FORUMS

Idea for a redesign of Drain Effects

Posted: //
Feb. 6, 2017, 4:24 a.m.

Given how powerful they are, Drains are almost mandatory for some ships otherwise a target just shields and weathers your attack, but at the same time having your energy instantly drop from 100% to 0% sucks rather badly and is crippling to a ship.

Probably no ones going to like my idea but I figure Drains should be changed slightly.

Instead of draining instantly I think their debuff should completely disable Energy Regen(Including Energy gained from officer briefings, Modules could still grant energy since that's an active effect you have to choose to use.) and steadily drain energy for the duration of the debuff.

This would also allow the modules of different classes to have varying strength of energy drain. Single Target Torps could be rather potent, with Missiles just behind them. While Drain Pulse could be alot weaker in its drain strength due to its ability to hit multiple ships at once with it.

You can also carry this over into the drain effect that various Purge Modules utilize, it would give at least some brief time to react to the drain rather than instantly losing everything.

But that's just my two cents.

Feb. 6, 2017, 4:59 a.m.

Updated //
Feb. 6, 2017, 5:09 a.m.

Drains themselves are not powerfull IMO. Rockets - you can see them from a mile away and dodge. Or simply destroy them with counter-modules. Or they can even hit the ceiling and fail.

Pulses on the other hand - pulses overall should be nerfed IMO. Not just drain.
How is that fair, when an instant AOE ability with 30s cooldown has the same effect as 1 min cooldown single-target rocket, which takes AGES to hit?

Drain, Disrupt and Scramble pulses should be like 3 seconds TOPS. While stasis - 5s of 50% slow (not 10s of 90%).

"Hang in there!" (™)

Feb. 6, 2017, 5 a.m.

Updated //
Feb. 6, 2017, 5:02 a.m.

Aersdri#5059 posted (#post-102990)

Pulses overall should be nerfed IMO.
How is that fair, when an instant AOE ability with 30s cooldown has the same effect as 1 min cooldown single-target rocket, which takes AGES to hit?

Drain, Disrupt and Scramble pulses should be like 3 seconds TOPS. While stasis - 5s of 50% slow (not 10s of 90%).

Simple, The pulse puts you in harms way. The missiles I believe work out to 7km ^^ nerfing pulses has the knock on effect of buffing Corvettes.

A ship considered by many to be to strong as it is. Changing pulses affects the defenses of ships against corvettes

Feb. 6, 2017, 5:16 a.m.

ItsGary#1520 posted (#post-102993)

Simple, The pulse puts you in harms way. The missiles I believe work out to 7km ^^ nerfing pulses has the knock on effect of buffing Corvettes.

Rockets have WAY too many trade-offs for being ranged. Also, they can be counter-acted and they can fail, unlike pulse.

About vettes - they can simply introduce a variable duration for a pulse. Time is proportional to ship's health. The larger the ship, the lesser the effect. So vettes would stay unaffected by this change.

"Hang in there!" (™)

Feb. 6, 2017, 5:02 p.m.

The thing I find most annoying about drains, is that they affect everyone equally, yet punish different ships differently.

You have these nimble little corvettes, which are in essence 48% engine, 48% weapons, 4% uncomfortable seating, which take the same amount of drain as an enormous dreadnought, bristling with weapons and (you'd expect) redundant system design.

Why should they take the same drain damage? You'd think the designers of the Jutland would have thought about what would happen to the ship if a drain torpedo hit it - yet if it is drained, it's in a whole lot of trouble, and it has the added bonus of having the maneuverability of a beached blue whale to get itself out of danger.

Corvettes and destroyers at least have a little speed up their sleeves to get to cover, and if they do die, they're back in the fight in no time, whereas dreads have to plod their way slowly back to the frontlines.

I think larger ships should have drain/status resistance. The light ships in each line should have no resistance, maybe 20% for the mediums, and 33% or so for heavy ships - with bonuses for Dreadnoughts.

Feb. 10, 2017, 3:26 a.m.

I like that drains are instant. It helps to counter vets immensely, and lets you go after healers or other ships that would delay you until help arrived. But you gotta have that module equipped. But overall, it gives a quick instant counter to a secondary ability of all the ships. And you don't really need your energy. It's an auxiliary thing that just helps you do other stuff. You can hug a mountain top and pop in and out and almost never need to use shields.

It is especially troublesome on Dreads though, being so slow and losing your boost to speed by losing your entire energy pool. But I think thats just the risk of the game in what situations you put yourself in and how you expend energy. I'd say the pulse is generally okay, but could perhaps do with at tad less range. As fast ships like the Vindicta can really get in there fast and make it the worst. Not so much of a big issue on say the Gora line.. And the torps... well, torps kinda suck so... eh. lol. I'd say maybe a bit of a buffer like -20 points on the Dreadnoughts. But just a tad.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.