hope they find something that works for everyone.

Jan. 29, 2017, 4:40 a.m.

Adavanter#2016 posted (#post-99234)

snip

I can confirm, this is the voice of a ghost here.

That aside, I agree and thoroughly enjoy Adavanter's monetization system and it should be implemented instead of this Tiers garbage.

However, on the side of 6ft and Yager not doing the $30 or so buy in, it would make sense to have the boxes or the contents of the boxes purchasable or at least a premium currency to unlock the cosmetic goodies that are contained in the boxes.

'Member when SixFoot tried to justify making Dreadnought P2W? I Do! No seriously I 'member! Also 'member "The Article"? I 'member!
SixFoot, a very accurate company name. They only bury their games Six Feet under.

Jan. 29, 2017, 5:29 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 29, 2017, 5:30 a.m.

1. Allow players to earn premium currency slowly - or only through "duplicate" items dropping.
  2. Allow loot crates to be earned through in-game progress, or bought with a fairly generous amount of premium currency.
  3. Allow items to be bought directly without the gambling by spending large amounts of premium currency.
  4. Allow players to buy premium currency, or to spend real money directly on certain bundles of content, which cost less than the equivalent amount of premium currency required to purchase the items.

All seems plausible to me, and could be worked into a multitude of other progression systems as a way to monetise cosmetics. Could also be incorporated to some degree into a non-cosmetic progression system, although it would need to be more supportive of player-driven progression in order to be a good model there.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Jan. 29, 2017, 8:34 a.m.

Being able to earn gold is always nice, even if only in small amounts. That's one reason I stuck around in tanks- through events I could make enough gold to buy some skins here and there or be able to retrain a couple crew members once in a while. Once I started doing tournaments I was able to buy entire premium tanks (though I do think tourney payout was a bit excessive. In one go of a non-broadcast tourney we made ~$200 of ingame content, somehow. Per player on a team of 6). I also think it encourages some players to buy gold, once they have a small taste of how nice those benefits are but don't have enough to do a lot with what they get for free.

Make The Forums Great Again!

Jan. 31, 2017, 5:51 p.m.

After doing the math on GP to Silver XP conversion. If it was changed to 200 up from 40, it would encourage people to spend money.
T3-T4 ~XP 100,000
Current cost $20
New cost $5

T4-T5 ~XP 300,000
Current cost ~$60
New cost ~$15

T5 Maxed out ~775,000
Current Cost ~$90
New Cost ~$$30

Now before you go off complaining about this. PLEASE, keep in mind that first you need to have collected over a million XP to convert, which is a lot of work. Then dont forget that this will only get you ONE ship. So for a full cost of about $60, you could skip to a full setup Tier 5. For one ship. In current cost, that would be $170... no one is going to want to spend that. There is an old method in sales where you need to remember a price point where more people spend money VS a very high cost only a tiny pool of people spend. You might not make as much of the single sales but you will make a lot more, which means more income.

Jan. 31, 2017, 6:27 p.m.

There's an Essay to write about this Topic, and frankly, there are! Multiple studies have been made on the subject, but here are my two Cents, just so I can yell "I told you so!" at the end.

Dreadnoughts biggest Problem in this Department is that spending Money for it feels just awful. What do I get for my Money?

• A monthly payment just so I can Play normally with my better ships? (A hellishly saturated market you want to enter there fyi.)

• Handing over real Money to convert to exp just so I can Research some modules and minor module stat Upgrades, which I will have to unlock AND buy again on the next Tier?

• You want five Dollars for a plain pink paintjob?

• fourty Dollars for a single ship? (Trident)

No. just no. There are too many goshdarn monetisation mechanics in your game. You want to impede Progression to a Point where elite Status becomes necessary to Play AND you want People to Hand over Money to skip the rest of the grind AND you demand absurd Prices for cosmetic items.
No.

Do you have any clue what it means to make a customer REGRET his purchase? You won't see another Cent from him.

Look at other successful games with better monetisation Options:
Dota 2: All heroes are free but tons of cosmetics available for your hero, your Courier, your statues at home. Taunts and voicelines, announcers and hud Options and god knows what else to enhance and customise your personal experience. And there's even that shtick with the compendium, betting on wins and stuff. It's brilliant.

Another one:
Smite. Buy it once, get all future gods for free. Again, cool Skins, tons of cosmetics and other stuff to buy, seasonal Events etc. Shoved over my Money in a heartbeat.

ALSO FFS:

Definition of retar.d
transitive verb
:  to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment :  impede
intransitive verb
:  to undergo Retardation

It describes Prog2.0 perfectly, don't ban that word.

"Don't worry captains! We've heard your feedback and are steering away from the giant storm we were heading towards!"
-"HUZZAH!"
"Instead we're aiming for these jagged rock formations over there!"
(<_<" )

Jan. 31, 2017, 6:45 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 31, 2017, 6:49 p.m.

Dropping the costs as detailed above is absurd. The values of the packs are not assigned based on how greedy the developers are.

A lot of work goes into the products and they need to pay wages, maintain servers and so on.

