FORUMS

Dev Q&A Responses Compendium

Posted: //
March 20, 2015, 10:58 a.m.

Updated //
March 31, 2015, 2:50 p.m.

Hey everyone! We are concluding the Q&A Threads we previously had up and want to thank all of you for submitting questions to the Dev Team. We've compiled all those questions and answers in this Compendium and will add to it as more inquiries get addressed by Yager. Please feel free to continue asking your questions, but in the context of the message board as a whole (please remember to post in the appropriate section!).

If you notice we may have missed any nuggets of developer wisdom, feel free to message Drakane or myself directly and we'll be sure to add it to this list! :D:D:D

drmarianus: Will you be adding damage models to the game instead of straight up health bars? For instance specific modules of the ship taking damage.

A: At the moment we don't have any specific hitzones, but we definitly want to try somthing like that out in the future. We have to be careful though as such an addition might have an impact on the core gameplay.

drmarianus: will there be various game modes similar to how WarThunder does multiplayer where there is an "Arcade" mode where game mechanics/controls/damage, are simpler and more forgiving, and more simulator-esque modes where you have more control over your ship and there is more realism?

A: The controls in Dreadnought are pretty straight forward (ASDW for moving the ship, space and shift for ascending and decending, etc.). Simplify them even more will be difficult.
Having an isolated test area where you can try out differnt ship configurations is something that we would like to have in the future.

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

March 31, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

CrocDoc: Are in-game purchases going to be for buying the skins or they will be to buy equipment for the ship?

A: You won't be able to purchase anything that will give you a gameplay benefit. So there are no golden super-weapons that will kill you enemy with one shot. Dreadnought is all about big spaceships and therefore we first and foremost want to give all the Captains out there the possibility to build their own iconic ships using different paint jobs and color patterns, or figure heads.

Unrealxs: Will there be dinosaurs in a particular map? Or abandoned space monkeys in ancient NASA shuttles??

A: Dinosaurs are awesome! If we wouldn't make a game about big spaceships, we definitly would make one about dinosaurs. But coming back to your question... so far there is no sign of extraterestial life that is similar to what we know as dinosaurs. But space is pretty big and maybe one day the crew of a Dreadnought will encounter them... or find a lost NASA shuttle.

Dedadude: About multiplayer: there will be "bounties", like you have to kill a certain number of times a random selected enemy from the opposite team?

A: There will be something along those lines, yes. But we will talk about this later... so please be patient.

Sean McIntosh

March 31, 2015, 2:51 p.m.

CosmicNite: What are your long term goals for Dreadnought? Do you eventually see DLC or Expansions on the horizon? If so any clues on what they might be :D?

A: Dreadnought is free-to-play and therefore we can (and we want) to constantly expand the game and the universe.

CosmicNite: Will it be possible to mark an enermy target for a synchronised team attack??

A: Yes, you will be able to do that.

Nyanko: Will it be possible to bind each choice (weapons,speed,shield or nothing) on a separate key without having to use the toggle?

A: We can't go into details, but we plan to have different options for captains to manage the energy of their ships.

Sean McIntosh

March 31, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

CosmicNite: Dreadnought is going to be free to play :) What are your current business model plans?

A: You won't be able to purchase anything that will give you a direct gameplay benefit like one-shot-kill weapons. Dreadnought is all about big spaceships and our goal is that captains are able to build their own unique vessels.

Esarhaddon: In the panel at pax east there was a time that the screen during the ingame footage went fuzzy and static laden. There was a comment that it wasn't video error; care to comment on emp, jammers, or the type of countermeasure that causes such a phenomenon?

A: Sounds like someone got hit by a Scrambler Missile.

Ionenkanone: How is the development going what are the main goals at the moment and how many ship are disigned. Just want to know about the standing to get a feeling for whats coming.?

A: We are currently in Friends & Family and getting ready for the closed Beta phase (no, we don't have a date yet... please be patient). Currently we have 5 different classes (Dreadnought, Destroyer, Tactical Crusier, Artillery Cruiser, Corvette). Each class will feature different ships.

Sean McIntosh

March 31, 2015, 2:52 p.m.

DarkLoser: Rebounding on the Alien lifeform answer, will you plan on making other playable species and according ship designs for the players ? Or you want to keep the story and action to be exclusively centered on mankind (or something that looks human)?

A: This is a very good question. Unfortunatly we are not ready to answer it just yet....However, as you might know, Dreadnought also has Single Player that is focused on the backstory of the game universe.

DarkLoser: For Team Elimination mode: Will we be able to have multiple aircraft class and customization like for the Ships ? Like kind of Bombers and Interceptors style ?

A: We currently have 3 different fighters. A fighter jet, a bomber, and an interceptor. The latter can use its anti-missile laser to shoot down enemy missiles.

DarkLoser: Do you plan to make only team modes or will there be some free for all modes as well ? Will we see more than two teams in some team modes ?

