FORUMS

Trying not to be mad (Vette issues)

Posted: //
May 20, 2016, 6:08 p.m.

So I just had a game of TDM in my gora Destroyer. I was feeling pretty good about it because the other 4 guys were in 3 monarchs and one top level heal ship (not sure of the name). I thought it would be a good stand up fight. But we actually lost 100-5 because what was the enemy team made up of? Corvettes. 5 of them. We couldn't hit them, or see them coming on dry dock, too much cover. Even when I had one in my sights, they just absorbed 10 seconds of fire from me with no problem, nuked someone and afterburner away. They out DPS'd our healer and we never could catch them. I then switched to a Vette myself to try to counter them, but no, they (being pro players) could see through my medium cloak from 6 km and ate me 3 on one in dogfights again and again. Fair enough the other on my team refused to switch out of the monarchs, but this state of play doesn't seem fair. This game is supposed to be about epic space battles in huge ships. The game I just had was more akin to piranhas eating a poor cow who fell in the river. Whatever anyone says about balance, fairness or whatever else, one thing is true. It's not fun. Losing a stand up brawl fight can still easily be fun, dying heroically. Losing to a slippery enemy (though undeniably skilled) who you can never hit is, fair or not, not fun and not good for the game. Just one intermediate player's opinion. Not saying vettes should be nerfed or taken out, they have a place. But should a team of 5 of them be allowed? I don't think so.

May 20, 2016, 6:52 p.m.

Did you guys cover each other and swap to your secondaries to blow off vetties ?
Use tractor beams ?
Consider that maybe your setup was dreadful (Monarchs are tanks, not big on dmg - and S L O W) ?
Ping vetties for each other to focus fire ?
Or just took the biggest baddest ships to drive round the 'hood thinking nobody would dare to hassle you ?

Dreadnought was
Dreadnought could be
Dreadnought might
But what is, is Dead for naught.

May 20, 2016, 7:25 p.m.

Updated //
May 20, 2016, 7:28 p.m.

Firstly, I was in the Gora and don't have tractor beams, and yes I did try my secondaries. But my secondaries are rocket turrets. My primaries are better for vettes. I can't control what my team-mates do. Thing is, a team full of monarchs is what the game is about, a huge fleet of awesome.
You are right, there are things we could have done better. But would winning in that situation have been fun? just sitting in the sky with a much open space around as possible waiting for tiny ships to de cloak and have us blow them away? That's not awesome, that's not dreadnought, or I don't think it should be. Win, lose, get kills or not, I can't think of a time where a team of five vettes is gonna be a fun time, and so i don't think it should be allowed.
My post is not about balance and what is effective, it's about fun.

May 20, 2016, 8:03 p.m.

There is your problem right there. The misconception that this game is all about flying the biggest, baddest looking ship. If that were the case there would be no need to have Arty nor Vette in the game in the first place. Also it seems like the enemy team picked a better overall ship choice to counter your team, and your team refused to change ship choices as well as strategy to turn the tide of the fight. Not the Vette team's fault.

With that said, I do think the current design for vettes needs to be tweaked/changed. I think in a game like this they should most certainly be designed around a hit-n-run/strafing runs/Drive-by whatever you want to call it. I think a better way to go about this is lower the damage potential of Vettes accross the board, but make it so they are able to empty their primary weapon magazines quicker (but still at a lower total damage then current). Lowering the damage of some of the modules would make sense as well. The balance this out I think giving them a slight movement speed and a moderate turning speed increase across the board, as well as unique access to more long duration debuffing tools is the proper way to go.

What we have currently is a vette typically sneaking up on a target in it's blind spot most of the time stopping, unloading everything until it is dead and then running away for rinse and repeat.

What I think it should be is a vette sneaks up on say a TC, and without stopping unloads entire magazine doing roughly half the TCs HP pool, drops drain torps on the TC that now also prevent the TC from regenning energy for longer as well, then unleashes a blast that debuffs healing received for everyone hit for 12s...all while not stopping. Instead of the vette being some pure killing ship it is now more about a role of creating an opening for your team to be more aggressive and push in. AKA teamwork.

