The game right now focuses a lot on scoring for yourself.
- Try to avoid maintenance by getting the most scores
- Try to get last hits to try and get a kill for credits and some points for your score (especially as healer)
- Try getting the most kills for yourself so you take the most out of the match
This introduces issues such as:
- Team builds, which requires modules that debuff rather than damage, they don't score well
- Healers which don't get rewarded with kills thus get less credits
- Non-healers which have a tough time scoring points vs a healer
- Teamplay, I will guarantee that I have the top score to avoid maintenance, don't care about the rest
- Shooting at a ship for 30 seconds + and get not even an assist (tacs, dola, jutland, etc)
If the rewards at the end are not solo based, but team based, I can go full CC mode and be a real asset to my team, without having the pressure to score. When playing the Aion or Koschei for example, at any given tier, I will often stop healing to try and get a last hit of someone who's about to die so I can get that bit of credits, even if that means my team member dies because of that.
I know it sounds selfish, but this is how the majority of the players play, including myself. The grind is pretty bad as it is and I take every bit of extra that I can do to make it more bearable.