FORUMS

New Player seeking all around advice on weight classes and damage potential

Posted: //
Jan. 29, 2017, 9:44 a.m.

Hello everybody, I've just gotten into the game a few days ago and I'm about to breach into T3 with my first ship (I was looking at the Jupiter medium destroyer as my first T3) but I'm still struggling to figure out what advantages the different weight classes offer to each hull type.

So far I've played the medium arty cruiser, the medium tac cruiser, medium dread, light corvette and medium destroyer.

I'd like your advice and input on choosing what weight classes are most effective in their given roles.

What I know so far from browsing the forums is that the light tactical cruiser is unable to repair and the heavy is the king of repairs, the light arty cruiser is a whole different beast than the medium arty due to its 360° firing arc and faster firing guns. I know nothing of the destroyers, dreadnoughts and corvettes, however.

Primarily I'm interested in learning the differences between the destroyers (Also very interested in finding the right variant for the plasma ram) and dreadnoughts as well as understanding how differently a light corvette and a heavy corvette would ideally play. I'm not interested in glory hunting, however, and will play any ship class to round out a team, PUG or otherwise.

Thank you!

P.S.: Is the heavy arty really as bad as some forum posts make it out to be, compared to the light and medium variants?

Jan. 29, 2017, 10:43 a.m.

Hey, DeciBelle

Basically the Heavy/Light groups are Speed vs. Hitpoints, with the mediums being flexible, but there are catches of course.

Corvette (Disclaimer: not much experience here): Airplane vs. U-Boat. The Light corvette are like dive bombers, going in, drop a bomb/torp and going out. The heavies can´t do that but instead use heavy cloaks to sneak up, wreck a ship and the blink away.

Dreadnought: Battleship vs. Battlecruiser. The Monarch line is about being a strong point on the field, where your fleet can gather and your enemies can waste ammunition. The Gravis line is about supporting faster ships. A Monarch is about being supported by the rest of the fleet, offering firepower and protection. The Gravis is more about supporting faster elements with their endurance.

Destroyer: Assault shield + shotgun vs. SMG. The Dola is atm a bit weird and kinda hard to play, but offers great resilience with active shields and firepower at extreme short ranges. The Vindicta is a fast burst damage ship, can almost played like a Corvette.

My own choice is also not clear at the moment. I like the Dola in many regards, but its hard to use properly. The Otranto is rock solid and useful in many situations. The heavy Arty is bugged atm. It should fire a two shot salvo, but only fires once. At least it did so in earlier versions.

Jan. 29, 2017, 10:51 a.m.

Updated //
Jan. 29, 2017, 10:54 a.m.

Just ignore the light tactical cruiser as aside for the officer briefing you get it is a piece of garbage what's not worth your time grinding as it cannot heal anywhere close to what the Koschei line can do just use to to get to where you want to be then leave it alone to rust in your hanger.

Arty wise the Svarog was and IMHO still is king of artys as not too slow and still packs a mean punch you just need to use energy to quickly turn to snipe vetty's out of the sky as in T1-and T2 it is the best ship to counter them as can 2 shot them as they don't have their bs modules yet and quite slow. Nox line however has the bomb catapult and should treat is as a GTFO my face weapon as will kill anything so long as below 1.5km of you or be on the verge of death. Use the catapult to snipe ships what duck behind cover as you can manually detonate them and they fly in an arc again the closer the better as it's essentially a shotgun. The grenada is bad as it's too slow to react to corvettes and while alpha's good it fires 2 rounds per shot with a slight delay. So unless they standing still of good at leading shots not it's the best and because it a brick it's hard to get into good positions you are corvette and arty bait as they can just out snipe and gun you no matter how good that tank of yours is.

Dessys if want a ramcan go with the lighter ships and take scramble pulse and drain torps key is to joust opponents (get in do damage gtfo heal repair and repeat.) Gora line was the king of mid range now regenerated to close range and dealing with big ships as the weapon spread awful. The Athos line jack of all and is a good place to grind as it can use nuke torps quite well if you blind fire them (range is 2.5KM use it when a ship coming towards you or hiding behind cove shoot it just above the ridge and detonate it when it on the other side bear in mind it will fire parallel to your ship so be careful of ff.)

