FORUMS

Experience so far

Posted: //
Feb. 6, 2017, 1:23 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 6, 2017, 3:09 p.m.

I bought into the Closed Beta on January 21. I bought a Mercenary pack because of being older with no gaming reflexes, I opted for any advantage I could get. This w, a, s, d, Shift and Space for movement is still unnatural for me.

On my first day I got locked out of my account (didn't notice the CapsLock on) and eventually got back in. The next morning I found out that an unrequested refund had been initiated on my Mercenary pack. That left me with 3 ships instead of 10. A very long discussion with support eventually netted me a "free" Mercenary Pack after about 12 days without the ships and such that I have paid for. 15 days later I still have not seen the "refund", but support has been very gracious in their efforts to make things right. I can honestly commend them on their efforts to date.

I'm trying gaming to find something cheaper, but engrossing, than golf when I retire in a few years. I have friend my age who are gamers so I don't feel too out of place. I find most games have no interest for me. COD, WOW, LoL GTA5 etc. don't interest me in the least. WoT and WoW are intriguing, but haven't been sufficient to get me to jump in.

When I saw Dreadnought I was very intrigued. I talked to my sons (one in his last year in electrical engineering and the other a front end developer), expressing interest. They've been trying to get me to play video games with them since they were kids. One bought the Hunters pack and started playing. After a day or so, He told me that he was enjoying it and showed me some play.

I bit the bullet and bought the aforementioned Mercenary Pack. After some play with one son the other, who was watching, indicated an interest, so I sent him one of my invites. We had fun playing together, them doing relatively well, and me bringing up the bottom of the charts. Then we started getting pulled into Veterans matches. Very disheartening, especially for them. I continued to bring up the bottom of the score sheet, but got killed more frequently. Harder to progress when it's going by so fast, and your fingers still don't work.

My sons still get on occasionally, sometimes with me. I've continued with the grind. With my ships gone I had to work with the 3 tier ones everyone starts with. Luckily my GB points/gold did not go away, nor did my elite status. After a quick conversion of 2500 GB into 300,000 in silver, I had the means to open every ship required by the tree but one, to date, as soon as I could muster the experience points. I've been through the grind, in level 2, with only one 20,000 xp point ship still to get.

I've discovered that the Dreadnoughts move slow enough that I can almost keep pace with the movements with my struggling left hand. The Destroyer is almost as easy and the Tactical Cruiser play style I can almost get. Some styles of the Artillery Cruiser are OK, in fact I have most of my hours in one or the other. I'm somewhat hopeless with the Corvette, which both sons are quite proficient with.

I've come to terms with being pulled into Veterans matches. I'm marginally effective in a Tactical Cruiser. Less so in a Dreadnought or Destroyer. Mostly I try to help my team by not dying, or at least dying less. While I get better with the controls, it's not a bad strategy, even in recruit matches.

I'm not looking forward to Veterans matches until maintenance is worked out, even with about 15 tier 3 or tier 4 ships available. I intentionally keep my Veterans fleet unpopulated, to try to bias towards recruit matches.

Advice to noobs:
Buy Elite status if you don't have it. 30 days will get you through tier 2.
Buy GB points/gold and convert to about 200,000 in silver. Keep some gold for converting XP to FreeXP from leveled out ships/hero ships.
Play all of the ships in tier 2. Try to level them out with their own XP. I was principally interested in Artillery Cruisers, but I have found the others interesting and in some cases preferable. After watching my one son in a corvette, I want to master that ship also.

By then, we may have a reasonable maintenance and payouts for Veterans ships and above. If not, you can play tier 2 until it is no longer enjoyable. You will have spent about what a game costs to own and it should keep you entertained at least as long.

Feb. 6, 2017, 6:38 p.m.

I know you're old, layinout, but I freakin' love you man. I wish my dad gamed like you do.

Stick with it mate, I reckon you're an asset. Not only do you play a WASD style game on PC which TONNES of old guys just cannot wrap their head around, but you also add feedback to the forum, yet another rarity.

