FORUMS

Minimap and orientation

Posted: //
April 1, 2015, 6:49 p.m.

Updated //
April 1, 2015, 6:50 p.m.

so after watching another video of pax east footage, i actually noticed that the minimap has no indicators for north/east/south/west - while i understand that in space combat that might not actually make sense i still would like some sort of indication as far as directions go so you can better communicate enemy locations with your teammates

i also noticed that currently the minimap only is a roster without any terrain showing on it, would it be possible to make it show the terrain and maybe larger objects so you also have obstacles on the minimap

ofc an option two turn these to things on/off would be great
also an option to fix the minimap in one direction or have it turn with you would be appreciated

edited for spelling

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

April 2, 2015, 2:17 a.m.

Updated //
April 2, 2015, 2:18 a.m.

I agree,

I would like the ability to resize the minimap in battle as well, also have you looked into being able to rearrange the UI so a player can have a custom setup?

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

April 2, 2015, 7:31 a.m.

Updated //
April 2, 2015, 7:32 a.m.

I think it would be nice to have the firing arcs of the player ship shown too.

April 2, 2015, 9:31 a.m.

Updated //
April 2, 2015, 9:56 a.m.

I definitely think there should be some sort of directional indicators on the minimap, even a simple N/S/E/W. Since ships are always on a 2D axis you wouldnt need to add any z component to the minimap. Also this screenshot's minimap has terrain on it but I remember at PAX it didn't so not sure on that, probably still being worked on.

My minimap idea, circle instead of square, directional indicators and will rotate based on where your ship is facing. Ship icon on the minimap would be static and the directional indicators would rotate around the circle. Also the altitude of your ship listed on the right side of the minimap by the dot

Zynryuk#3297 posted (#post-1806)

I think it would be nice to have the firing arcs of the player ship shown too.

Firing arcs for abilities like the Dreadnought's barrage? Weapons fire is basically a straight line so I don't know how viable it would be to have firing arcs, especially when it's more of a fast paced game.

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

April 2, 2015, 9:34 a.m.

That looks great Chip, love the altitude gauge idea as well.

Detected three minor impacts across the bow, No damage registered, Probably just debris, Sir.

April 2, 2015, 9:57 a.m.

CosmicNite#9570 posted (#post-1811)

That looks great Chip, love the altitude gauge idea as well.

Thanks, I might change the color and size of the altitude gauge but just quickly made it between classes.

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

April 2, 2015, 10:06 a.m.

well if there are screenshots with terrain on it that's good then, had not seen those before, but yea an altitude meter would also be great i think, helps with immersion and orientation as well

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

April 2, 2015, 11:04 a.m.

Updated //
April 2, 2015, 11:07 a.m.

I thought of visible firing arcs because it'd give you a direct, immediate idea about how wide a weapon can range, and when/if a target is into the reach of your fire.

Let's take a dreadnought broadside for instance: Wouldn't it be easier to operate a quick decision on either firing it or not if you knew to have your target in it's arc or not?

I picture myself a situation where you are under siege, quick thinking will make the difference and you gotta fire or die, but... oh nooo! I fired it too quickly because I thought I was aligned correctly, instead I am completely off. Dead... d'oh xD

April 2, 2015, 11:22 a.m.

Zynryuk#3297 posted (#post-1818)

I thought of visible firing arcs because it'd give you a direct, immediate idea about how wide a weapon can range, and when/if a target is into the reach of your fire.

Let's take a dreadnought broadside for instance: Wouldn't it be easier to operate a quick decision on either firing it or not if you knew to have your target in it's arc or not?

I picture myself a situation where you are under siege, quick thinking will make the difference and you gotta fire or die, but... oh nooo! I fired it too quickly because I thought I was aligned correctly, instead I am completely off. Dead... d'oh xD

Actually it's already indicated if you are in range for your abilities. When you look under the health bar of an enemy, you can see your abilities displayed. If they are grey, you are out of range. If they are green you are within range to use it. The broadsides also take into account if you are in the firing arc.

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

April 3, 2015, 5:51 a.m.

Updated //
April 3, 2015, 5:53 a.m.

Shakes head not talking about how far an ability can hit, rather how wide... like an angle.

Let's say a ship has cannons with a fixed rotation going from +45 degrees to -45 degrees (90 degrees total).

Like on Star Trek Online, if you hover with mouse on a weapon icon, it will momentarily display the angle it can shoot into, not how far it can reach.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.