May 20, 2016, 8:38 p.m.

I agree Vettes have too much DPS at the moment. Being able to take out more than half of a monarch life in just a few seconds is insane ( we are talking about 40k hull here ), even the Artillery Cruiser can't do that. The arty should be the one doing the most DPS in the game cause it doesn't have as much counter measures and it's way easier to fire at. But vettes have the best of both worlds: the highest DPS and the best speed and it's too unbalanced as it is right now.

May 20, 2016, 10:36 p.m.

The game is called Dreadnought its built around insane space battles not interstellar fly swatting. You have to assign good load outs to counter vettes that usually takes away from your anti big ship firepower. To say that a PUG should be ready to handle a skilled five man vette squad its absurd. The OP is right its not fun to huddle in a corner of the map and just play fly swatter for an entire match!

May 21, 2016, 3:24 a.m.

Candidly speaking, this thread seems a bit misguided. It sounds like the issue was that you go outplayed by an organized, experienced, and coordinated team against a pick up group of random people. I suspect the outcome would not have changed, regardless of what the enemy side was flying. It probably would have been a 100-0 shutout if they were running serious team comp with a repair ship.

Teamwork is OP.

May 21, 2016, 3:32 a.m.

Updated //
May 21, 2016, 3:34 a.m.

The name has little to do with the game and everything to do with marketing. If you consider it's all about Dreadnought then you might wanna think about the fact that those things are nothing compared to a dreadnought. (The historical ones had the biggest guns floating)

1) So because the matchmaker is non-existent and groups can fight pugs all the time, we should nerf a ship?
2) Because the machmaker is non-existent and sends high rank veteran players against newbs, we should nerf an already nerfed ship?

How about we actually get a matchmaker ?

3) To the OP: If the all vet team wasn't a pre-made group, the defeat is yours and your teams fault.
It's not like they have other ships to distract your team, all you had to do was watch the map and look for them. You should have played better, you specified you ended up in 1 v 3 fights when you switched to the vet, why would that be the case, unless you rushed them alone when you should have stayed near your team and attack them when they attacked.

So no, the corvette is not an unkillable god ship.

What happened? How did it happen? Why did it happen? What should you do next time so it doesn't happen again?

• Until we get a working matchmaker that doesn't put unraked pubs against pre-mades, I'm done.

May 21, 2016, 8:53 a.m.

Updated //
May 21, 2016, 8:54 a.m.

Controversial one, and I would never argue that Vets are as they finally should be, at least not quite yet, but I do think the people pointing out that PUG vs Group and the lack of adaptability and wrong loadouts was more to blame than an op vehicle have a very valid point. Yes it can suck being targets for well armed and well piloted Vet Swarms but mostly I find that blind panic and being ill prepared is the major killer. Batten down the hatches, launch some approp countermeasures, shields up and switch to Flak and MGs. Really all you need to do is put up a good show of strength at the start and the vets start to crumble and respawn as Destroyers or the like. To say that having anti vets weapons detracts from anti heavy ability is kind of a redundant statement, that is sort of why we have loadouts, so that we aren't all flying big bad anti heavy ships, always pack something for special occasions if you PUG, watch your healers, find and use open space to your advantage. Anyway this has all been said I think, and yes Vets maybe still need a little balancing out, those things do horrible damage if you let them line up but should we allow 5 in a team? yes. The concessions they make are manifold - no healing, no real range, no team boosts etc. I think things will settle down and make more sense if hit locations start to get implemented, and if ships start to do real damage when they are accidentally struck or collided with, and maybe if area of effect weapons had a slightly more pronounced effect. For me Stasis and Flak works very well on the little guys.

Just do it.

May 21, 2016, 10:15 a.m.

Once again, I won't ever bother reading this.

tl;dr
Corvettes are fine. Working as team and focusing will kill corvettes easily. If the enemy manages to beat you 100:5 with 5 corvettes, you clearly didn't work as team. Not even a bit.
Corvettes have a high DPS considering their size, of course, but they're far from being unbalanced or anything. Their lack of HP gets them killed within seconds if your team learns to focus.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.