FORUMS

7/13 Twitch Stream Synopsis (Unofficial/Beta/Mockup)

Posted: //
July 13, 2016, 10:26 p.m.

Zerek#7494 posted (#post-40438)
Oh come on, people have been complaining about the progression system since Closed Beta began (and probably before that as well). Honestly what did you expect them to do? Give out ships for free or something?

The core gameplay is still the same. There will still be 15 ships in Tier 5 when progression_2.0 rolls out, just like there is past rank 25. Currently though you probably won't be able to save up for all the ships until you're rank 50 anyways. With the new system players are even given incentive to focus on their favorite role and being justly rewarded with new unlocks specifically for that role. I play overwhelmingly Tac Cruisers, and the fact that playing Tacs will allow me to get new modules and ships specifically for the Ship Class is absolutely great.

It seems you do not realize which issues this may bring over us.
Let us go through it:

Tier brackets - There's the chance that you get matched against either more or less powerful reskins of the ships you already own. There is nothing special about this. It's simply a raw difference in stats.
That alone is already worth a sh1tstorm, because it only decreases any fun.

Match making - In short, more tiers means that the people we have are getting distributed across different tiers, making the queue times even worse.

Dynamic of random teams - We already have so much flame from random teams. But if people actually have to follow down an entire tree just for 1 class, they probably end up with a single ship/class around tier >2 or 3. Unless the match making accounts for that (and if it will, queue times will be even worse), you'll find yourself in a match with a team that has 5 healers or something like that, and no one can change, because that's all they have.

Those problems may or may not be as crucial as I describe them, but it's possible.

July 13, 2016, 10:40 p.m.

I see serious match making issues. I have played tiered games before so I know what happens when there is a small player base. High tier players have to be matched with someone. There is no way that a teir 5 can exist alone unless it is very easy to get into. Otherwise you will hit tier 5 and have an extremely hard time getting matched or just keep getting matched up against try hard teams that are going to roll over a solo player. The system they are proposing divides the already small player base into 3 parts now. I love dreadnought but thinking it will pull the same numbers as WoT is foolish. WoT is a freak of gaming nature because it is difficult to explain why it is so popular compared to its "peers".

July 13, 2016, 11:41 p.m.

have to agree, this stream made me really worried about DN's future.
seems they somehow take it as a given that there's gonna be hundreds of people online at any given time to fill the matchmaking on all tiers.

also a bit dissapointed that they decided to do a copy paste of the 'tier'/repair/.. system of every other game i've seen in this arena/'vehicle(ship)' type of game, without having anything remotely unique at this point.

all i can say is: at this point it's best to just leave the game and come back in a few months when they finialized the design and hope they didnt fall for all the obvious potential traps you see right now.

oh and: with this system the game is gonna be really hit or miss on launch:
either they get tons of players, manage to retain that player base and have it working,
or they dont have the playercount to keep up the tiered mm, have those remaining players near instaquit due to no matches and game dies (potential for the game dieing is extremely high with this decision)

World of dreadnoughts ftw!

July 14, 2016, 12:09 a.m.

I had high hopes for this game when I first got into it in Alpha. Now I find it a waste of time to continue having any hopes for it. I don't find these changes appealing, at all.

I was going to elaborate on why I don't find these changes appealing, but ya know... SixFoot buried themselves 6ft under by continuing to use the PoS forum software.

"That's all folks!"

'Member when SixFoot tried to justify making Dreadnought P2W? I Do! No seriously I 'member! Also 'member "The Article"? I 'member!
SixFoot, a very accurate company name. They only bury their games Six Feet under.

July 14, 2016, 4:03 a.m.

Like others have said before me, I too am very disappointed at the revealed Tier system. Personally I would've loved a "Mechwarrior"-esque approach where almost everything (except for select premium stuff) is unlocked for everybody right from the start, and you just need to earn in-game currency to buy what you want.

