FORUMS

Laser Lock-on is BAD

Posted: //
July 8, 2016, 11:07 a.m.

As a healer, if you have two targets in close proximity the lock-on mechanic is very frustrating. If you're in an Aion and trying to heal and do damage to a target that is close to being directly in front of your heal target, it can become impossible. Please take out the lock-on mechanic and just let us AIM!!!!

I got tired of waiting for the wipe... So alt here I come!

July 8, 2016, 11:25 a.m.

Meee#6983 posted (#post-40045)

As a healer, if you have two targets in close proximity the lock-on mechanic is very frustrating. If you're in an Aion and trying to heal and do damage to a target that is close to being directly in front of your heal target, it can become impossible. Please take out the lock-on mechanic and just let us AIM!!!!

The "lock-on" should be strong if you are using right click, and weaker if you are not using it, this could help. Besides this, the game needs some lock, because the camera is not aligned with the turrets and needs to compensate for distance etc, thus it cannot be removed.

Recruit Engineer

July 8, 2016, 3:25 p.m.

Meee#6983 posted (#post-40045)

You're misunderstanding one crucial thing: You are not supposed to attack to begin with. The damage of the beams is tiny, you're always better off just healing your ally (unless your ally isn't even getting attacked and you're sitting in his place, but that means that your team is doing something wrong or the enemy team is doing something right).
At this point we can turn this around and say it's possible to have your beam locked on your enemy instead of your ally (even though you want to heal your ally). But well, this is something that's perfectly fine IMO. Why? Because it gives CQC more options. Blocking the LoS (Line of Sight) between your target and the target's healer is a viable strategy.

July 8, 2016, 3:41 p.m.

He does not want to deal damage, he wants to heal but the snap-to-target function puts his beam on the closer enemy ship. And I agree it's a very annoying mechanic, particularly on artillery cruisers when you cannot easily hit the enemy because your aim is snapping to a building/the ground instead of the clearly visible enemy ship.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

July 8, 2016, 4 p.m.

Also quite a few times I want to heal one ship, but the beam locks on to another one with full health even though I am clearly aiming at the other ship that got maybe less than half health.

Yes you should not be able to fire your beam through a ship to another one you want to hit (either for healing of dmg), but if you can find any part of a ship exposed to your line of sight then you should be able to hit it at that point.

Also Wyv are you saying I am not supposed to deal dmg with the cattaro beam either? That is quite a flawed logic you got there...

July 8, 2016, 4:30 p.m.

Updated //
July 8, 2016, 4:32 p.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-40072)

He does not want to deal damage, he wants to heal but the snap-to-target function puts his beam on the closer enemy ship. And I agree it's a very annoying mechanic, particularly on artillery cruisers when you cannot easily hit the enemy because your aim is snapping to a building/the ground instead of the clearly visible enemy ship.

So even after re-reading it 2 times I misunderstood (and thought he wanted to deal damage, not heal). D4mn me.
Either way, I also explained this possibility and why it's fine IMO. So there's no issue. It's an perfectly valid mechanic in order to reward risky CQC gameplay.

Edit:
As for the artillery cruiser, I agree, this is a long-persisting flaw that has yet to be fixed. That the and fact that fighter squads can block the shots (that bullet is probably as big as the fighter itself...).

Gummiel#9225 posted (#post-40075)
Also Wyv are you saying I am not supposed to deal dmg with the cattaro beam either? That is quite a flawed logic you got there...

If anything your logic is flawed here. I do not recall that we're talking about the Neko here. The Koschei obviously can't do damage with it's main-beam. And the Aion's damage is really low as well (granted, on range it still seems to be higher than the damage of the Neko).

July 8, 2016, 4:44 p.m.

DESU_Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-40076)

That the and fact that fighter squads can block the shots (that bullet is probably as big as the fighter itself...).

Nothing like having your purge shot "eaten" by a passing fighter squadron. I don't know if I should laugh or cry in those situations. Of course you could argue that it's part of the skill set not to hit them, but they're really hard to see at range. smile

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

July 9, 2016, 3:58 p.m.

Laser seems to be locking on to terrain a lot more this patch as well...

I got tired of waiting for the wipe... So alt here I come!

July 10, 2016, 11:42 a.m.

DESU_Wyvyrias#8434 posted (#post-40076)

Gummiel#9225 posted (#post-40075)

If anything your logic is flawed here. I do not recall that we're talking about the Neko here. The Koschei obviously can't do damage with it's main-beam. And the Aion's damage is really low as well (granted, on range it still seems to be higher than the damage of the Neko).

The thread is about the beams of the tactical, so that would include the Cattaro as well...

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.