General Discussion

About cosmetics

POSTED //
Feb 09, 2017 at 07:05 PM UTC 

When you buy a cosmetic badge, decal, etc. is it only per ship, or does it unlock that item for your use on any ship in your fleet?

POSTED //
Feb 09, 2017 at 07:52 PM UTC 

Last Updated //
Feb 09, 2017 at 07:58 PM UTC

They are bound to that (sub)class only,for example if u bought one for tier 1 medium destroyer,it will be available for all its tiers till t5.The ones though that are included in founder packs or earned as codes are available for all your ships.

"The First Of His Name"

POSTED //
Feb 17, 2017 at 09:47 AM UTC 

Odin#5262 posted (#post-104443)

They are bound to that (sub)class only,for example if u bought one for tier 1 medium destroyer,it will be available for all its tiers till t5.The ones though that are included in founder packs or earned as codes are available for all your ships.

Just to clarify do you mean If I buy a hull coating for the Gravis I can only use it on the Gravis and the Lorica? And if I bought a hull coating for the Cerberus I could use it right up to the Aion?

POSTED //
Feb 17, 2017 at 10:16 AM UTC 

Last Updated //
Feb 17, 2017 at 10:17 AM UTC

Yes

Anything you buy cosmetically applies UP and DOWN that ships line.

edit: Actually that's coatings and skins. Emblems and decals are ship specific.

Work Buy Consume Die

POSTED //
Feb 17, 2017 at 05:33 PM UTC 

Enjoy being nickle and dimed!

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win." ― Zhuge Liang

POSTED //
Feb 18, 2017 at 02:49 AM UTC 

layinout#5947 posted (#post-104441)

When you buy a cosmetic badge, decal, etc. is it only per ship, or does it unlock that item for your use on any ship in your fleet?

Confirming what's been said. I unlocked bun bun for the T2 light arty and can use it on the others.

alt text

DN_cult#1584 posted (#post-101857)
Currently in discussion / design:
· ̶W̶a̶i̶f̶u̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s

POSTED //
Feb 27, 2017 at 02:33 PM UTC 

Cogs ticking inside my head. Let me get this straight, please.

Say I want all my ships painted in yellow-green colors (Bounty Hunters Guild variant, 400g).
Each manufacturer has 5 branches in their tech trees. There are 3 manufacturers (so far).

400g x 5 x 3 = 6000g
6500g = $49.99

Is that it?

POSTED //
Feb 27, 2017 at 04:36 PM UTC 

Kurim#7219 posted (#post-111073)

Cogs ticking inside my head. Let me get this straight, please.

Say I want all my ships painted in yellow-green colors (Bounty Hunters Guild variant, 400g).
Each manufacturer has 5 branches in their tech trees. There are 3 manufacturers (so far).

400g x 5 x 3 = 6000g
6500g = $49.99

Is that it?

As far as our understanding goes, I'm afraid so.

alt text

· ̶W̶a̶i̶f̶u̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s

POSTED //
Feb 27, 2017 at 06:02 PM UTC 

OberPonY#9012 posted (#post-111085)

Thanks, OberPonY. I feel it's indeed something to be afraid of. Pricey. Scary.

I really hope more coating packs will come, like the Yamshick Corporation Coating Selection, for a reasonable price. $10 sounds about fine for all ships; that pack is 800g and that same amount of gold would just paint two branches out of the existing 15 with the current pricing model.

Dreaming is still free as in "free beer", right? smile

POSTED //
Feb 27, 2017 at 08:19 PM UTC 

Kurim#7219 posted (#post-111097)

OberPonY#9012 posted (#post-111085)

Thanks, OberPonY. I feel it's indeed something to be afraid of. Pricey. Scary.

I really hope more coating packs will come, like the Yamshick Corporation Coating Selection, for a reasonable price. $10 sounds about fine for all ships; that pack is 800g and that same amount of gold would just paint two branches out of the existing 15 with the current pricing model.

Dreaming is still free as in "free beer", right? smile

Its one of the best and most effective methods of making money. So I can't really be irritated at it. Playing the game is free, and unlocking everything ship wise is free. Other than Elite, Credits, and Free XP conversion (which are all three luxuries to make the already unbearable grind a minuscule amount more bearable) The only thing that costs real money is purely aesthetic. $10 per ship branch is a bit steep I agree. I personally think $7 or $8 per branch is more fair ($35-$40).

But they have to make money some how. And there's really three options for doing that

1. Charge $30-$60 up front for the game
    a. This doesn't work because the game isn't simply a "release and forget" game. It's a constantly evolving project.
  2. Put certain features behind a paywall
    a. This is the worst option. It transforms a F2P game into a P2W. Or just dangles half the game infront of F2P players
  3. Charge for cosmetics, xp and credit boost.
    a. Which is by far the safest way to monetize a game. The majority don't feel FORCED to pay money and if they do it doesn't make them stronger than those who do. (Although current arguments in the community are Maintenance, and credit gain without elite make the game torture so you either suffer or give money)

I agree that cosmetic prices are quite steep. But I would rather not pay for anything other than those. Also, hero ships would be a good way to monetize but they are currently just not worth it.

But we have to keep in mind that it's not even in open beta yet. Things WILL change as they figure out more efficient methods. And personally, I believe that once open beta hits they will make enough money that they can afford to drop prices without going under.
I still want a black and silver coat for all my obies. (Miguel, make it happen smile)

alt text

· ̶W̶a̶i̶f̶u̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶n̶s

Register or login to create a topic or post a reply.