General Discussion

Anybody successfully integrated a joystick?

POSTED //
Feb 15, 2017 at 06:54 PM UTC 

Just wondering if anyone has successfully integrated a joystick to replace the keyboard functions. This left handed keyboarding to fly around is still perplexing. And I've got about 30 hours of play, over 3+ weeks, into this game so far.

POSTED //
Feb 15, 2017 at 08:52 PM UTC 

I can't help you there, the game doesn't even recognize the extra boutons on my mouse...

Admiral: "What is best in Dreadnought!"
Knight_ldr: "To crush the enemy's ships, see them lit ablaze under your canons and hear the lamentations of their crewmen!"
Admiral: "That is good! That is good!"

POSTED //
Feb 15, 2017 at 08:57 PM UTC 

Last Updated //
Feb 15, 2017 at 08:59 PM UTC

As the game's inputs are not analog, you might want to use a joystick to keyboard software and simply map the joystick's inputs to the regular keyboard controls.

POSTED //
Feb 16, 2017 at 03:58 PM UTC 

Mapping the joysticks movements and buttons to keys was my assumed solution. Was just hoping someone else had been down this road.

POSTED //
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:36 PM UTC 

Last Updated //
Feb 16, 2017 at 11:44 PM UTC

Don't bother. Just get used to WASD.

Why, you ask?

Because you just won't get enough buttons near your fingers (on a joystick) to replace all the other buttons that sit near WASD that you use constantly (on keyboard).

You'd need a minimum of 14 buttons, coupled with the joystick axes, if you were to do away with the left hand resting on a keyboard.

I've got a pretty comprehensive HOTAS setup, and just glancing over at it I can see it doesn't have that many buttons within easy reach of 1 hand, even if you included multiple coolie hat axes as buttons.

edit: and if you were considering using a HOTAS to completely replace keyboard and mouse, then I guarantee your performance will be even worse than you think it may be now. A 3rd person shooter like this, a keyboard and mouse user will SLAUGHTER people attempting to aim with rate limiting peripherals like joysticks and controllers. There's just NO comparison, and it's a huge reason why cross platform play isn't a thing between pc users and console gamers.

Work Buy Consume Die

Register or login to create a topic or post a reply.