FORUMS

Closed Beta Test Survey

Posted: //
May 25, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

Updated //
May 25, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

Let us know what you think of closed beta so far with this survey. We're only a few weeks into CBT, and we'd love to hear your opinions on Dreadnought!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/S2LDWR8

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

May 25, 2016, 4:22 p.m.

Updated //
May 25, 2016, 4:23 p.m.

Please rank aspects of our current Progression system from MOST (1) enjoyable to LEAST (5)?

... Ummm they all deserve a 5 ranking, So you can disregard my 1-5 because I picked randomly.

I am addicted to Dreadnought like I am addicted to Brake Fluid, I can stop anytime.

Just remember to always shoot the ship being healed and never change tactics and then complain why you lost.

May 26, 2016, 4:30 a.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2016, 4:30 a.m.

ChaosWraith#8422 posted (#post-36265)

Please rank aspects of our current Progression system from MOST (1) enjoyable to LEAST (5)?

... Ummm they all deserve a 5 ranking, So you can disregard my 1-5 because I picked randomly.

Heh. I wrote as much into the comment box there. Progression systems in F2P are meant to be unenjoyable so you pay to bypass them. I really have no idea why someone came up with the idea to ask about them being enjoyable, felt like pouring salt into the wound.

Otherwise good survey, hope it helps, would be interesting to see some summary results published once it's done.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 26, 2016, 8:25 a.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-36312)

Heh. I wrote as much into the comment box there. Progression systems in F2P are meant to be unenjoyable so you pay to bypass them.

No that is a proven bad idea. How many unenjoyable games have you spent money on? And how do you know that the game will be enjoyable after you have spent the money?

Having fun while progressing is pretty much the only thing there is that will keep people playing. If that isn't fun without spending money then the game will fail to retain a healthy active player population.

If anything, the only difference spending money on a F2P game should have is to make an already fun game even more fun.

Your argument that f2p games should be unenjoyable unless you pay used to be the norm way back when F2P were something new and there weren't so many of them. Now however there are so many f2p games out there that ARE enjoyable even if you don't pay that there's not even a choice any more. You either produce a f2p game that is fun for everyone or you will fail.

May 26, 2016, 8:51 a.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2016, 8:55 a.m.

My argument wasn't that they should be like that, but that they are like that. Do you think elite status (= premium account) and items for real money currency are a thing because people enjoy the progression system so much? No, it's something that allows players to bypass the progression and the game developers to monetize on that.

Of course, if the grind is actually your reason to play all the more power to you but you are not the target demographic because you will not earn them any money (except on vanity stuff maybe).

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

May 26, 2016, 9:02 a.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-36329)

My argument wasn't that they should be like that, but that they are like that. Do you think elite status (= premium account) and items for real money currency are a thing because people enjoy the progression system so much? No, it's something that allows players to bypass the progression and the game developers to monetize on that.

"Meh, I leveled up again. Another useless module I won't look at anyway. Don' play no tac me, no sire! What is that? 10 more levels until something I actually want? Meh, whatever. Pay? HAHAHA, god no!"

vs.

"Gosh, dammit, I just got that-a-that module I really wanted! Now just to get that other one and these 3 too! Just few more levels and I will have everything I want... and that too! And since I have 95% of that, I can get that too... Gosh, I cannot wait, I guess I will pay to speed it up!"

In short - as wonderfully cynical you are, your view is just as outdated ^^'
In the mean-time till today the only F2P games I spent any money on remain the ones I enjoyed without paying and didn't feel the need to pay to enjoy.

May 26, 2016, 9:15 a.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2016, 9:19 a.m.

Get real, that's how the entire business model works. Cash flow has to come in somehow, so incentive so spend has to be created. There's nothing cynical (or evil) about it.

ShRv_Galileus#4630 posted (#post-36330)

In the mean-time till today the only F2P games I spent any money on remain the ones I enjoyed without paying and didn't feel the need to pay to enjoy.

That however is very true and what should be aimed for. If you put the progression thumb screws on too tightly you're more likely to lose players over it than force them to pay.

That's why you make small progression steps so players are not looking at a wall and ideally keep the micro in micro-transactions so players will think nothing of dropping some money.

May 28, 2016, 7:24 a.m.

The progression seemed fast to level, slow to unlock stuff, compared to, say, Warframe. But warframe uses a gazillion resources and systems to keep new things unlocking constantly but still leaving desirable real-money options. Tricky balancing act.

For what it's worth I feel like Warframe does a decent job of being fun to play free, but still getting nice perks if you pay. They keep it "fair" (little absolute advantage to paying) via a really long "grind". I am not sure I'd enjoy that in Dreadnought.

The multiplayer waypoint/tag system should be in the tutorial.

July 16, 2016, 1:14 p.m.

Will Devs be publishing a mock-up of the multiple choice questions? I Think it'd be pretty interesting to look through

My spaceship brings all the boys to the yard

Carrier-Class Ideas 1.6 | Module Ideas 1.1
T-Shirt Designs | Ship specific Voice-Packs

July 17, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

your survey is also cbt.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.