July 14, 2016, 4:05 a.m.

As a former player of several types of WoT-style games, I can only hope that Yager comes to their senses and doesn't go down the "Tier"- techtree way. Especially those repair costs are a system that is implemented to get the player to pay money. I played a lot of WoT, without premium. In !!! 5 Months !!! (in which I played around 2-4 hours per day) I only got to Tier 6 with ! one ! nation. Please, Yager, think about these changes...

I played your game first on Gamescom last year (2015) and it was fantastic. I talked with some of you guys and heard about the visions you had for this game. This, now, looks completely different.
I know you have to make money with the game, but you might just aswell release it for a set price (like 40 bucks or something) and have subscription fees or so.

I'd really hate to see the game go down this path. And you can set your bets that I won't keep playing this game with "repair costs"... I just hate that kind of money-grabbing.

Please, Yager, I can't stress this enough. You already have a really strong competition on the f2p market. If you want to stay out of the crowd, then you have to be unique, and with this system, you are doing the exact opposite: You blend into the crowd and will soon be forgotten.
If you can't compete with the other games, then don't. Go PayToPlay and I'll gladly give my 13 bucks a month to you, as long as the game doesn't feel unfair or frustrating.

Can we have a poll on this? I mean, you have the community for that reason, right?

July 14, 2016, 4:49 a.m.

I've thought about why I have this revulsion for the tier system shown, and besides immediate suspicions of "Pay to Win" and and a general scepticism of both changes ( that's my fault, really) and long grinds, I think it is about the conclusion they came to based on the data they had.

Now, the following is just my opinion, and others may genuinely like grinding, as I have said myself in the past.

@Devs
So, the data you had apparently said that people like most unlocking a new ship, but unlocking ships was also the least fun part.
Have you considered that some of those people like unlocking new ships because then they have a new ship, which offers them more choices, a new perspective, an entirely new ship with a new feel?
And that they dislike the unlocking process because they actually have to unlock it, grinding up to several hours for the weaker players just to get that new playstyle?
And now your answer is: "Hey, now you have to unlock even more ships, but don't worry, they are less different now!"

I am mildly sceptical about that train of thought.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

July 14, 2016, 8:43 a.m.

Yagers problem is that they fundamentally misconstrued the feedback they got from players.

They saw everyone saying "THIS IS GREAT, MOAR!" and thought we wanted warmed over versions of the same content we already have.

However most players wanted to see new ships, new manufacturers (I want a Scumbelt Pirate Dreadnought), and new classes of ships (carriers, mainline battleships, Frigates).

I'd gladly give you money for new dreadnoughts offered by different manufacturers released on a regular schedule. I'm not participating in this tier bullshit. All the ships need to be balanced against each other. If you can't handle that, fire your playbalance guy and find someone who can do that simple job.

July 14, 2016, 9:26 a.m.

NTDF-Gierling#4700 posted (#post-40490)

Yagers problem is that they fundamentally misconstrued the feedback they got from players.

They saw everyone saying "THIS IS GREAT, MOAR!" and thought we wanted warmed over versions of the same content we already have.

However most players wanted to see new ships, new manufacturers (I want a Scumbelt Pirate Dreadnought), and new classes of ships (carriers, mainline battleships, Frigates).

I'd gladly give you money for new dreadnoughts offered by different manufacturers released on a regular schedule. I'm not participating in this tier bullshit. All the ships need to be balanced against each other. If you can't handle that, fire your playbalance guy and find someone who can do that simple job.

A simple job are you saying? smile
How would you ballance rock, scissors, paper this way?

Otherwise I agree that I would rather see new ships, new manufacturers, new customization or at least balance changes. I believe something new will be included as well. Just wait until see how it goes.

July 14, 2016, 9:30 a.m.

NTDF-Gierling#4700 posted (#post-40490)

More likely they ran the numbers on cosmetics sales and the red flag was raised.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.