FORUMS

Jutland Problems

Posted: //
Feb. 3, 2017, 2:12 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 3, 2017, 2:17 p.m.

After grinding a long time with the T3 Destroyer (Medium), I finally got the heavy dreadnought. I immediately realized a few Problems with this ship though, and after playing with it for a while I now have some thoughts about it:

1. Flying Fortress Role After looking at the modules and playing with the ship, I figured that the Idea behind this Ship is that of a flying Fortress, able to take a punch from pretty much anything that comes along but at the same time dependend on the team as it is to slow to react to fast ships or quickly changing battlefields. The dreadnought is there to protect the surrounding ships as well as being a mobile point for regrouping. I base the rest of my post on these assumptions, so please correct me, if I got it wrong.

2. Getting into Battle One of the biggest Problems with this ship is its ability to get to the action. Whilst the slow Speed and bad maneuverability is fine and balanced once the ship is in place, it is a huge problem to get there. Basically there are only two options, one being slowly flying there and the other being the warp drive.
    Even when using thrust amplification, it takes quite a long time to get to the action after spawning. This is fine in Team Elimination, where everybody tries to be as careful as possible, but in the other gamemodes it is not justifiable for the rest of the team to stick with you until you are part of the battle, thus resulting in an easy, big target at the outer rims of the map. At this point it all depends on luck (mainly the spawning position and weather or not your teammates are able to help you). This effect gets even worse as the range of the dreadnought is quite limited (see 3.)
    All of this basically forces you to use the warp drive in a non-Team-Elimination-game. This is very bad as the drive itsself is (because of the bad manuveurability) hardly useful once in battle. The drive also blocks up the internal modules slot which plays a key role in either customizing the ship to a more offensive or defensive style.

3. Range and Damage As mentioned, the range of the Dreadnought is quite limited and most of the modules are built for a close to medium range as well (with an exception for the nukes and vulture missiles, but those are both very slow) which is fine as it fits the role of Flying Fortress, but it has one major issue: It makes the dreadnought unable to help the team in many situations; it can leave cover and take a punch but doing so is at best a distraction as it can hardly fight back over a distance) Key here are the primary guns, especially their dmg falloff over distance and their range to start with. It just doesn't fit the most heavy ship in the game to have such a weak overall dmg output, especially since the maneuverability is such a drawback. I also experienced this while playing with the t3 medium destroyer (which is well balanced in my opinion) as I was able to kill a Jutland single handedly without them being able to do much about it if there were no team members around (like after a re-spawn).

4. Overall Versatility and minor Issues Of course, the ship is not meant to be versatile, but right now is has such a big focus on being able to take a punch with everything else being neglected in favor of this ability, that it feels like being a mere impediment to the rest of the team, except in very special (and very rare) situations. Also, the role of the dreadnought makes it a lot harder to earn experience and score, as all ribbons and score-achieving actions are favoring other classes and roles.

5.Conclusion: All in all, the Jutland is a very awesome ship, but its lacking ability to being able to help your team (either because it takes you two minutes to fly to them or because your range is to imited) makes playing with it a dull and at times frustrating experience rather than giving you the feeling of playing one of the mightiest ships of the Jupiter Arms Fleet.

Feb. 3, 2017, 2:34 p.m.

100% agree with everything said. The Devs have mentioned looking at ribbons for dreads to better reward tanking but I have to hear about them addressing the Jutlands pitiful excuse for primary weapons. Hopefully this gets looked at because of right now the threat level of the Jutland is quite low which makes tanking the enemy difficult as they often just ignore your slow low dps ship

Feb. 3, 2017, 2:43 p.m.

TitanEx#2963 posted (#post-101832)

100% agree with everything said. The Devs have mentioned looking at ribbons for dreads to better reward tanking but I have to hear about them addressing the Jutlands pitiful excuse for primary weapons. Hopefully this gets looked at because of right now the threat level of the Jutland is quite low which makes tanking the enemy difficult as they often just ignore your slow low dps ship

There was talk on another thread: Community Hot Topics #0 - A First Taste
that the fire rate of the Jutland may well be bugged at a lower amount than it should be. If true this would up the damage output significantly at least. But it obviously wouldn't affect the range...

Feb. 3, 2017, 2:56 p.m.

Thanks I missed that I guess that would help a little bit but Im not sure if that is enough of an impact on the Jutland's threat level. Right now people will ignore a Jutland effectively making it a very poor tank. It's simply not a threat when compared to other ships....

Feb. 3, 2017, 3:14 p.m.