I believe it was SOE who revealed that only a tiny proportion of players make a single purchase with money and a small group of them make repeated purchases.
You might think hundreds more people will buy a product because it costs £5 instead of £20 or £20 instead of £80 but people who don't spend money often do it because they choose not to not because they don't want to pay so much.

Those who want to pay small amounts or can only afford small amounts have options available.

To then have someone suggest premium currency is earned over time slowly is absurd. Especially considering they also want to be able to buy specific items and remove the need for chance. What you are asking for is items for free over time instead of paying.

You already get access to the game and its many maps, ships and game modes. Now you want to be able to get free items which is the only continued source of income for the development teams and even then it's not guaranteed.

Daily login rewards are a great way to reward players who do not pay for goods, they can contain extra currency or free xp that does not need to be converted.

This prevents players from stockpiling free currency handouts to buy goods otherwise people would have to pay for.

Furthermore getting a player to login on a daily basis is a massive step to getting a single purchase out of them and this helps here.

Jan. 31, 2017, 7:21 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 31, 2017, 7:23 p.m.

ItsGary#1520 posted (#post-100186)

Dropping the costs as detailed above is absurd. The values of the packs are not assigned based on how greedy the developers are.

A lot of work goes into the products and they need to pay wages, maintain servers and so on.

I believe it was SOE who revealed that only a tiny proportion of players make a single purchase with money and a small group of them make repeated purchases.
You might think hundreds more people will buy a product because it costs £5 instead of £20 or £20 instead of £80 but people who don't spend money often do it because they choose not to not because they don't want to pay so much.

Those who want to pay small amounts or can only afford small amounts have options available.

To then have someone suggest premium currency is earned over time slowly is absurd. Especially considering they also want to be able to buy specific items and remove the need for chance. What you are asking for is items for free over time instead of paying.

You already get access to the game and its many maps, ships and game modes. Now you want to be able to get free items which is the only continued source of income for the development teams and even then it's not guaranteed.

Daily login rewards are a great way to reward players who do not pay for goods, they can contain extra currency or free xp that does not need to be converted.

This prevents players from stockpiling free currency handouts to buy goods otherwise people would have to pay for.

Furthermore getting a player to login on a daily basis is a massive step to getting a single purchase out of them and this helps here.

It is better to quote then just say, above. Are you referring to my suggestion or the person below me? My concept is just for XP conversation and nothing more. The concept also disregards all other suggestions and is purely based on the current model.
Edit: Auto correct being stupid. Fixed mistakes

Jan. 31, 2017, 7:28 p.m.

Merdoc#1195 posted (#post-100185)

There's an Essay to write about this Topic, and frankly, there are! Multiple studies have been made on the subject, but here are my two Cents, just so I can yell "I told you so!" at the end.

Dreadnoughts biggest Problem in this Department is that spending Money for it feels just awful. What do I get for my Money?

• A monthly payment just so I can Play normally with my better ships? (A hellishly saturated market you want to enter there fyi.)

• Handing over real Money to convert to exp just so I can Research some modules and minor module stat Upgrades, which I will have to unlock AND buy again on the next Tier?

• You want five Dollars for a plain pink paintjob?

• fourty Dollars for a single ship? (Trident)

No. just no. There are too many goshdarn monetisation mechanics in your game. You want to impede Progression to a Point where elite Status becomes necessary to Play AND you want People to Hand over Money to skip the rest of the grind AND you demand absurd Prices for cosmetic items.
No.

Do you have any clue what it means to make a customer REGRET his purchase? You won't see another Cent from him.

Look at other successful games with better monetisation Options:
Dota 2: All heroes are free but tons of cosmetics available for your hero, your Courier, your statues at home. Taunts and voicelines, announcers and hud Options and god knows what else to enhance and customise your personal experience. And there's even that shtick with the compendium, betting on wins and stuff. It's brilliant.

Another one:
Smite. Buy it once, get all future gods for free. Again, cool Skins, tons of cosmetics and other stuff to buy, seasonal Events etc. Shoved over my Money in a heartbeat.

ALSO FFS:

Definition of retar.d
transitive verb
:  to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment :  impede
intransitive verb
:  to undergo Retardation

It describes Prog2.0 perfectly, don't ban that word.

I'm all for raising issues you are not happy with but slamming the current model which is a work in progress, it's not very constructive. Maybe offering suggestions on what you feel is more fitting concept would be of more use. If you dont like it, you don't have to spend the money. If you dont think playing at this point is worth your time, you don't have to play. If you want to let us know what would make you want to play, well that might help guide the direction. There is feedback and then there is criticism.

Feb. 2, 2017, 6:42 p.m.

My son had a suggestion for resolving the maintenance issue. I'll add my two cents.

All tier 3 and above pay maintenance, except Elite.

Winners (not Elite) pay a portion equal to part of the winners bonus.

Losers (not Elite) pay a bit more, but less than half of their winnings, and less than twice what winners pay.

Effectively, Elite have a prepaid maintenance plan, plus the other benefits they now receive.

Sell Elite for current selections, plus $24.99 for 90 days and $44.99 for 180 days.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.