FORUMS

Purge Beam issues

Posted: //
June 14, 2016, 7:42 a.m.

I noticed that, at least according to the debuff icons, purge beam fails to apply the scramble affect most of the time you use it.

Usually you just get this:

Only sometimes you get the full range of effects:

Screenshots from a training match in case that's relevant.

Also are the other effects intentional (weapon breaker on self, armor breaker on both self and enemy)? They do not match the tooltip (I know, that doesn't say much) nor other purge effects in the game.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

June 14, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

Updated //
June 14, 2016, 12:34 p.m.

Considering the scramble was supposed to be gone from all purge modules, I am surprised it appeared anyway.
And yeah, considering the power that the purge beam can have if used right, those self debuffs seem just fine.

June 14, 2016, 1:52 p.m.

Updated //
June 14, 2016, 1:53 p.m.

DESU_Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-38323)

Considering the scramble was supposed to be gone from all purge modules, I am surprised it appeared anyway.
And yeah, considering the power that the purge beam can have if used right, those self debuffs seem just fine.

Yeah it's a bit over the top, it purges energy, disrupts, scrambles and debuffs armor.

Also it's not about whether there should be self-debuffs, (of course there should, as far as I'm concerned also plenty more of those on the purge ram) it's rather whether those are the correct ones. They seem rather benign for something you can apply from the safety of range. At least add self-applied stasis on top of that.

But anyway, this is mainly a bug report for the way it is currently supposed to work, a balance discussion is best had elsewhere.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

June 14, 2016, 4:27 p.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-38334)

DESU_Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-38323)

Yeah it's a bit over the top, it purges energy, disrupts, scrambles and debuffs armor.

Also it's not about whether there should be self-debuffs, (of course there should, as far as I'm concerned also plenty more of those on the purge ram) it's rather whether those are the correct ones. They seem rather benign for something you can apply from the safety of range. At least add self-applied stasis on top of that.

But anyway, this is mainly a bug report for the way it is currently supposed to work, a balance discussion is best had elsewhere.

Yeah as its written now it should still do all of that and its not. I notice that myself at times. Though honestly people don't seem to use it as much as I would think.

June 14, 2016, 5:59 p.m.

The scramble effect was removed from all purge items a long time ago. The tooltips just have not been updated since alpha, so that's why it still claims to have that effect. The purpose of armor breaker on yourself is to prevent the beam from becoming too powerful, after all, if you could just drain and disrupt the abilities of those around you as a healer, and then go right back to what you were doing worry free, it would break the game. It'd create situations of the one man army tac cruiser who could do it all better than a destroyer, a dread, a corvette, anything. The armor breaker on the opponent is to encourage team play, because you can absolutely melt a target while that effect is active, without them being able to do much about it. I know, because it's one of the most effective ways people counter me currently. Then again, they usually have a build made out specifically to counter me, so that should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

description

June 14, 2016, 6:08 p.m.

Updated //
June 14, 2016, 6:10 p.m.

Draggommer#5725 posted (#post-38353)

The scramble effect was removed from all purge items a long time ago. The tooltips just have not been updated since alpha, so that's why it still claims to have that effect.

So you say, yet I posted a screenshot showing scramble is still in, just not all the time.

As to the rest: Purge beam is the strongest purge out there because it drops both energy=shields AND damage resistance, and on the other hand it's rather risk free for the tac using it, it does not even stasis or disrupt you for the duration, you can just cloak/evac through the whole thing from range and near perfect security if you want to. So my point is that I'm wondering if that's intentional - because it seems unbalanced to me - or possibly also a bug same as the scramble thing.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.