Unless it suddenly made them a monster in close range then I'd have to agree. I don't play them but I'm much more worried when a Lorica is on the offensive.

A well healed & supported one can rain utter annihilation on the enemy team.

Feb. 3, 2017, 4:27 p.m.

Falcon#0978 posted (#post-101841)

Unless it suddenly made them a monster in close range then I'd have to agree. I don't play them but I'm much more worried when a Lorica is on the offensive.

A well healed & supported one can rain utter annihilation on the enemy team.

The Jutland before the Shipyard update was pretty close to being a monster close range, having double the DPS it currently has, but just in close range (0-1200m), around the dps of heavy flak cannons, above this is Repeater Guns land.

Recruit Engineer

Feb. 3, 2017, 4:48 p.m.

Yep, I was the one demanding some improvement to Jutland.
The Dev ignored my point about the speed, but he wasn't here for that. What he said is, that we should improve our DPS greatly. Going from 0.65 to 0.25 shot/per sec is a huge improvement. I think it will be 0.35, or something, unless they want the jutland to have the same RoF as the Monarch.
This is not unlikely (all the zmey-like ship are at 1.05), but we'll see.

Best proposal to put 2.0 in the right way. Please hear this guy dev https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/30780/?page=3#post-71653

Feb. 3, 2017, 4:54 p.m.

Thanks for the info looking forward to that change. I do enjoy the Jutland but it's frustrating how ineffective this ship can be.

Feb. 3, 2017, 5:15 p.m.

1) your assumption is too personal. Well... You are right, as it could be played that way. But you are also wrong, as it's all about how you will equip it... Module and (especially) Off. Briefing wise.
That last point could change a jutland, from a slow moving fortress to a quite mobile ship, or a pure tank, here to suck a maximum of dmg and distract everyone from the real threat.

You've better see the dread in general, as ship with enough resistance to deliver there loadout under enemy fire and survive to it.

Now i'll continue my comment under your assumption (as it's not false. It's one of the many possibility).

2) True.
I post in that way. Going into battle is not so much of an issue as everyone is moving at the beginning of the game.
Real trouble beginning when you are dying and need to come back.

Before 2.0, the respawn point were different. Closer if i'm not wrong. So Monarch could make a comeback. It was long, slow, but doable. Now is a different story ^^

3)True too.
Another post of main in that way. Low dmg per shell, slow RoF, short range, inaccurate. That the main gun of the jutland.

4) 2 main ideas on this one
-Wrong. Versatility is all in the module/Off. Briefing. It's all up to you, how you'll play it. Want some close range? Use quick missile, Plasma battery, Warp jump to evade. Want to play from afar? Nuke, Vulture missile. Some usefulness? Add Tartarus missile. Want to tank? Armour booster pulse and Armour amplifier. All with according Off Briefing.
Believe me, I played monarch Pre-2.0, where all module were at your disposal, once lvl50. I tried multiple variations, finishing with CQC and Tanking monarch. Mainly the last, and enjoy it a lot. The first was dying fast... And it was the same monarch. Just with a different load out. (A friend was even playing an aggressive Tac cruiser. That medium one with nuke mine. Was working pretty well. And nobody was expecting that from a that tac. ^^)

-Gaining XP/cred as a tank.
True. That a point for lots of people. And Dev seems to be aware now. We just need to wait and see.
So... All in all, I agree that Jutland/monarch got the best design to tank. But that one possibility.

Best proposal to put 2.0 in the right way. Please hear this guy dev https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/30780/?page=3#post-71653

Feb. 3, 2017, 6:15 p.m.

Alasthor#9495 posted (#post-101873)
-Wrong. Versatility is all in the module/Off. Briefing. It's all up to you, how you'll play it. Want some close range? Use quick missile, Plasma battery, Warp jump to evade. Want to play from afar? Nuke, Vulture missile. Some usefulness? Add Tartarus missile. Want to tank? Armour booster pulse and Armour amplifier. All with according Off Briefing.

It is true that I haven't considered officer briefings which in fact do add some variety and customization options, but I have to insist that the Jutland (or all heavy dreadnoughts) have survivability as their key feature and manuverability as their key disadvantage which preceded my conclusions. Whilst every ship in the game (more so the higher tier versions) has a number of possible loadouts (and assosiated playing styles), versatility isn't really the dreadnoughts stong suite as its key characeristics are very stongly defining. For example, nukes and vulture missiles may add the possibility for long ranged attacks, but because of their slow projectile speed and long reloading times, the dreadnought (with current primary weapons) is at best a supporter at long range with the same movement restrictions applying to it the rest of the time.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.