A: We currently have no plans for a free-for-all mode. Almost all of Dreadnought's balance is around team play.

Sean McIntosh

March 31, 2015, 2:53 p.m.

DarkLoser: What are your plans on the map sizes, will you try to always get the approximative same size or will you try to do different sizes ?

A: Map sizes is actually an evolving form at the moment, and it's quite exciting really. We're actually investigating maps that are almost double the size of our ice map. A bigger map really opens up strategy planning for Team Elimination.

DarkLoser: I don't know if it really belong in this section, but do you plan anything on community creation (like the possibility to create content for the game, be it modes or maps or something else, and submit them to you for validation) ?

A: This is something we'd definitely like to do but we won't be able to do anything early on.

DarkLoser: Can I play as a little fighter and do a star wars remake by bombing a planet sized interstellar station ?

A: Since we don't have any planet destroying space stations, you'll have to settle with bombing large capital ships. :)

Sean McIntosh

Chipinator: Ever thought about big-team battle mode, something like 15-20+ people per team? I've always been a fan of large team games and it'd be cool to have two huge armadas fighting against each other?

A: It's been brought up several times and we've decided to keep it 5 v 5 for now. We feel that 5 v 5 is a nice sweet spot for team coordination. Too many players could turn into a spam-fest and any semblance of team play would be lost. There's also severe performance implications when you add a lot of players into a match. However, we may revisit this in the future.

CosmicNite: What type of perks are we likely to see from increased crew skill? Will it be along the lines reduced cool downs increased buff duration, and/or increased stats (weapon damage..etc)

A: While I can't say anything too specific you'll be able to pick an array of perks to suit your playstyle. For example, if I wanted to play as a carrier, I'd customize my officers to fit that style.

Marsuk: Are there any plans in Dreadnought with a talent tree or something similar?

A: In addition to being able to customize your ship, you'll be able to customize your crew. As your captain levels up, so will your crew, and new perks will unlock for your captain and officers. It's not a traditional talent tree, but there will be robust customization options available. You'll be able to customize your officer's name and appearance.

Sean McIntosh

CosmicNite: I think I've read somewhere that gameplay isn't going to be effected by things like gravity, wind resistance ...etc making space and planet battles balanced?

A: Some weapons and abilities are indeed affected by gravity. For example, missiles have a better vertical thrust in space/low gravity environments.

Chipinators: Let me first get a stupid question out of the way, once you spawn in the small fighter ship after dying can you continue to die and respawn in the small fighters? Or it is like a second life thing where its Capitol Ship > Small Fighter Dead?

A: You can continually respawn as a fighter as long as the round is still going on. Once the round ends you'll be put back into your capital ship of choice. As far as how powerful fighters are vs capital ships, I would have to say it's like a single Cylon raider vs the Galactica.

Sean McIntosh

CodexMMO : Will Dreadnought require a Steam account? Or be available direct? Or be available both ways?

A: At this point of development we are working our own standalone launcher. I can image that allot of people would prefer Steam - I personally use it quite a lot myself. But to publish a game on Steam, there is more than meets the eye. There are certain rules a game has to be adhered to, there are certain things that have to be implemented and last but not least there is contractual stuff that I'm really not familiar with in order to talk about.

I'm not saying it will never come. But at this point we are working hard on our launcher and make it as convenient as possible.

Sean McIntosh

March 31, 2015, 2:54 p.m.

BlackFlag : Will they be individual transactions or will we be buying virtual currency? If we are buying blocks of your virtual currency, will we be able to make more than one character per email to share said block of currency?

A: Virtual currency will be bound to one account. We will not be able to share this between multiple accounts due to some security and legal issue that this would bring along. But we are currently investigating the option to gift items to other players and are eager to add this in the future. That might be a good way to work around that limitation.

To answer the questions about virtual currency. Yes - you will buy virtual currencies and you will have to buy that in chunks.
But the reason for that is not our constant endeavor to maximize our profits ;)
First of all - paying with real money is a critical step. If you give us your credit card number (or any other payment information for that matter) we are better ensure that this is save and can't be abused. And even if we are sure, we better check twice. This process is therefore a bit more complex and not something we don't want to mix and mingle with your normal shop experience.
And the other half of this problem - Money. If you pay with your credit card (and again - every other payment method for that matter) the company behind that would like a slice from this pie. And this slice is usually a fixed amount that they will keep. That means, the lower the amount your are paying, the more percentage of that money will be retained. Up to a point where none of your hard earned money is received by us.
This is for no one of any interest.
So unfortunately we need to ensure that you pay a minimum amount of real money to ensure you don't invest more into a credit card company than in our game. And obviously we neither want to sell you overpriced stuff and crazy bundles just to account for that minimum fee.

We would certainly like to allow you to only pay for what you want. But business is a nasty place and we need to compromise at some point. We try our best to design the pricing as fair as possible for everybody.

Sean McIntosh

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.