FORUMS

oberon vetts

Posted: //
Feb. 9, 2017, 2:23 a.m.

So I don't really see the point in flying these, I mean yeah their guns can turn more but I really dont see much gain in flying oberon vetts. They're painfully slow in comparison to the others and without mobility a vett is a plump target. I see a decent number of people flying these guys, is there something I'm missing? If anyone flies one of these can you tell me what the reasoning for choosing it over the other vets is please.

Feb. 9, 2017, 2:54 a.m.

Updated //
Feb. 9, 2017, 2:57 a.m.

I fly T4 Oberon vette (only T4 I have right now). Reason why I went for it was kind of an accident. Before previous wipe, I wanted to get the Vindicta, which meant going through Oberon T3-4 vettes. By then I had learned to fly those vettes pretty well. After the last wipe, I had to do the same thing again, even though you can now get Vindicta already after T3 vette. At this point I was even better with those vettes, so this time I got the T4 volunteerly smile

As for you original question, with corvettes Imho it all comes down to your preferred play style, more than any other class. You need to have the right modules to support your play style. For me (and this is just for me), because Oberon corvettes are slower, I use modules to gain more speed. This helps to stay alive little longer while doing hit 'n' run fly by's. On slot 1 I have blink warp and slot 4 afterburner. There are other speed enhancing modules too, including 3 different kind of blink warps, but those two are what I'm using right now. Can't say if my preference changes, if I eventually get the T5 version.

Feb. 9, 2017, 9:42 a.m.

Sure the oberon vettes are slow but the 360 degree fire angle is what makes them special and more versatile compared to the other vettes. I just wish the handling was better... turn speed should really be looked into!

Feb. 9, 2017, 11:42 a.m.

Updated //
Feb. 9, 2017, 11:43 a.m.

Zuroke#5503 posted (#post-104291)

So I don't really see the point in flying these, I mean yeah their guns can turn more but I really dont see much gain in flying oberon vetts. They're painfully slow in comparison to the others and without mobility a vett is a plump target. I see a decent number of people flying these guys, is there something I'm missing? If anyone flies one of these can you tell me what the reasoning for choosing it over the other vets is please.

The 360 firing arc means you will never have to stop to shoot, the in-clip damage is pretty high, so you have a high chance of taking out a target before having to reload.

Regarding their speed, once you got access to the passives, called Officer Briefings, you can equip "Navigation Expert", which is on the T4 Oberon Corvette, and "Feedback Loop" which is on the T3 Jupiter Armes light Tactical the Palos, and can have power to engines always on, because the energy drain gets reduced by 50% and each module leaving cd grants you some energy. Then they feel much better, and you can fly circles around enemies for days.

Other rather end-game uses of the Oberon Corvette is the "Target Blink Warp", because you may not land with your guns pointing towards your enemy, or for the sneaky player, like the Outis, the Heavy Cloak, allowing you to stay cloaked while firing, but at the expense of double damage taken.

Recruit Engineer

Feb. 9, 2017, 6:01 p.m.

Yeah I can see the 360 firing arc being a big benefit, I actually do not have the target blink warp and thought that the improved firing range could possibly help with that depending on where it blinks you to. Do it always blink behind an enemy or will it just blink you directly next to them on whatever side (left, right, above, ect) you were already on? I absolutely love the ship design of all oberon vetts. However my T3 oberon vett is a struggle to go positive with while my T3 jupiter arms vet I can usually get a 3:1 K/D ratio with ease.

If you can more or less keep your power to you engines on at T4 constantly, does that mean you never switch to your guns during your hit? As it is I usually try to blink on a target, power to my guns, and drop a heavy torpedo before blinking away again. Will the damage boost of T4 mean I no longer need to put power to my guns to finish off those all so important tactical cruisers?

You guys have made some really good arguements for oberon vetts, and they look so sexy I was really hoping you guys would be able to. Because lets face it, how you look has some major bonus points to it hahaha.

Feb. 9, 2017, 6:04 p.m.

Zuroke#5503 posted (#post-104464)

Yeah I can see the 360 firing arc being a big benefit, I actually do not have the target blink warp and thought that the improved firing range could possibly help with that depending on where it blinks you to. Do it always blink behind an enemy or will it just blink you directly next to them on whatever side (left, right, above, ect) you were already on?

It drops you somewhere around your target.

I absolutely love the ship design of all oberon vetts. However my T3 oberon vett is a struggle to go positive with while my T3 jupiter arms vet I can usually get a 3:1 K/D ratio with ease.

You cannot fly them in the same way.

If you can more or less keep your power to you engines on at T4 constantly, does that mean you never switch to your guns during your hit? As it is I usually try to blink on a target, power to my guns, and drop a heavy torpedo before blinking away again.

You just play differently, you won't do kills that fast, but wear them down.

Will the damage boost of T4 mean I no longer need to put power to my guns to finish off those all so important tactical cruisers?

No, as the hp increases too, just different way of dealing damage.

You guys have made some really good arguements for oberon vetts, and they look so sexy I was really hoping you guys would be able to. Because lets face it, how you look has some major bonus points to it hahaha.

Again, don't fly them like the light Corvette, you need to adapt to the ship.

Recruit Engineer

Feb. 9, 2017, 6:09 p.m.

The old meta... which I'm fairly sure still applies here is they are actually some of the best hit and run corvettes in the game. Also really good harassment. Also decent anti corvette.

Corvettes that try to chase them get a bunch of burst fire to the face. All while it's blinking about and causing general havoc. It's a dreaded opponent to Artillery ships. Barring the win combos of the typical corvettes... they were the only ones capable of attacking at odd angles and maintaining the attack. They are also quite capable of constantly chipping away at some ships just out of reach.

A lot of balancing will be needed to sort them all out but you just have to find their role. Once you've got the feel down you'll learn to appreciate them.

Feb. 9, 2017, 6:11 p.m.

Updated //
Feb. 9, 2017, 6:14 p.m.

Thanks Jawayne. I think I'll try and not suck as bad with oberon vetts and give it a week to see if I can improve. If not I'll give up on looking awesome and return to my other vett. In similar games I've always played interceptor class ships that relied on high speed and mobility so it may be difficult to adapt but we shall see.
edit: And thank you Adavanter as well, you seemed to have posted your reply as I was typing this so I didnt see it until just now, sorry.

Feb. 10, 2017, 1:02 a.m.

Updated //
Feb. 10, 2017, 1:05 a.m.

Zeragon#8346 posted (#post-104414)

I just wish the handling was better... turn speed should really be looked into!

You can tighten your turning circle by lifting the nose of your ship. I mean, as you turn, tap the spacebar. This makes your ship to bank harder. Same thing with making your vette to dive while turning, but much less effective and slower, because descending is a lot slower then ascending even when flying straight forward.

This works too when you want to circle your enemy close by(ish). Just hold the spacebar and switch to descending, if you fly to high or enemy dives.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.