FORUMS

Ability to Strafe

Posted: //
June 29, 2016, 12:25 p.m.

Updated //
June 29, 2016, 1:04 p.m.

I'm still new to Dreadnought but ship movement seems very awkward. I'm surprised that ships do not have the ability to strafe but instead just turn left or turn right. I'd like to see strafing implemented into basic ship movement and I think it would add a move enjoyable ship movement experience.

June 29, 2016, 1:35 p.m.

Look at all the forum posts involving strafing, read all of the reasons as to WHY it would make the game unplayable.
Thanks, I don't feel like posting the reasons, again ...

I am addicted to Dreadnought like I am addicted to Brake Fluid, I can stop anytime.

Just remember to always shoot the ship being healed and never change tactics and then complain why you lost.

June 29, 2016, 3:55 p.m.

Forum search for the win... Anyway it wasn't added because they wanted the ships to be more slow and ponderous with their movements. It would be kind of odd seeing a monarch straffing in and out of cover lol.

June 29, 2016, 8:30 p.m.

WarViper1337#8868 posted (#post-39495)

it wasn't added because they wanted the ships to be more slow and ponderous with their movements. It would be kind of odd seeing a monarch straffing in and out of cover lol.

Yeah,they wanted to give the feel that you are "riding" a submarine.Sort of at least.Anyway i will have to agree on ships at that size strafe would be seem silly,its better this way.

"The First Of His Name"

June 30, 2016, 7:02 p.m.

Updated //
June 30, 2016, 7:03 p.m.

Odinous#5262 posted (#post-39503)

WarViper1337#8868 posted (#post-39495)

it wasn't added because they wanted the ships to be more slow and ponderous with their movements. It would be kind of odd seeing a monarch straffing in and out of cover lol.

Yeah,they wanted to give the feel that you are "riding" a submarine.Sort of at least.Anyway i will have to agree on ships at that size strafe would be seem silly,its better this way.

It's not anymore silly than them being able to go straight up and down, if anything you could argue it down at least being more silly than sideways strafe on the planetary maps at least, since you are going directly against gravity when going down and as such would need more engine power (and remember sideways/up/down movement does not use the big engines on the back but small engine mounted all across the hull of the ships).

So yeah if there are gameplay reasons fair enough, but please stick to those, since from a logical and realistic viewpoint it does not make sense to not have sideways strafing

June 30, 2016, 7:09 p.m.

Updated //
June 30, 2016, 7:11 p.m.

Huh? The gravitational force vector points towards the planetary center of mass, i.e. down as well, so that makes perfect sense. Also if you got an anti-gravity device on those ships it would make sense that you could manipulate it's strength or raise or lower the ship.

However, "it's a game" is a perfectly sufficient explanation for me, anyway. No strafing is a rather essential part of game play and that's that.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

June 30, 2016, 7:34 p.m.

Honestly, it makes gameplay more challenging. Which is a good thing. Having limits to the direction you can go means you have to make sure you're moving into the right position the right way. That and where would you put the strafe buttons? I've got Q, W, E, R, A, S, D, F in use already.

Born to ride the storm description

July 1, 2016, 4:58 a.m.

Strafe would make more sense if there was actual inertia. We are indeed sort of piloting submarines.
No conservation of force, nearby explosions deal damage, sound, etc.
Still a fun game.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

July 2, 2016, 8:47 p.m.

ive seen strafeing in space games before. like tachyon the fringe, made pvp brutal. acceptable in that game since its built around fighters and bombers. However these are dreadnoughts. not your moms VW bug. cant make things to rediculous...lol

July 3, 2016, 1:17 a.m.

Updated //
July 3, 2016, 1:18 a.m.

Domonhur#0929 posted (#post-39662)

ive seen strafeing in space games before , made pvp brutal. acceptable in that game since its built around fighters and bombers. However these are dreadnoughts. not your moms VW bug. cant make things to rediculous...lol

Seriously though,the movement is fine,its more challenging,your ships take time to turn and you always need to think where to take your position.I prefer it that way,the more you play,the more you learn how to move correctly(and your surroundings),the more you gonna enjoy it.No strafe for me please.

"The First Of His Name"

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.