Dreads the Invictus just a better Gora nowadays as better more reliable primary weapon just make sure not to use warp as it's not worth it IMHO as tank too squishy and not that slow. The zemy a large ship bruiser good at mid to close range of if good at leading shots a good long range platform (but you should never use it in this role you have a tank and team needs meat at the front!!!) The Monarch a brick and will tank for days and the 1 ship it might be worth the warp drive just to get to the front faster.

Corvettes valcour line is king as king of speed and dps and should be your go too ship, as the one down side is can only do damage on the approach and poor on the way out but that is negligible as you will kill most ships with 1 pass anyway they are that disgusting. Speed is key and it is your tank blink warp gets you out of most ships engagement range just attack them from the rear and will wreck house with them. Fulgora ok as a anti corvette ship and ok overall just a bit slower the kreshnik don't even bother it's too slow to be of any use.

Jan. 29, 2017, 12:25 p.m.

kenny#0734 posted (#post-99485)

Just ignore the light tactical cruiser as aside for the officer briefing you get it is a piece of garbage what's not worth your time grinding as it cannot heal anywhere close to what the Koschei line can do just use to to get to where you want to be then leave it alone to rust in your hanger.

Arty wise the Svarog was and IMHO still is king of artys as not too slow and still packs a mean punch you just need to use energy to quickly turn to snipe vetty's out of the sky as in T1-and T2 it is the best ship to counter them as can 2 shot them as they don't have their bs modules yet and quite slow. Nox line however has the bomb catapult and should treat is as a GTFO my face weapon as will kill anything so long as below 1.5km of you or be on the verge of death. Use the catapult to snipe ships what duck behind cover as you can manually detonate them and they fly in an arc again the closer the better as it's essentially a shotgun. The grenada is bad as it's too slow to react to corvettes and while alpha's good it fires 2 rounds per shot with a slight delay. So unless they standing still of good at leading shots not it's the best and because it a brick it's hard to get into good positions you are corvette and arty bait as they can just out snipe and gun you no matter how good that tank of yours is.

Dessys if want a ramcan go with the lighter ships and take scramble pulse and drain torps key is to joust opponents (get in do damage gtfo heal repair and repeat.) Gora line was the king of mid range now regenerated to close range and dealing with big ships as the weapon spread awful. The Athos line jack of all and is a good place to grind as it can use nuke torps quite well if you blind fire them (range is 2.5KM use it when a ship coming towards you or hiding behind cove shoot it just above the ridge and detonate it when it on the other side bear in mind it will fire parallel to your ship so be careful of ff.)

Dreads the Invictus just a better Gora nowadays as better more reliable primary weapon just make sure not to use warp as it's not worth it IMHO as tank too squishy and not that slow. The zemy a large ship bruiser good at mid to close range of if good at leading shots a good long range platform (but you should never use it in this role you have a tank and team needs meat at the front!!!) The Monarch a brick and will tank for days and the 1 ship it might be worth the warp drive just to get to the front faster.

Corvettes valcour line is king as king of speed and dps and should be your go too ship, as the one down side is can only do damage on the approach and poor on the way out but that is negligible as you will kill most ships with 1 pass anyway they are that disgusting. Speed is key and it is your tank blink warp gets you out of most ships engagement range just attack them from the rear and will wreck house with them. Fulgora ok as a anti corvette ship and ok overall just a bit slower the kreshnik don't even bother it's too slow to be of any use.

Very opinionated and don't take his word for it. As it stands there are a few underperforming T3s however all T4 ships save perhaps the Jutland's weapon spread are excellent ships. The weight classes allude to the playstyle so light ships are hard hitting and fast, medium is a jack of all trades but not proficient in either and heavy are the tanky ones who attempt to overcome with attrition.

As for your desired destroyer build, go for the oberon one. Good ball of fun for sure.

Jan. 29, 2017, 12:50 p.m.

