FORUMS

Buggy Energy Wheel

Posted: //
Jan. 28, 2017, 8:12 a.m.

One thing that always makes me go nuts is this god dang energy wheel.
It worked a few months ago, I think it started when the new Progression system came.
It just often selects the completely wrong thing ... Even the For Honor beta works better than what DN has now ^^

Just wanted to point that out. I'm constantly raging because of this, and don't tell me to use the F1-F4 keys smile
PS:
Stop the censorship. Why is the word -da mn- flagged on the forums. The playerbase of Dreadnought is a lot older (I think), we should be able to handle that.

Blue Vengeance - Deutscher Multigaming Casual Clan

Jan. 28, 2017, 9:09 a.m.

Hey Kazma,

thanks for reporting this - We would need some clarification though:
What do you intend to select vs. what is selected?
Is it a specific ship/situation?
Anything that helps us to nail down the issue you might be experiencing.

thanks

phil

Jan. 28, 2017, 9:23 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 28, 2017, 11:04 a.m.

I know that when I'm trying to select something in a hurry on the wheel, it often doesn't work. It's hard to tell what the exact issue there is, but either the wheel requires too much time to open up/become responsive, or it requires that you move the mouse too much to activate the desired function. Usually, it happens when I'm trying to shield (the most important to activate in a hurry, most of the time). Basically, if the wheel were more responsive when used for just a second, that would have saved my neck more than a few times.

Update- I've noticed this issue with the communication wheel as well (normally when I'm trying to ping corvettes for destruction or ask for healing).

Also, a smaller issue, the indicator for energy consumption (whether weapons, shield, or thrust; I think it's usually thrust) doesn't always line up correctly. Sometimes when I'm speed boosting, power is dropping normally but there's no speed boost indicator. Other times, the indicator will be lit up but no effect/energy consumption is actually active.

Finally, scrambler status effect disables energy wheel use (not sure if that's intended, though).

I personally can't recall the described bug, with the wrong selection being made. These are the only energy-wheel related bugs I know of.

Make The Forums Great Again!

Jan. 28, 2017, 9:51 a.m.

DN_PHL#3657 posted (#post-99202)

Hey Kazma,

thanks for reporting this - We would need some clarification though:
What do you intend to select vs. what is selected?
Is it a specific ship/situation?
Anything that helps us to nail down the issue you might be experiencing.

thanks

phil

I tested a little bit in a training match.
I usually have issues with the wheel when switching to Thrust. It seems like the angles are a little to narrow, especially when comparing my mouse movement with the graphic that the Energy Wheel is showing me.
I often end up selecting Shield or Weapon instead of Thrust

Blue Vengeance - Deutscher Multigaming Casual Clan

Jan. 28, 2017, noon

Updated //
Jan. 28, 2017, 12:01 p.m.

Cool, thanks!
It sounds like the sensitivity or angle-thresholds etc. are tuned in a way that make them harder to activate when used quickly.
Would be nice to find out how many players feel the same.

As we would need to find the right tuning that is best for the majority, e.g. if we make the sensitivity lower for (weapon, shield, thrust), it might be harder to turn the Energy OFF.

Jan. 28, 2017, 12:04 p.m.

Maybe make a sensitivity option for the energy wheel? Different people may like it different.

Make The Forums Great Again!

Jan. 28, 2017, 12:12 p.m.

Little Miss Sunshine#7845 posted (#post-99222)

Maybe make a sensitivity option for the energy wheel? Different people may like it different.

Making it an option is always the last resort of design smile

We should see how far we get with more precise tuning/ruleset.

I'll suggest it in our improvement-process asap, then we can take a closer look.

Jan. 28, 2017, 12:53 p.m.

When I pess E to deactivate the energy usage then the energy switches to the weapons and drains completely, so dam annoying :/

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

Jan. 28, 2017, 1:42 p.m.

DN_PHL#3657 posted (#post-99220)

Cool, thanks!
It sounds like the sensitivity or angle-thresholds etc. are tuned in a way that make them harder to activate when used quickly.
Would be nice to find out how many players feel the same.

As we would need to find the right tuning that is best for the majority, e.g. if we make the sensitivity lower for (weapon, shield, thrust), it might be harder to turn the Energy OFF.
Its a huge problem over on my side. Most common when I'm trying to turn the energy usage off. It almost always selects weapons. And by the time I react, my energy is all gone.

I wish I could double tap E to turn energy off

alt text

DN_cult#1584 posted (#post-101857) Currently in discussion / design: · ̶W̶a̶i̶f̶u̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s

Jan. 28, 2017, 9:42 p.m.

I have to admit, I'm going to have to start muscle memory training the F1-F4 buttons, due to the amount of false choices I pick in the heat of battle with the energy wheel. I've died a couple of times from picking weapons when I wanted shields.

Work Buy Consume Die

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.