FORUMS

Competitive vs Casual

Posted: //
March 14, 2015, 9:26 a.m.

This is a Q directed more at the Devs, but anyone should feel free to input their thoughts.
Can you tell us anything about the competitive aspect of dreadnought? Going into this game I would really like to see a possible ranking system, aswell as casual system.
That may or may not happen depending on how you guys approach this (which is fine) but it would be really nice to find this game in the Esports and play against really challenging players, while also having the option to play alongside people who are just playing to have fun.

smile

March 15, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

Updated //
March 15, 2015, 9:06 a.m.

Personally, I don't think ESports is something a developer should try and push artificially. Promote the idea, and include the tools players need to easily make it happen, and a competitive community will develop on it's own.

Without a big grassroots playerbase you simply won't get any sort of competitive scene. You need that foundation to allow the game to grow to the point where it can maintain a vibrant competitive scene. The second a developer starts building in mechanics to cater specifically to competitive players over casual ones the game is in trouble. Developers have tried this before and it's backfired badly.

That's not to say that developers shouldn't include features and organisational tools for competitive play, far from it. The ability to organise and manage competitive play is essential. But the gameplay foundation needs to be there: easy to learn, hard to master. This game looks like that balance is already there, so I don't think tweaking that to cater for a potential competitive environment is a good idea.

Build a game for the players you have, not the players you want.

Exitus acta probat.

March 15, 2015, 1:31 p.m.

@Selerox Well said.

March 16, 2015, 9:48 a.m.

Selerox#6711 posted (#post-906)

Personally, I don't think ESports is something a developer should try and push artificially. Promote the idea, and include the tools players need to easily make it happen, and a competitive community will develop on it's own.

Without a big grassroots playerbase you simply won't get any sort of competitive scene. You need that foundation to allow the game to grow to the point where it can maintain a vibrant competitive scene. The second a developer starts building in mechanics to cater specifically to competitive players over casual ones the game is in trouble. Developers have tried this before and it's backfired badly.

That's not to say that developers shouldn't include features and organisational tools for competitive play, far from it. The ability to organise and manage competitive play is essential. But the gameplay foundation needs to be there: easy to learn, hard to master. This game looks like that balance is already there, so I don't think tweaking that to cater for a potential competitive environment is a good idea.

Build a game for the players you have, not the players you want.

Agree completely. Very well said.

May 23, 2015, 8:16 a.m.

The analysis of Selerox is right the game has to grow naturally to support a competetive community because if you force it like certain big companies with B then it is going to frighten the casuals. A good start would be a well rounded competetiv mode and a squad/clan/party system where u can "organize" your premade teams and then its very important to have a good balancing. At a certain point the community is going to make there own online Tournaments and from that point they can start to make it big but there has to be a naturale growned base to start with.

Ich möchte eine Deutsche Dreadnaought community starten schick mir ne PM und ich liefer zum Betastart ein TS.

May 23, 2015, 10:20 a.m.

they do have competetive stuff planned or at least want to incorporate that stuff later on, check out this thread:
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/632/

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

May 23, 2015, 11:28 a.m.

Updated //
May 23, 2015, 11:30 a.m.

I say start slow and expand in to Esports at a later date once you have a fairly large fan base needed to support it.

If you rush in you scare new players away who view the game full of elite jerk-offs who are just going to range at you over any tiny error . That been said to slow and it might never fully take off.

Still gameplay first then work hard on the playerbase if you can stop it becoming toxic you can end up with a good gound to start the Esports side.

If you got a problem use Dakka if you still got a problem you just did not use enough Dakka.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.