FORUMS

Being pulled into a higher tier match.

Posted: //
Jan. 28, 2017, 12:20 a.m.

I admit to being very much a noob. Never having gamed before, I don't have the muscle memory borrowed from other games that lets me move my ships around easily, and my older body will make creating that muscle memory more difficult.

That leaves me particularly sensitive to the consequences of being pulled into a veteran match when I tried to enter a recruit match. I know that I'm little more than cannon fodder, and my scores usually prove it, but what chance do I have against tier 3 and 4 ships (much less the skills of the Captains who've ground to that point).

What I suggest is a temporary upshift in abilities for such people. I'm not talking about letting them be equal to tier 3 ships that people have worked hard to get, but to temporarily (for that match only) raise their health, damage resistance and weapon effectiveness, to let them gain experience and die a little less often. Maybe half way to tier 3 for tier 2 ships and tier 2 upshift for tier 1 ships?

I think people are interested in the match play itself and challenging themselves to improve. Little chance of that when you die almost as soon as you spawn. Great discouragement and fewer players (and opportunities to make money) that way.

Please think about it.

Jan. 28, 2017, 12:28 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 28, 2017, 12:29 a.m.

layinout#5947 posted (#post-99166)

I admit to being very much a noob. Never having gamed before, I don't have the muscle memory borrowed from other games that lets me move my ships around easily, and my older body will make creating that muscle memory more difficult.

That leaves me particularly sensitive to the consequences of being pulled into a veteran match when I tried to enter a recruit match. I know that I'm little more than cannon fodder, and my scores usually prove it, but what chance do I have against tier 3 and 4 ships (much less the skills of the Captains who've ground to that point).

What I suggest is a temporary upshift in abilities for such people. I'm not talking about letting them be equal to tier 3 ships that people have worked hard to get, but to temporarily (for that match only) raise their health, damage resistance and weapon effectiveness, to let them gain experience and die a little less often. Maybe half way to tier 3 for tier 2 ships and tier 2 upshift for tier 1 ships?

I think people are interested in the match play itself and challenging themselves to improve. Little chance of that when you die almost as soon as you spawn. Great discouragement and fewer players (and opportunities to make money) that way.

Please think about it.

Let them concentrate on things that actually need done. It takes a hour to get a Tier 3 ship on a new account. I was already on my tier 4 the very 1st day after wipe.

-----Tier 5 Ohkta Pilot-----Tier 5 Invictus Pilot-----Tier 5 Athos Pilot-----
-------------------------Fully Researched Tier 4 Fleet------------------------
-------------------What the @#$% are you talking about?----------------

Jan. 28, 2017, 4:26 a.m.

Quayjay#4843 posted (#post-99168)

layinout#5947 posted (#post-99166)

Please think about it.

Let them concentrate on things that actually need done. It takes a hour to get a Tier 3 ship on a new account. I was already on my tier 4 the very 1st day after wipe.

Me and my friend are playing for days and days and we just got into tier 3. However, two of my friends just stopped playing for sole reason, they were put with their tier 1 and tier 2 ships into tier 3-4 matches. It was frustrating experience, so they stopped playing and wont come back anytime soon.

So, i think this is fairly hot issue with their game.

Jan. 28, 2017, 9:30 a.m.

due to close beta which lead to limited population that why T2 were mix with T3 and T4 to reduce matchmaking time, I think problem will be lessen once it go open beta. and If that T2 leave the match, the new one that re-join will be T1....which I really hate the leaver. (most of them will leave if their team are disadvantage like have a few T4 or no T4 but will continue to play if they are advantage.)

But for now, you need to be patience and play around 3-4 hour to get your first T3 then it should be better a bit.
as mod said, dreadnought is not for everyone to play so I can't blame anyone who feel discourage to play but T3 did not need that much time to earn.

Even I have lorica and vigo , I still play T2 ship in recruit to farm credit until now...so T2 fight T4 is kind of happen everyday.

Jan. 28, 2017, 7:12 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 28, 2017, 7:14 p.m.

I figure even cannon fodder gets some experience. The conditional subroutine to do something like that shouldn't be too big.

