FORUMS

Most effective weapons against a corvette? while protecting the sniper

Posted: //
May 17, 2016, 10:41 p.m.

My reason is during a recent match I tried to play the role of protecting our sniper which I did ok at but wonder how I could have done better.

Being a dreadnought my weapons aren't the most effective and while flak cannons are useful the range is too short at 900 to be any use to an ally. (works great on other dreadnoughts though)

Maybe the destroyer could fill the role better? or nox sniper paired?

The destroyer has more range then the dreadnoughts so maybe that would a better option since I could add to the long range damage and still protect the sniper.

"I haven't lost an arm, brother. It's right over there."

May 17, 2016, 10:47 p.m.

Updated //
May 17, 2016, 10:47 p.m.

AOE weapons usually help, as well as:
keeping an eye on the minimap, and
always check your ship's blindspots as a third-person game.

May 17, 2016, 11:06 p.m.

Updated //
May 17, 2016, 11:07 p.m.

thebigbuu#9220 posted (#post-35002)

AOE weapons usually help, as well as:
keeping an eye on the minimap, and
always check your ship's blindspots as a third-person game.

-AOE
What I'm looking at the moment.
-Minimap
Works pretty well so I can get an idea of where the vette is coming in
-blindspots
Helps a lot actually,

If nothing else I spotted the corvettes a lot but couldn't finish them before they got away so nothing else I figure if the sniper is safe it's a win but would still like to kill the annoying flies.

May 17, 2016, 11:08 p.m.

Updated //
May 17, 2016, 11:10 p.m.

The best dreadnought weapons are the ones with high fire rate like Monarch or Invictus primaries and the repeater guns as secondary. Flak is too short range and the Zmey primary fire rate is just too low. The broadside module is quite efficient I find as well. Some Vulture missiles usually makes them fly away.

But if you are tanky enough, they just don't bother after a while anyway, feeling they waste their time on you.

May 17, 2016, 11:15 p.m.

I use a Cattaro, for close range damage and Patrol the Snipers/Tact Healers. Unless the enemy has 2+ Vettes I am usually killing their vettes at a 3 to 1 ratio my advantage.

"Dost thou even Dreadnought a Corvette?"

May 17, 2016, 11:17 p.m.

Nyanko#3267 posted (#post-35006)

The best dreadnought weapons are the ones with high fire rate like Monarch or Invictus primaries and the repeater guns as secondary. Flak is too short range and the Zmey primary fire rate is just too low. The broadside module is quite efficient I find as well. Some Vulture missiles usually makes them fly away.

But if you are tanky enough, they just don't bother after a while anyway, feeling they waste their time on you.

Gonna test the broadsides but might miss the nuke too much. Don't know how many kills I netted because I anticipated them dropping behind cover from the sniper and boom, nuke for the finish. Otherwise, I have no issue protecting my self. Just my less armored teammate.

Maybe plasma broadside and statis pulse,(nah the escape modules counter it). Just gonna play around see what works. While the vulture missiles are pretty useful at keeping them away for a while.

May 17, 2016, 11:19 p.m.

I have not been playin long but I find Destroyers the number one counter to vettes right now

May 17, 2016, 11:51 p.m.

The best way to kill corvettes are other corvettes and offensive tactical cruisers.

Corvettes are fairly obvious; Tacticals are about beam amp and power to weapons via energy generator. Both can use blast pulse with the module amper officer briefing to quickly shred any corvette that gets too close.

May 18, 2016, 1:24 a.m.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, WRONG.

Using a dedicated anti-vette vette is a waste of a slot. You have a dead slot dedicated to trading 1 to 1 with enemy one - and the enemy will not wait and trade nicely, they will swoop in, kill your healer and then you trade 1 to 1. Net loss.

If you use minimap to see a corvette, you are late to the party. Best case scenario vette kills your protegee, you kill corvette, you both trade 1 to 1, but their team has the advantage in the push. Vette did it's job, you did not do yours.

Best weapon against a vette is a dread or DD with EYES. Yep, eyes. You don't depend on the crutch of a minimap, you don't wait till blood and guts of your tac/sniper hit your hull, you shoot first as soon as you see the shimmer of a vette or catch a non-cloak one between the vegetation. Your protegee is aware he needs to be on guard and has his trigger finger on shield - so vette won't blast him in seconds - and vette needs to take a breath and change his pants, because of the bullets that just grazed his wings.

90% of times I was successfully protecting someone from vettes, it was due to finding it and shooting first. Even if you loose it and don't kill it ever, if you distract if 3-4 times in a row it's enough to swing the full-trade balance wildly in your favor.

May 18, 2016, 1:25 a.m.

DDwarriorfire8103#0093 posted (#post-35010)

Nyanko#3267 posted (#post-35006)

Gonna test the broadsides but might miss the nuke too much. Don't know how many kills I netted because I anticipated them dropping behind cover from the sniper and boom, nuke for the finish. Otherwise, I have no issue protecting my self. Just my less armored teammate.

Maybe plasma broadside and statis pulse,(nah the escape modules counter it). Just gonna play around see what works. While the vulture missiles are pretty useful at keeping them away for a while.

Stasis is not that great against corvettes, especially the ones with warp abilities. Tractor beam has well is just too situational to be trusted. Anti-missile or Armor pulse modules can be interesting to protect teammates as they are both AoEs. But ultimately, your teammates will have to move around your ship to protect themselves against direct damage.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.