You're a freakin' unicorn.

Work Buy Consume Die

Feb. 6, 2017, 6:53 p.m.

Getting pulled into veteran games is a bug, the devs do not intend to have t1 and t2 ships play in veteran games. This game is after all a beta, which means the final release version is still in development. Considering you're new to gaming, it may be in your interest to try games that are fully released. Free games are your best bet, this will let you select a genre of games that interest you. Steam is generally a decent source for finding free games of just about any type. Once you found a genre you like, then look for games that are pay to own or a subscription. The developers have more money with those games and a lot of the time the games simply are better. I think this game has a lot of promise, but there are very clearly a lot of issues with the game, but that comes with any beta game.

A tip for future games in general, don't rush to the higher tier content. If you make a break-line straight for "end game" you most likely wont have the same skill set as other who are there. Take your time, enjoy the trip and by the time you get to the good stuff at the end of the game, you'lll have a much better chance at being able to use it correctly.

Feb. 6, 2017, 8:03 p.m.

Hi Zuroke,

This is the first game I have had sufficient interest in to try to play. All 5 of my kids game (even the girls) and so I've watched virtually everything released in the last 20 years. I remember watching my kids when the first XCOM game came out, one of the first that they played on computers instead of game systems.

I've made my peace with being pulled into Veterans matches. I posted, in another thread, the basics of a subroutine that I thought could be used for leveling tier 1&2 ships when that happens. No word on that yet.

I've friends that are older than me that play WoW, just no interest on my part.

The Mercenary pack was like my buying a premium paintball gun when we did that for a while. I knew this old codger would need all the help he could get. I did appreciate the GB points and the elite status. Made the grind a little less annoying. My sons play better than me, but I've leveled my ships faster. Now if I can just get used to the left hand mechanics.

Part of the problem is that I have very good reactions when using the graphics software at work. My software has about 100 keyboard shortcuts that are all over the keyboard, and speed is not the issue. Getting things right with the least rework is the issue. But the overlay for this game (and most other PC games, that I haven't played) is very counter intuitive to my 35 plus years of driving a 3 button mouse and using keyboard shortcuts.

Feb. 6, 2017, 9:43 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 6, 2017, 9:44 p.m.

You could try using a Game pad, if your hands can manage it, you might find it more comfortable than using the WSAD keys. I wouldn't worry about age being an issue.

Just on the front of paying into this game, while the Dev's will appreciate it I honestly regret putting money into this game at this stage due to all the issues there are still to be worked out at this point in development. The dev's really really need to sort out matchmaking, credit rewards for Vet and above and a lot of other niggling issues including server stability before I will spend any more money on this game.

I have all Tier 3 ships and refuse to play Vet until the cash situation is fixed and any Vet games I get dragged into I just leave and look for a different game.

Note: If it is space related games you are interested in try Ellie Dangerous.

Feb. 6, 2017, 10:02 p.m.

layinout#5947 posted (#post-103173)

Part of the problem is that I have very good reactions when using the graphics software at work. My software has about 100 keyboard shortcuts that are all over the keyboard, and speed is not the issue. Getting things right with the least rework is the issue. But the overlay for this game (and most other PC games, that I haven't played) is very counter intuitive to my 35 plus years of driving a 3 button mouse and using keyboard shortcuts.

Not sure if this would interest you or not, but I really enjoy using VoiceAttack with this game and a few others. VA is a small voice to keybinding app that, for instance, allows you to say things like "Shields", "Engines", Weapons" rather than using the energy wheel or pressing shortcut F keys to divert energy. Same with saying things like "Blink", "Torpedo", or whatever you want to name your voice to key binding. Before Dreadnought, I used this app in Elite Dangerous which has far too many bindings for a keyboard/mouse alone while keeping immersion.

Definitely love the immersion and responsiveness. I posted about Voice Attack and Dreadnought a while back:

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/8767/

Feb. 6, 2017, 10:04 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 6, 2017, 10:04 p.m.

