FORUMS

Dreadnoughts lack of appeal in the outpost and out of combat could be its potential downfall.

Posted: //
Jan. 28, 2017, 10:28 a.m.

Dreadnought without a doubt has a very appealing combat scenario, i mean isn't that why most of us even want to play it to begin with, spaceship combat! However over time, this draw for players will weaken since well there is a lack of appeal in all other aspects of the game.

The 2 biggest issues are connection and maintenance of spaceships. However in my opinion even if these two issues are tackled successfully, the developers might have spent too much time and resources solving these, that the community would be burnout from having faced this issues, that there won't be many players left to play the game after. Effectively destroying the game, one such game is HAWKEN [ https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2vdh69/what_happened_to_hawken/ for more info]

I don't wish for Dreadnought to experience such a unfortunate fate, and so I implore the developers that if time is taken to solve issues and make improvements, it is best to also improve the lacking aspects that dreadnought provides which is outpost and out of combat interactions. This is something also extremely lacking for HAWKEN and severely reduced the enjoyment of the game to endless grindfest matches, which is what dreadnought is for the time being.

This includes having interesting contracts [WIP suggestion : Manufacturer contracts] that pull in lore and player engagement, having elite status work differently too [WIP suggestion: Stakeholder/VIP sponsorship] and even PVE missions.

These days for games to succeed in my opinion, even for instance games like LOL, World of tanks, etc etc, they don't just depend on combat alone, but interesting out of combat options like rune assignments, daily and event missions, etc etc. In the past relying on one selling point could make it a blockbuster, but as gamers get more and more diverse with an ever growing population of games, it is games that can provide a large variety of activities in and out of game will eventually win, that is to say is relevant to the game itself.

In short as much as Dreadnought solves its issue around the clock, they need other additions to make the game continuously appealing, and resting on any laurels, players or developers would only serve to ruin the game ultimately. Thank you.

Lover of ideas, ideas forever, forever and whenever, for all to hear!

Jan. 28, 2017, 11:02 a.m.

• They took too long to release new content/fix old errors. Even something as simple as a hotfix for a widespread bug would take 2 weeks, if not more. Patches were often 3-4 months apart. On open beta release, they had 4 game modes. 1.5 years later, all they added was two co-op player vs. AI modes

This factor makes me nervous and soon i'll go away, because they can not waste 2/3/4 weeks for a couple of fixes.

Forged in Apulia.

Jan. 28, 2017, 11:02 a.m.

The game still is in closed beta, and right now working out the kinks in Progression 2.0 is their priority and may be for a little while. I do hope the devs are formulating ideas for things like this but it may be a little while before those become a priority. Gameplay, while not everything, comes first, and second to that is progression. Once those have been tuned to the devs' satisfaction then no doubt features like this will come along.

Make The Forums Great Again!

Jan. 28, 2017, 11:11 a.m.

This game reminded me so much of Hawken, I really hope they don't end up like that ..

Blue Vengeance - Deutscher Multigaming Casual Clan

Jan. 28, 2017, 11:24 a.m.

Little Miss Sunshine#7845 posted (#post-99211)

The game still is in closed beta, and right now working out the kinks in Progression 2.0 is their priority and may be for a little while. I do hope the devs are formulating ideas for things like this but it may be a little while before those become a priority. Gameplay, while not everything, comes first, and second to that is progression. Once those have been tuned to the devs' satisfaction then no doubt features like this will come along.

From my opinion their gameplay is almost polished, mostly balances and bugs and maybe some additions for ships, progression is a messy thing to solve and it would take them alot of man hours if they want to perfect it. Despite the outcome or however much of a priority these issues are, we mustn't forget what keeps a game interesting and still draw in the crowd. That is Appeal.

And when it comes down to it, if developers leave out the appeal from the cycle they will meet a vicious cycle, which starts with the issues of lack of player population -> reduced player spending -> less revenue -> less working resources -> less content and appeal -> lack of player population, etc etc.

I don't mean to sound very abrasive, but once this cycle starts then we would see another hawken replica in terms of its downfall, and the DN developers hence should take measures to ensure player appeal is achieved, even if it isn't out of combat. However out of combat appeal is the easiest and fastest to implement as well as the most lacking, so it is really one of the best outlets for them to exit or prevent the cycle from happening in my honest opinion.

Jan. 28, 2017, 11:52 a.m.

What I'm saying is that before they can devote a large portion of manpower to those kinds of features, they need to first smooth out Progression 2.0. I think the angst being caused by that is causing more people to leave than a lack of other enticing stuff; it should be priority one. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, though. All that being said I don't speak for the devs. I don't know their plans.

Make The Forums Great Again!

Jan. 28, 2017, 12:02 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 28, 2017, 12:03 p.m.

Little Miss Sunshine#7845 posted (#post-99219)

What I'm saying is that before they can devote a large portion of manpower to those kinds of features, they need to first smooth out Progression 2.0. I think the angst being caused by that is causing more people to leave than a lack of other enticing stuff; it should be priority one. Hopefully it doesn't take too long, though. All that being said I don't speak for the devs. I don't know their plans.

Though angst is also caused by a lack of patience. This is due to how long progression 2.0 takes to be smoothed out and honestly, even games like World of tanks, Warframe, Hawken, etc etc continuously engage, improve and polish their progression system regulary, while introducing new content, to me highlights that a good allocation of priorities is needed to avoid negligence of the rest of the game.

Angst also comes from what players feel is a lack of presence and attention to the game, hence allocating resources into other aspects might actually promote that and reduce the angst as seen now. By retain more players through reducing angst, the developers can foresee increases in income and hence more available resources to allocate to the improvements of progression 2.0 which would happen even faster.

Jan. 28, 2017, 9:14 p.m.

Progression 2.0 literally showed up in November last year. Many of the changes to try and "fix" it have made things worse instead of better.

So yeah, lack of patience is getting to be quite a problem with the playerbase - I'm pretty sure it's with good reason though.

Funnily enough, the recent upsurge in dev comments has actually helped alleviate the problem somewhat.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Jan. 30, 2017, 4:48 a.m.

While working out progression 2.0 is indeed priority 1 over here, we have a lot of people that are not much involved with that at all (we're far too many people working on DN for all of us to be working on the same thing). Some very cool stuff is incoming! smile

Lead Level Designer at YAGER

Jan. 30, 2017, 6:53 a.m.

DN_Daze#8087 posted (#post-99680)

While working out progression 2.0 is indeed priority 1 over here, we have a lot of people that are not much involved with that at all (we're far too many people working on DN for all of us to be working on the same thing). Some very cool stuff is incoming! smile

That is nice to know, thank you for the response.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.