If you want to ram, go Oberon. Very fast and evasive, with great close/mid-range firepower. That said, Nurgle pretty well covered all the bases. A couple things to add:

Arty Cruisers: They are a bit unique in that the Med and Heavy classes are both very similar (long-range sniper boats. Heavy has a bit more DPS and health but they're a bit slower and easier to hit), but the Oberon's lights are entirely different. I play them less as dedicated snipers and more as ambush flankers with sniping capabilities. Their great speed, thin profile and 360 degree coverage is excellent for this role. Use mobile cloak and speed boost to sneak around the side or rear (or even right under), then use your primary and secondary modules (there's a number of great options) to burst vulnerable ships and GTFO with speed boosts once your burst is out and you've spent your clip. This is the only class of any ship really capable of doing this well, as it can insta-kill many weaker ships or affect a wide area with its burst, depending on its kit. I, personally, use mobile cloak and speed boost to get right under an enemy, fire a drain torpedo into their belly, then open up with a bomb catapult, autoguns and flak to RAPIDLY kill anything with less than 30k hit points. Then just fly away cause if you picked your target right the rest of the team won't even notice.

Make The Forums Great Again!

Jan. 29, 2017, 1:14 p.m.

Updated //
Jan. 29, 2017, 1:18 p.m.

As Kenny mentioned the Tac Cruisers, I want to add to them:

The Heavy Tac line is basically the pure healer offering Tank and raw heal, but little flexibility. At point blank the heal of a Koshei is about 2.5 times that of an Aio, but the Aion has less Falloff on their beams, so at range the Aion catches up. (According to an interview with The Borg) To conclude: The Koshei is king in keeping a Ball of Doom alive, the Aion better at keeping scattered ships up and generally more flexible because of speed.
The lights are weird, as they cannot heal with their primary gun, but deal the most (insta hitting) damage with it, making them the debatable best Hunter-Killer in the game. Along with their options for using mines and pods they are more about changing the map, then healing.
All higher Tier Tacs have options to buff teammates by providing energy, increase damage, cloaking or reducing cooldowns.

Jan. 29, 2017, 2:29 p.m.

Those are some very insightful pieces of information, thank you very much!

I do have to admit the Oberon ships look very sleek and beautiful in my eyes and was wondering how one would go about playing, say, the light dreadnought compared to the medium dreadnoughts, and perhaps the same comparing medium destroyers vs. light destroyers?

I've saved up enough credits to start dipping into T3 and I think my playstyle is more mobile and opportunistic than the opposite. I don't see myself commanding a heavy dreadnought for sure. Do you have any recommendations how to choose a reliable medium/light variant T3/4 ship to properly invest in? There is a lot of missing information on weapon ranges and accuracy in the game itself right now and what has been said about, say the Dola's weapons is worrying. I'd hate to run into a similar trap on the light ships.

Jan. 29, 2017, 3:08 p.m.

https://www.reddit.com/r/playdreadnought/comments/4l8je4/ship_numerical_stats_data/ these are the old alpha values so they will be a bit off now have tiers but treat them as a rough guide to what your getting.

If you like the Talionis line treat them much oversized corvettes and should be flow as such as they are very squishy but they pack a nasty punch. Great for pub stomping but in organized play or a team what work together they will get rekt. Personally would recommend the Anthos line to start so can play a skirmisher and a main line ship, your not as fast but still fast enough given the right setups.

If playing a skirmisher the usual tactic is flank them and at 2k push f1 and run your main guns into them and burn in. Hit f3 and hit ram and all dps mods then switch to flak as get to 800m and unload another clip into them then finish with main gun on the way out what will of reloaded by then, most ships tend to die with that combo. Want to aim for tacs the dessy and artys ignore dreds what full hp. Module wise rams and nuke torps work depending on play style (want to do a drive by or get in and say hi.) Drain or disruptor work wonders (no energy means no shields so less effective hp, diruptors mean not modules for them to retaliate with,) then scramble or weapon booster pulse depending how ballsy feeling (scramble is op but wep pulse works for damage output.) Then thrust or energy gen both work (thrust can shield and speed on the way out but energy gen has some VERY nasty combos with reatliator and very versatile if you mess up.)

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.