If recruit is forced in (not chooses in), multiply life by X and weapons abilities by Y. A couple of lines to identify the condition, and then some lines to adjust available weapons and abilities for that ship, during matchmaking and re-spawning. Set a flag and then check for it. Should easily hide in those subroutines and will usually be skipped. Biggest problem will be finding a location in the data set to put a flag. Oh, and reset flag at endgame.

My concern is the players. How many would not leave the match if they thought they might have half a chance?

How many will be less discouraged and thus continue on with the game, and buy stuff?

I recently played my first games in veterans with tier 3 ships. Worlds of difference.

If the routine is unnecessary after release launch, pull it, or leave it. No one would notice the difference.

Jan. 29, 2017, 7:36 p.m.

There are two possible reasons for this.

1. The matchmaking is just bad.

2. There are not enough players for matchmaking to really do its thing so it finds the first available game that could work. Lack of players comes from two things. Lack of publicity going out & lack of beta keys going out. Lack of beta keys can be accounted to the founder packs and Greybox wanting people to buy in instead.

Jan. 29, 2017, 9:37 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 29, 2017, 9:37 p.m.

Veteran Fleet shouldn't be T2 - T4. Only T3 - T4.

Tech 2 Ships have a hard time beating a Tech 3 ships, requires a lot of skill. Beating a Tech 4 ship is pretty impossible. You're getting slaughtered by their way more increased fire rate and damage.

That they mixed up Recruit fleets with Veterans fleets to keep waiting times low may looks good in first place, but it isn't. Like others posted before: Getting killed/slaugthered all the time, even if you still get experience and credits, causes a lack of fun, making you leave the game and don't game back any time soon.

leading to less people, leading to even longer waiting times.

It doesn't take long for T1 and T2 Pilots to get their first Tech 3 ship. So don't match them with higher tiers, let them gather experience, have some fun, and as soon as they unlocked thier T3 ship, queue will get faster and faster in no time with every player reaching Tech 3 state.

But it the moment, it sucks a little bit. 70% of the time i get mixed up with Veteran fleets.

I'm a healer. Healer's life is pretty easy in T1 and T2. Because people are unskilled and fire at everything that moves. But on T3+ player have learned to target priority targets like healers. So if you, as a Tech 2 Pilot, getting mixed up with other Recruits in a Veteran fleet, you getting hunted by Tech 3 and 4 ships while your Teammates still don't know what to do (protect me for example). Ain't no fun at all.

Jan. 30, 2017, 4:37 a.m.

Yeah, it's easy for me to say, "hey just stick with it", but only after using higher tier ships and having some wins under my belt to feel good about myself can I NOW accept the occasional matchmaker hiccup. Brand new people in that boat I have to empathise with.

Work Buy Consume Die

Jan. 30, 2017, 5:28 p.m.

I really think that a balancing mechanism would not be that hard to implement. I've done some coding in the past.

Some if/then and/or some while statements (or whatever the complements are in the language they use) to up one's life and weapons for that match, would help balance the matches. It's bad enough that you are still somewhat inexperienced, but to be running around the battlefield in a jeep while you're fighting tanks is no fun, especially when they are just as fast as you are.

The next problem I see is when more advanced players take advantage of the noobs when they play down with their tier 2 ships, to farm experience points. If the noobs don't have a decent experience, they will leave for something else. That will mean either the more experienced players have to financially make up the difference, or the game makers may fold.

Feb. 2, 2017, 6:58 p.m.

They won't change the balancing. It's exactly what they want:

T4 Paygamer killing T2 Noobs.
Noobs want to be as cool as the T4 Paygamer
Noobs buying Credits and XP and Ships for real Money.
Noobs are now T4 Paygamer.
T4 Paygamer killing T2 Noobs.

The Devs don't want a "fair" or "cool" game. They want to earn money. That's all.

And since it will take a few months until a non paygamer will earn enough credits for a T4 Ship, most people will leave the game. And Greybox can just hope they allready have earned enough money before the game is dead.

Then they will release something else. Not a game, no, just something to earn money. It's all that counts today.

The funny fact: If they would just create a cool, fair and awesome game, tons of player would play it, and they would earn a lot of money, too.

Don't ask me why they don't recognize that.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.