Cristari#3312 posted (#post-103187)

You could try using a Game pad, if your hands can manage it, you might find it more comfortable than using the WSAD keys. I wouldn't worry about age being an issue.

Just on the front of paying into this game, while the Dev's will appreciate it I honestly regret putting money into this game at this stage due to all the issues there are still to be worked out at this point in development. The dev's really really need to sort out matchmaking, credit rewards for Vet and above and a lot of other niggling issues including server stability before I will spend any more money on this game.

I have all Tier 3 ships and refuse to play Vet until the cash situation is fixed and any Vet games I get dragged into I just leave and look for a different game.

Note: If it is space related games you are interested in try Ellie Dangerous.

I mean... Ellie is kind of dangerous yeah, but you would become dangerous too if you were a 14 year old girl who had to survive in a post apocalyptic world where fungus monsters are trying to eat you.

alt text

DN_cult#1584 posted (#post-101857) Currently in discussion / design: · ̶W̶a̶i̶f̶u̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s

Feb. 6, 2017, 10:12 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 6, 2017, 10:13 p.m.

Silver#9012 posted (#post-103189)

I mean... Ellie is kind of dangerous yeah, but you would become dangerous too if you were a 14 year old girl who had to survive in a post apocalyptic world where fungus monsters are trying to eat you.

LOL My Mechanical Keyboard is in desperate need of being cleaned and the spell checker gets a unchecked click every now and then. I of course meant Elite Dangerous smile

Feb. 7, 2017, 12:22 a.m.

layinout#5947 posted (#post-103173)

Hi Zuroke,

This is the first game I have had sufficient interest in to try to play. All 5 of my kids game (even the girls) and so I've watched virtually everything released in the last 20 years. I remember watching my kids when the first XCOM game came out, one of the first that they played on computers instead of game systems.

I've made my peace with being pulled into Veterans matches. I posted, in another thread, the basics of a subroutine that I thought could be used for leveling tier 1&2 ships when that happens. No word on that yet.

I've friends that are older than me that play WoW, just no interest on my part.

The Mercenary pack was like my buying a premium paintball gun when we did that for a while. I knew this old codger would need all the help he could get. I did appreciate the GB points and the elite status. Made the grind a little less annoying. My sons play better than me, but I've leveled my ships faster. Now if I can just get used to the left hand mechanics.

Ah I see, so you have been looking into games and your genre seems to be sci-fi/space sims. Well other options for the game are star conflict (a little pay to win and much harder to play though), in the opposite direction is eve online where the controls are much more simplified (mostly just pushing 1-x for your modules and click ur target).

However this is probably better than either of those games, I can recommend this mouse http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga it has 12 programmable buttons on the side, 2 on top making 14 in total. Using those 14 buttons along with shift or cntl for modifies makes for 36 keybindings all on a mouse. I own one and I could never imagine PC gaming without one ever again. It will take you a week or two to adjust to it, but afterwards it makes controls a breeze. Or as another player suggested you can get a gamepad (basically a console controller for a PC) and use that instead. I have one as well and enjoy it for certain games.

Feb. 7, 2017, 4:58 a.m.

Thanks for the write up.

I am an older gamer myself. Although nowhere close to retirement but a few of my clan mates are and this was a good read. If I could leave just one advice, I'd say it is 100% OK to specialize down one ship type. One where you feel competent enough to pilot and ultimately enjoy playing. Forcing yourself to 'learn' things you have no natural aptitude for will only burn you out.

Being pulled into Vet matches is currently a bug. If a vet player quits his match, the server will pull the first available replacement it can find. Even if it's someone who originally queued for Recruit. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Personally I'm grinding down ship lines I have no business flying coz I can take the grind. Searching YouTube and watching others is a decent way to learn what people are doing with those things. Something to consider if you insist on expanding your repertoire of ships to fly.

Anyways, thanks for sharing your experience. It was a good change than what usually pops up around here.

Good Luck with your fleet !

☜☆☞ no victory without war ☜☆☞

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.